Question about genie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Patchen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I'm looking for opinion. Here's a list of our current equipment.

HD-DVR Model: HR21-200
HD Model: H20-100
HD Model: H23-600
HD-DVR Model: HR23-700

We've been out of contract for several years. I have an upgrade schedule for Tuesday. To a Genie and three minis. Directv was happy to do it all for free including installation to get us back in contract.

The HR21-200 is getting sluggish and will need replaced at some point. It's not bad right now upgrading because I want a genie.

I'm not sure if I want to get back under contract with Directv. They've done nothing wrong and have treated us well for 12 years now. We don't have many other options besides dish where we live and a crappy little cable company.

Sorry being so vague, I'm on the fence. Is the genie worth going back into contract? Is there anything else I need to know? I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks for reading!

When the installer calls you to tell you s/he's on their way, ask if they have the HR44 available. If the installer doesn't have an HR44, send them on their way. The HR34 is too hit or miss. Some people have great luck, others do not

Get the Genie, Keep your HR23 and then upgrade the others with clients. I would even go so far as keeping the H23 and just doing 1 client.

Reason 1. If the genie goes out with nothing but clients you have NO tv.
Reason 2. With the HR23 you can record 7 events.
Reason 3. With keeping the HR23 and H23 if something happens to the Genie you still can watch tv at 2 locations.

since its $6 a receiver no matter what you use as extra receivers I'd keep everything and just upgrade the HR21 to the Genie

since its $6 a receiver no matter what you use as extra receivers I'd keep everything and just upgrade the HR21 to the Genie

I would replace the H20 as well. Plus that would put the system at 9 tuners and then requires SWM16 that the installer may not have on the truck.

I agree with iceberg

remember clients do not have tuners and use one from the genie

but then he is short one spot. He mentions 3 clients so I assume 4 rooms will have TV

Right four rooms - HR44 - Client - HR23 - H23 or HR44 - HR23 - Client - Client

Personally see no reason to keep the H20. Suprised it still works anyway. It also may not like SWM and have to be changed anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts