Question about recording quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chibbert

Jan 3, 2007
I realize this may not be completely related to D* but I have a question. I have been recording HD content (mostly movies) on my HR-20 and have recently acquired a Panasonic DVD Recorder. I have been transferring my recorded shows onto DVD. Now I know when I put it on DVD, that my panny recorder only records it in 4:3 and that I am using the S-Video as an input to the recorder but my question is. Since my native content is HD (on the DVR), shouldn't my DVD quality be at least slightly better than if I was using SD content to burn? I'm trying to decide if I should expand my horizons to non-HD content as well if I don't gain any quality in the end.

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Hibbert

Slick Vic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 24, 2007
Jax., FL
you said you was using svideo to record hd on dvd. if this is the case, you might want to consider using a different connection. anything below rgb or hdmi will downgrade your resolution to a 480. check to see if your dvd player has rgb input. if so, give it a shot.

paulman182

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 10, 2006
East Kentucky
I would agree, component input might give you better quality, if available.

But yes, the HD transferred to DVD will probably look better than SD transferred to DVD, just as an HD channel viewed in 480 resolution still looks better than an SD channel from D*.

chibbert

Jan 3, 2007
Thanks for both of your replies.
Unfortunately, S-Video IN is the best input stream to the recorder.
I was thinking that the HD would inherently be at least a little better recorded in 480 so you confirmed my suspicions.

Thanks again!

Chris

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)