Status
Please reply by conversation.

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
I have a friend who has DirecTV but he still has an 18" dish pointed at 101W.

He lives half why up the mountain in a hollow and would like to get HD. Dish came out and said "no way" for HD - - - no LOS.

But I told him I think he could now get HD from DirecTV now with new equipment just pointed to 101W.

Did I tell him correct? And what should he ask when he calls?

You were sort of correct. 101 is the where most of the sd channels come from. The hd ones come from 99 and 103, which he could probably get if he can get 101. Here's the rub. His local sd channels may be on 119. Even though he isn't getting them now, if he upgrades, Directv requires that he be able to receive them from 119. One possible way around that is to get a local independent installer to do the work. What is his zip code?

According to my friend - - - the necessary trees are on his neighbors properties.

I have a big chain saw tho.

Since he gets Washington DC local channels from 101, he doesn't have to worry about getting 119. How close are the trees to his line of sight to 101? Can you post a picture from behind his dish? If he can get 101, he can most likely get 99 and 103.
Edit: I just reread your first post where you said Dish came out and said no LOS. That's because the satellites for Dish are in a different area than Directv's. I'm sure if Directv came out they could upgrade him to hd with no problem.

His locals come from the 101, and he does have a lot in HD. The locals in HD come off the 99. I hope that helps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)