Question from Earnings report

Status
Please reply by conversation.

buckeye927

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Marietta, Ohio, United States
I saw this and don't really know what it means?

HD Must carry change outlook?
Came out of blue, quickly, trying to understand all the things involved.
Premature to say.
Robust fleet with lot of flexibility, especially with Spaceways.
Need to get better understanding first.

Does it concern local or national feeds? What is the change?

It concerns local H/D and "must carry"...I.E.
they would be required to carry sub-channels(weather etc) which some stations
have several(especially PBS)...following is
from SKYReport:
"DBS Concerned with Must-Carry Idea
The nation's big satellite TV services were at the Portals during the last week fighting a proposal that could impose digital HD must-carry obligations on DBS platforms.

Both DIRECTV and DISH Network contacted Federal Communications Commission personnel about the issue, fretting that the proposed mandate - if enacted - could impact satellite capacity and operations. The companies described the must-carry idea that has been floated by FCC Chairman Kevin Martin as "burdensome" and that it could take years to comply with such a provision.

DISH Network said in a three-page filing outlining its opposition that its satellite fleet is at or near full capacity today, and that a local HD must-carry mandate would put a lot of pressure on the company's day-to-day capabilities.

HD channels require between three and four times the bandwidth of standard definition channels, the company said. "If DISH Network was required to carry all must-carry channels in HD, approximately three new, state-of-the-art satellites - with access to corresponding new spectrum - would need to be designed and constructed to meet those new burdens," the company said in its comments.

"This is a four-year process with a price tag of over a billion dollars," added DISH Network.

DIRECTV also approached FCC officials about the HD must-carry initiative. The company said that in its meetings it told commission staff the availability of satellite capacity and ground infrastructure, as well as the ongoing digital TV transition, would impact its ability to comply with a must-carry requirement."

Good question...and excellent answer.

I found myself wondering what that was about while typing it, totally forgot about the subchannels ;)

Thanks

Thanks for answer.

Not exactly what I was hoping for though. I was hoping it was to put some pressure on them to carry ALL the dmas. I live in the Parkersburg WV DMA and it is one of the smallest in the country. I figure we'll be the last to get added. Thank goodness for OTA.

For most stations, the sub-channels would probably require the same amount of bandwidth as an SD counterpart. I've not seen a station that utilizes a sub-channel for HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD Audio issues

DirecTV Q4 Earnings Call - Notes & Details 2/13

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts