Quick Questions for people who has long cable run experience...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I am replacing my run from PLL lnb to Microhd.

Was going to buy a lot of cable to leave my options open for moving things but has anyone noticed problem with long runs, i.e. 150 ft +.

Just wondering if i should stay away from a certain length, i know installing Exede 150 is the max, but doing dvb-s sd back int he day i know i had LONG runs of crappy cables and barrel connectors everywhere and never had a problem. The increased data for s2 and hd may not like that?

Recommendations please.

Last edited:
I prefer a swept-tested to 3ghz QUAD shield RG-6 cable for everything I do. It's not really all that much more expensive. I use Thomas and Betts purple quad shield compression connectors with this. It's the best, and should easily be able to do a 150 ft run with no problems.

I bury mine from house crawl-space to the dish wire area using that black plastic pipe that Lowes sells in rolls. That way the wires are protected from shovels and critters. Get a larger size to fit multiple cables. Oh, and ALWAYS run some spare cables, and when you pull them through, tie and extra string on them, and pull that through with the bundle.

I guarantee if you don't pull spares, you'll wish you had! Even if you do, that extra sting is there to help you pull yet another one in the future if needed! Just add another string to the new one you pull through in the future, so when the one is pulling itself out while pulling the new cable in, it's setting yet another string for future use...

Last edited:
primestar31 said:
I guarantee if you don't pull spares, you'll wish you had!

Lol yup. I always pull spares when in not nice places like crawl spaces etc.

Lucky, the way my house is set up I dont have a problem with hard to reach places i just want to know if long crappy run could be causing this.... More work on the system this weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of my runs are over the 200 foot length and I'm using RG6 cable with no problems, but I would also add a second cable just for backup or if you decide to add a second dish. If your using pipe to enclose the cables just make sure the size will meet any additional dishes and their cables needs. I made that error as I started with 1 then 2 and ended up right now with a total of eight and the original pipe no longer works.

I prefer a swept-tested to 3ghz QUAD shield RG-6 cable for everything I do. It's not really all that much more expensive. I use Thomas and Betts purple quad shield compression connectors with this...

Do the quad shield connectors require a different tool to install, or will a standard one work?

My cheap Zenith ZDS-5061 does quads with no trouble, they are basically the same as the standard RG-6 fittings.

The trouble I always have with quad is stripping it (a pain) and shoving the fitting on the end of the cable (a blister-inducing literal pain).

My cheap Zenith ZDS-5061 does quads with no trouble, they are basically the same as the standard RG-6 fittings.

The trouble I always have with quad is stripping it (a pain) and shoving the fitting on the end of the cable (a blister-inducing literal pain).

Thanks, Tron, always wondered about that. I have to fight to shove my ends on standard RG-6 as it is, have tried 2 or 3 different brands of ends but can't tell much difference.

Lucky, the way my house is set up I dont have a problem with hard to reach places i just want to know if long crappy run could be causing this

I'd say NO to being a cable problem but if you've got damage or water in the connectors might cause it. Does this happen on other satellites or just AMC1?
The other thing is that tree in the video inline with AMC1, if so that might be your problem if your only having problems with a single satellite.

I'd say NO to being a cable problem but if you've got damage or water in the connectors might cause it. Does this happen on other satellites or just AMC1?
The other thing is that tree in the video inline with AMC1, if so that might be your problem if your only having problems with a single satellite.

No the tree isn't the problem. Even with leaves on it, it was working on 97 before. I'm pretty sure I'm clearing the tree, Brian told me to look up the arm but haven't had a chance yet since its dark when I get home now. I will tomorrow.

And yes it's on all birds on all birds, even ones that aren't near the tree.

There is a very good chance water could be in one of the connectors that run has 3 barrels on it.

It used to work lol. I think that would be a good first troubleshooting replacement step, inexpensive and needs to be done anyway.

That tree is coming down any way since its getting too close to my LOS, sorry Mother Nature build your oxygen machines somewhere else.

Ollie,

My last installation required over 200 feet of cabling. I cannot recall how much, but I thought it was at least 250 feet and possibly up to 270 feet. Might have even been close to 280 feet.

Using RG-6 quad shield (BrightWire) cable at less than this length as a temporary run, I found that I had problems with the DC power for driving my HH motor and switching the LNBF from V to H.

So, I bought a 500 foot spool of RG11 for about $78 off E-Bay and the required connectors from Sadoun's and a stripper and a crimper from TechTools or someplace with a similar name.

This RG-11 cable resolved my DC line loss and also promoted my signal level/quality as well - not a great deal, but enough to notice and assist some of the weaker signals. Used it for several years without trouble until I had to move from that location. I thought you would find this information helpful in your quest.

RADAR

Ollie,

My last installation required over 200 feet of cabling. I cannot recall how much, but I thought it was at least 250 feet and possibly up to 270 feet. Might have even been close to 280 feet.

Using RG-6 quad shield (BrightWire) cable at less than this length as a temporary run, I found that I had problems with the DC power for driving my HH motor and switching the LNBF from V to H.

So, I bought a 500 foot spool of RG11 for about $78 off E-Bay and the required connectors from Sadoun's and a stripper and a crimper from TechTools or someplace with a similar name.

This RG-11 cable resolved my DC line loss and also promoted my signal level/quality as well - not a great deal, but enough to notice and assist some of the weaker signals. Used it for several years without trouble until I had to move from that location. I thought you would find this information helpful in your quest.

RADAR

That is quite interesting, I don't think my run will have that length but good to know!

Rg11 that must be the stuff cable cos run on the poles and then break off 6 to the homes.

Phlat,

I used the same crimper tool for the quad-shield cable as I did for the standard RG-6 cable. Even the same stripper (with a bit of extra finness). The main problem I had was getting the connectors to go over the sheath nicely. Even though they were supposed to be RG-6 QUAD connectors, they were quite tight and it really was a pain on the fingers to get them started. I thought maybe they sent me regular connectors, but then I tried my original RG-6 standard connectors and it was evident that there was a major difference.

I think if the tool you have is a quality one, it will do both. Obviously it won't do RG-11 because the barrel portion is of a larger diameter and the connector head is longer as well. The latest tool I bought for crimping has different dies for each connector type, but RG-6 and RG-6 QUAD use the same die.

RADAR

I use the same crimper for my RG-6 quad. I have no issue getting the Thomas and Betts PURPLE connectors on them. It is slightly tight, but I use a pliers to grab the turn nut part of the connector, and PUSH it down onto the cable, slightly twisting it at the same time. It goes down nicely to where I want it, and then I put it in the crimper, and squeeze.

You do NOT really need Rg-11 for this, if it's 150-200 ft.

The trick to put on compression connectors on RG6 quad shield cable is to first peel off some of the exposed foil before trying to push the connector in. This makes it much easier to put the connector in as the extra foil layer in quad shield cable bunching up makes it hard to push the connector in. Another trick is to use a cigarette lighter for a few seconds to heat up the end of the coax in order to make the coax sheathing more soft and flexible. This is particularly helpful during the winter months as the cold makes the cable very stiff and hard to work with.

while we are on cables and quality of them; have any of you ever used the rca "rg-6" from lowes, what a joke that is, i did once and it will be the last, 100ft was throwing the cable attenuation meter off on an exede surfbeam2 modem, the conductor doesnt look like any other rg6 ive ever seen, really thin

Status
Please reply by conversation.

information about using a 22k switch.

Drilling through foundation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)