Question about OnDemand file sizes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chicagofilms

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
I just had my install today & am up and running. Everything's GREAT! It's like Comcast wasn't actually broadcasting in HD & quite surprising how much better the PQ is!

I was wondering about the ondemand downloads though.

1. How big is an average 1080p movie?

2. Is there a way to remove the bandwidth limit the HR24 seems to have, so I can make downloads faster?

I'm just curious about the file sizes so I know if I have to worry about Comcast's stupid 250GB download/month cap.

thanks!

The answer is "it depends". It depends on the bitrate/compression that they're using on a particular movie and that probably varies from one movie/show to another. It seems to me that the VOD stuff is more compressed overall than the broadcast stuff. Its also possible that a well compressed 1080p/24 movie would be smaller on disk than a relatively lower compressed 1080i/60 one.

Taking a 20,000 foot look at it, we VOD a fair amount of stuff from directv and we use netflix streaming all the time, plus we make a pretty good regular use of the internet. One month I managed to use about 190GB when we went nuts downloading a lot of HD content but on the average we rarely top 100GB.

Comcast does have a thing on their web site if you log into your account that shows how much you've used for the month. So you can just do what you want for a couple of weeks and then go have a look.

As far as I know theres no way to speed up the downloads. I think its metered because the box can only do so much at once and if they were downloading at full rate it might interfere with other stuff. It used to download VOD's faster a bunch of software releases ago, but its pretty darn slow in the current release.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Options after year one

Roku HD to Slingbox Pro HD / HDTV / Audio Receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)