Question about install today

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bayoubrut

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 1, 2010
Louisiana
Taking pride in your work and a commitment to the customer come into play. Hard to find that these days whether its the DTV guy, your auto mechanic or plumber. When you weigh in the cost of a service on service call you sometimes spend a few dollars not to lose a handful. There are service calls that are fixed in 10 minutes. You have to think of those when eating the ones when you find yourself correcting things you should not have to. I hear that the in house guys are supposed to bring things up to standard regardless of what they find on a service call and everyone is SUPPOSED to on upgrades. I not saying that is the way it should be but that's the way it is. There are days when you take the bad with the good. Its not always get all you can for as little effort as possible and get out as quickly as you can. Everybody is different.
I work for a sub contractor and we are expected to bring service calls up to code unless it is a bad receiver or tv/remote problem. They threatened to start a team with the most return service calls to 3 days of all service calls at 15.00 a job with tech sup riding with ya....that would be miserable

Joe Diamond

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 3, 2004
Guys,

Things are backwards! There is no such thing as "commitment to the customer or "..taking the good with the bad.." Directv has customers. You have a contract with an installation company. Contracts have specifications and you do what is on the contract. Try reversing the process............try, " I bolted the dish to the garage wall because it was easy......please pay me even though the system will never work that way...I'll do a better one next time." Would you expect to be paid?

So when you rewire a defective installation using your materials and labor...........who pays you?

There is a reason why there are a lot of former installers out there.

Joe

kjlued

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 30, 2010
In your head
Replacing everything sucks if you are in house and your materials are paid for.
Worse if you are a sub (like me) and you flip the bill for that too.

I say if you are in house, replace it if it doesn't take too long.
You didn't pay for, just do it.

Otherwise, make a judgement call.

I take a lot of pride in my work, but sometimes, I can't afford to.
Recently, I failed a QC that either I fixed it or got charged back the job.
I told to charge me back.

I went there just to ad a receiver.
If I was to fix everthing there, I would have had to done everything including reburying the pole and rewiring the hole house.

Would have taken 2-3 hours and 2-3x the money in materials than the job paid.

Sorry, but forget it.

We should have an option to send a supervisor out to the job to inspect for re installation and get paid for it instead of being expected to do it for free.

bayoubrut

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 1, 2010
Louisiana
I can tell you right now, if the materials were coming out of my pocket then its a no brainer for me. Hell, I dont get paid enough as is. Couldn't see footing the bill because previous tech sucked.

Joe Diamond

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 3, 2004
Already been to that show and have the tee shirt.

It went something like......we (MASTEC).....have a service call to run and you are the tech we assigned to the job. Fix this one and the other hand will wash you..trust me on this...your route next week will be clean....." Then the first of the BS back charges hit and the sub contractor checks were late. There was no next week.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts