Questions and Answers Guest...

Rod,

here's some numbers from channel 100 HDnews.

Satellite Signal Quality = 95
Satellite Signal Strength / SNR = 70 / 14.58

Tvlman,

I do not know anyone at Motorola. Sure if we can get them. :)

Rod,

A few questions for you:

1. In your November 26 post at AVSForum you mentioned that the VOOM barker channel (the only unscrambled channel on VOOM) is encoded at 1440x1080 (2/3 horizontal resolution). Is this still the case and should we assume that other VOOM channels might be using 2/3 horizontal resolution too?

2. Do other satellite providers use 2/3 horizontal resolution on their HD channels?

3. You mentioned that VOOM averages 12 Mbps per HD channel, the highest being 16 Mbps. Can you give us some recent data, ideally a breakdown by HD channel? Do certain HD channels use higher bandwidth than others? How does the compression rate compare to similar channels of other providers?

4. How many null packets are you currently seeing?

Thank you!

As sort of a follow up to Ilya's question, could you discuss HDNETs' resolution and data rate on E* and D*. Do they use 3/4 resolution for these channels? Also, does Voom currently have the capability to match the technical aspects of E* and D* in terms of HDNETs?

Ilya said:
Rod,

A few questions for you:

1. In your November 26 post at AVSForum you mentioned that the VOOM barker channel (the only unscrambled channel on VOOM) is encoded at 1440x1080 (2/3 horizontal resolution). Is this still the case and should we assume that other VOOM channels might be using 2/3 horizontal resolution too?

2. Do other satellite providers use 2/3 horizontal resolution on their HD channels?

3. You mentioned that VOOM averages 12 Mbps per HD channel, the highest being 16 Mbps. Can you give us some recent data, ideally a breakdown by HD channel? Do certain HD channels use higher bandwidth than others? How does the compression rate compare to similar channels of other providers?

4. How many null packets are you currently seeing?

Thank you!

12mbps??????????? thats awful!!!!!!!! No wonder our PQ is often in the TOILET! Is this even lower than D*??? I thought Voom advertised superior PQ?

so Basically we have inferior picture quality compared to D* and E*?

"11-29-03 05:26 PM

rodhew

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
So basicly we can expect more HD per xponder vs. E*/D*, but not necessarily "better" PQ (as in full-res/bandwidth.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct. But keep in mind that E* has a LOT more transponder bandwidth than Voom and with higher powered satellites they could lower the code rate to get the same bandwidth per transponder as Voom.

Rod "

vurbano said:
12mbps??????????? thats awful!!!!!!!! No wonder our PQ is often in the TOILET! Is this even lower than D*??? I thought Voom advertised superior PQ?

12mbps is what E* and D* use for HBO & Showtime. The only HD channel that is getting more mbps is HDnet. Every other HD channel falls under the 12mbps.

Sean Mota said:
12mbps is what E* and D* use for HBO & Showtime. The only HD channel that is getting more mbps is HDnet. Every other HD channel falls under the 12mbps.
Then we now know where our intermittent PQ problems lie, (Faces turning green, picture tearing, areas of pixelation)? The low power? And theres nothing Voom can do to rectify that? Seems like canning or combining some of the worthless the exclusives and turning up the bandwidth should do it. I for one would gladly give up the demo loop of EquatorHD for a 1 mbps increase on 12 of the standard channels (put the loop on Rush)! Turn off the worthless Moov and we have 24mbps, go to 14mbps on the 9 or 10 pay movies channels, give us something to wow us!!!

12-14 Mbps is fine for things like Cinema 9s,HBO-HD and SHO-HD. But HD channels that are video-based need more bandwidth. I would think DHDT is probably the highest bandwidth channel Voom has. I think they probably require a certain allocation when carriage deals are signed. I'm not sure about DHDT now. It looked better in March than it does now, imo. DHDT was the only channel my cable company carried that looked great, and I think it was b/c they weren't squeezing it. I've always thought Cubes might be holding out HDNET b/c he didn't want Voom bastardizing it. Vurbano, myself, and others have long protested Voom exclusives b/c they were clogging the stream.

I totally agree with the last 2 posts. Getting rid of some of the worthless channels and improving PQ would be fine by me. I would love it if we only had 36 or 38 HD channels if it meant better PQ. Voom looked much better when I had it installed back in March. As it stands right now I have stopped recommending Voom to anyone until things improve.

How do we determine skew adjustment?

For those of us trying to line up our existing DirecTV oval dishes (36" X 24" Gainmaster here") to improve signal strength, is there a simple way to determine the skew adjustment we would use? Is it simply the difference between our line of longitude and the Voom sat's 61.5 degree location that seems to be outlined above?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts