Question about feeds - some analog?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rawmotion

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Los Angeles
According to Lyngsat, almost all satellites use DVB for video. However, I've noticed that for some of the feeds, the video encryption method is listed as "NTSC" rather than "DVB." Also, there is no symbol rate listed. Does this mean they're analog?

Yes, these are analog. You can use an older analog satellite receiver from the 80s, they will work fine. Connect the analog receiver to the IF loop out on the DVB receiver, and let the DVB receiver control polarity. Either turn the LNB power on the analog receiver off or use an inline DC block to prevent the analog receiver from injecting power into the line. Another consideration is to be sure to use a standard (L.O. 10750) LNB.

In the analog world, one transponder equals one channel, so no need for a blind scan. Just channel surf to see whats up there :) Not much on Ku except during College Football season...

In the analog world, one transponder equals one channel, so no need for a blind scan. Just channel surf to see whats up there :) Not much on Ku except during College Football season...
Well then it makes perfect sense for networks to want to switch to DVB - more channels and clean digital picture.

I assume that the news feeds get sent from the news crew's location to the studio for editing / compositing into a live program. That live program then gets sent out on ANOTHER satellite / cable channel, of course. My question is, does this mean that the final edit has now been compressed twice? I suppose it would have to. It seems like the quality loss would be substantial after editing MPEG2 compressed source footage. In my business I request the highest possibly quality footage from clients, preferably uncompressed or original camera footage (if shot in a compressed format like DV, HDV, DVCPROHD, etc). After color correcting / adding lower thirds / other graphics to the image, then RECOMPRESSING it to go out again on another channel, it seems like you'd be left with a pretty blocky compressed mess!

Compared to the original uplink, what we see on Dish network, for example, is a mess. Certainly, not all the quality they could muster, but they are in the bandwidth business, and don't need to provide any more than the minimum. The best video I've ever run into was an mpeg2 HD 4:2:2 golf tournament . Picture had great depth and clarity. I don't even like golf much, except for the scenery.
:)

There are still some analog KU feeds out there...and when they are out there, its a beautiful picture (sans the sparklies that can pop in there) :)

Yes, these are analog. You can use an older analog satellite receiver from the 80s, they will work fine. Connect the analog receiver to the IF loop out on the DVB receiver, and let the DVB receiver control polarity. Either turn the LNB power on the analog receiver off or use an inline DC block to prevent the analog receiver from injecting power into the line. Another consideration is to be sure to use a standard (L.O. 10750) LNB.

your answer kinda confused me (that is not hard to do at this point)can we receive the DVB or the NTSC feeds with our fta,without an analog receiver,just new and trying to learn.

NTSC indicates that the signal is Analog. DVB (Digital Video Broadcast) receivers only receives MPEG2 Digital signals and cannot receive Analog signals.

on an interesting note that wont accually help many, but is still interesting.

if you have a spectrum analyzer its easy to see the digital tp's from the analog ones. the digital ones are steady peaks not wavering at all. the analog ones kinda look like a flame, they are allways in the same spot but flicker up and down and left and right like a flame would. its kinda neet to see.

on an interesting note that wont accually help many, but is still interesting.

if you have a spectrum analyzer its easy to see the digital tp's from the analog ones. the digital ones are steady peaks not wavering at all. the analog ones kinda look like a flame, they are allways in the same spot but flicker up and down and left and right like a flame would. its kinda neet to see.

Thats interesting, I have to see if I can see that with the BLSA.

your answer kinda confused me (that is not hard to do at this point)can we receive the DVB or the NTSC feeds with our fta,without an analog receiver,just new and trying to learn.

You can receive the analog feeds if you add an analog receiver. These can usually be found inexpensively at swap meets/thrift stores/EBay...

Well then it makes perfect sense for networks to want to switch to DVB - more channels and clean digital picture.

I assume that the news feeds get sent from the news crew's location to the studio for editing / compositing into a live program. That live program then gets sent out on ANOTHER satellite / cable channel, of course. My question is, does this mean that the final edit has now been compressed twice? I suppose it would have to. It seems like the quality loss would be substantial after editing MPEG2 compressed source footage. In my business I request the highest possibly quality footage from clients, preferably uncompressed or original camera footage (if shot in a compressed format like DV, HDV, DVCPROHD, etc). After color correcting / adding lower thirds / other graphics to the image, then RECOMPRESSING it to go out again on another channel, it seems like you'd be left with a pretty blocky compressed mess!

Very true, and especially so with MPEG2. 2nd and 3rd generation DV (and particularly DVCPRO-50) look acceptable, but MPEG2 can look terrible, particularly the low bitrate streams that are often sent via satellite. The pizza dish companies are cramming so many channels on a transponder these days, and people are becoming desensitized to the lower quality video :(

The video from a D1 machine looks like HD in comparison :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)