Question Re Larger KU Sat Dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
I find that some of my signals simply aren't consistant in the "quality department. I've read here in the forum that larger dishes can give better reception. I currently have a 33" Winegard and was considering upgrading to a Winegard 1 meter dish. Do you think that would greatly improve my reception? Thanks!

Greatly improve?? No. But, it would be an improvement. You would be going from a 33" dish to a dish about 37". That extra 4 inches will help you pull in weaker sigs and make for a more watchable picture especially in light rain but it won't do wonders. Now, if you went to a 120cm dish that would make for your "greatly improved reception" requirement.

Actually, I believe Winegard only makes 76cm (30") and 1m (39") for FTA. I have a Winegard 76cm dish and I am considering adding another dish and will probalby get a 1 meter. Now, since I don't yet have one I can't say what it'll do for you but I'm sure it would be a noticeable difference. :)

According to the Winegard site, the height of the 1 meter is 44.8" and the width is 41.3". Of course, the effective aperture is 39.4" which I'm sure is what you're talking about aaron. I think I'll end up getting it. It certainly shouldn't hurt the quality!

http://www.winegard.com/home/1m.htm (sorry, don't know how to add a hyperlink at this site)

Yes actually I was just going to say, the measurements 76cm and 1m refer to the effective aperture.

but some dishes have a lot of weight to them (I have a DirecPC that is 39x23 but weighs a lot...won't work on a SG2100) :)

I don't know....I have 2 DPC dishes and one weighs probably 1/2 of the other.
The 39x23 dish I have is one HEAVY MOTHER.....I'd have to customize a mount for it due to the size of almost everything.

I thought of doing it once but the way my roof is, it wouldnt be able to motor as far as the 30" does right now. :)

Where do you go to find a one meter winegard dish? Is there somplace on the web that sells them and can ship them to a residence or do you need to go find a dealer in town?

Winegard Inc. is located in Burlington, IA, 45 miles East of my house:) WOO HOO!

If you drive by Burlington, will Winegard let you pick up a dish in person? That would be a very good way to not get the big shipping charge.

I called Winegard, they do not allow pickup from the public. They only sell to dealers. They did give me the name of a dealer (ex winegard employee) who lives in Burlington. Im sure he would let you pick one up, and since he used to work there, a great "in-person".

I plan to remake my mounts out of aluminum.

1m = $100 ?

I was doing some searching for related products and ran across the Winegard DS3100, 40" for $99.
Does that sound reasonable?
As for it being hard to find... uhhh.. no...

Iceberg said:
I don't know....I have 2 DPC dishes and one weighs probably 1/2 of the other.
The 39x23 dish I have is one HEAVY MOTHER.....I'd have to customize a mount for it due to the size of almost everything.

Ha! I think I've got both of those, too!

Well, I decided against buying the 1 meter Winegard dish. Actually, Jimmy at dvbhardware.com talked me out of it, saying I really shoudn't need it. (If that isn't an indicator of an honest dealer, I don't know what is). He told me to try making a couple of adjustments and now I have my G10r back in the high 70's and I'm getting the east coast sats as well. I love it when you get 300+ hits on the blind scan!!! Now maybe I can stay off the roof for a while. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)