question about Irdeto and Viaccess

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfecarter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Connecticut
When reading the product description on Sadoun site, I see both the GeoSat DSR100C and DVR100C FTA receivers mention they're capable of receiving both irdeto and Viaccess but what cards or other software would one have to have? And how does one legally obtain the cards that go on the built in slots? I have a Fortec now an wondering how I'd get Setanta which lyngsat or another ch list source shows as encrypted Irdeto I believe.

I know it's not the answer you're looking for but I got a free 6' off of Freecycle so that I could get it off of G23. Of course, I heard they're losing a lot of their good soccer to ESPN :(

too little:

Brian of SatelliteAV posted the most valuable bit of info about those card slots that I've seen.
Far as I know, when you subscribe to the service, they provide a card.
You slide it into any compatible receiver and away you go.
{that may or may not be correct} - :rolleyes:

When reading the product description on Sadoun site, I see both the GeoSat DSR100C and DVR100C FTA receivers mention they're capable of receiving both irdeto and Viaccess but what cards or other software would one have to have? And how does one legally obtain the cards that go on the built in slots? I have a Fortec now an wondering how I'd get Setanta which lyngsat or another ch list source shows as encrypted Irdeto I believe.

The GEOSATpro DVR1100c and the DSR100c units are currently supporting BISS and IRDETO. VIACCESS error was noted with an old issue subcription card and being addressed by the engineering team. VIACCESS support will be reintroduced once it is certified. Sorry about any inconvenience that this temporary issue may cause.

thank you but my question remains (and bear with my ignorance0 I know the irdeto and viaccess cards are common place in europe but can one buy them here in NA (US) and will they work, does anyone have a link for where to buy the cards that work in north america, also if I went with this receiver, would I have to change my dish or LNB? thanks!

If you want to watch US broadcast programming of a particular Sat TV provider, encrypted with Irdeto or Viaccess, one logical step might be to request a subscriber access card from that provider via its website. :)

Setana is available through Globecast TV
GlobeCast WorldTV - Whats on WorldTV

but you need to use THEIR receiver

The requirement to use a GlobeCast receiver for Setanta is not correct. The Setanta channel on Galaxy 19 is encrypted with IRDETO. IRDETO and Viaccess are like the majority of common subscription card based decryption and are not married to a receiver (unlike Nagra which the card is issued to a specific receiver).

If a company requires the purchase of their receiver to obtain a subscription card, you may need to purchase the receiver to satisfy a sales requirement, but it is not necessary to use their receiver. These cards may be inserted in any CAS compatible receiver to view the subscribed programming.

The requirement to use a GlobeCast receiver for Setanta is not correct. The Setanta channel on Galaxy 19 is encrypted with IRDETO. IRDETO and Viaccess are like the majority of common subscription card based decryption and are not married to a receiver (unlike Nagra which the card is issued to a specific receiver).

If a company requires the purchase of their receiver to obtain a subscription card, you may need to purchase the receiver to satisfy a sales requirement, but it is not necessary to use their receiver. These cards may be inserted in any CAS compatible receiver to view the subscribed programming.
I thought the newer Globecast receivers were Nagravision boxes.
At least since most of the channels they sell are listed with Nagravision encryption.

Rephrase: I believe Globecast is phasing out the Irdeto encryption in favor of the Nagravision 3 system.

But you'd know better than I would Brian.

Setana is available on Galaxy 19 as IRDETO, so any IRDETO compatible receiver can receive the channel with a valid IRDETO card.

Channels that are encrypted with Nagra are married to a specific receiver. In other regions of the world, Nagra cards can be purchased at a retail outlet and inserted in a compatible receiver to provide a prepurchased amount of viewing. Once inserted, that card can only be used with that specific receiver. Here in North America, content providers using Nagra typically will send the card to the subscriber so it can only be used with a receiver that was sold by the provider.

Last edited:
I would guess they don't want to support people with random receivers with their IRDETO cards. So they require you to use their receiver and only support that, but it should work with any receiver with an IRDETO CAS. Just don't call to complain until testing it with the original Globecast receiver. :)

Not a bad way to get just Setanta for $15/month, though the upfront costs seem to be around $180. The video pid is just over 4Mbit/s which seems decent for SD.

The video pid on Dish is only 2.3Mbit/s, quite a big difference! Dish wants $15/month for Setanta, but I think you have to pay at least $6/month enabling fee if you don't have any other programming. If you had to have a 24 month contract with Dish it would be about break even with the Globecast equipment cost & monthly fee. And you would have a lot higher bitrate it looks like to me. Plus the added bonus of being able to easily move the card to a DVR/PVR FTA receiver that you might have already. Versus another $6/month DVR / lease fee with Dish.

$15 for a channel, wow that's a little bit expensive, so I would like to know if a biss encrypted channel "real madrid" on 30°W will cost.

$15 for a channel, wow that's a little bit expensive, so I would like to know if a biss encrypted channel "real madrid" on 30°W will cost.

It is very expensive for 1 channel, but it is potentially the cheapest way to get Setanta if that is the channel you want.

I pay $10/month for Dish's Welcome Pack, primarily for HGTV & TLC. That's $5/channel more or less. Still seems expensive to me for channels laden with ads, but it is the cheapest way to get them.

Well actually since I'm in central america what I'm looking at is the cheapest way to watch The Spanish soccer league so here in central america the only one service that broadcasts it is sky mexico but it cost $32.00/month, so I'm thinking to get something cheaper for my football soccer games.

Well actually since I'm in central america . . .
Most of us are a little ways north of your location, so... before you take any of our advice, be certain you can receive the signal in question. - :rolleyes:
Getting a receiver in the USA shipped to you is minor inconvenience, but if you spend all the money and then can't get the signal... :rant:

Yeah the signal is the problem not the hardware/software.

That's why is a little bit hard to get help because I'm in a really southest part from the US.

Don't know about satellite footprint, but if you have a C band setup, Setanta is broadcast unencrypted on Galaxy 23-- DFreq 3780 Polarity V SR 29.270! But I am guessing you are interested in Ku only.

I would need to buy a c band dish/lnb, mine is a 1.2M offset dish so unless I'm very lucky I can get that channel on c band with my current dish and actually I'm more interested in Real Madrid channel than setanta sports.

Status
Please reply by conversation.