Status
Not open for further replies.

cdru

Just another yahoo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Shamelessly taken from Fatwallet (who shamelessly took it from SlickDeals)

Radio Shack 16-3499, the Accurain HST 6000
Came out late 2004 at $250 Now priced at $89.98
Linky for Product
Basic unit, it does have HDMI output
Video Outputs: Composite, S-video, Component, HDMI
Audio Outputs: Digital; Optical and Coaxial, and Standard Analog

Switch on the back for 480p -720p - 1080i outputs.

PRODUCT FEATURES:
• HDTV tuner enables HD-ready TVs to receive HDTV signals from cable or outside antenna
• Channel information banner allows you to see title and information of program you are viewing (mini TV listing) on enabled stations
• Display type setting (normal/wide/zoom) allows you to view programming in normal and widescreen, while also enabling you to zoom in on screen while viewing
• Aspect ratio setting (4:3 & 16:9) allows you to watch non-widescreen as well as widescreen programming in HD
• V-chip allows parents to monitor what children are watching
• Has an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) which gives you a list of scheduled TV programs with a short description about the show that you can access via your remote control
Specifications:
• HDTV (ATSC) tuner
• Closed caption
• Electronic Programming Guide (EPG)/Graphical User Interface (GUI) (current program direct channel change, real-time update)
• English/Spanish OSD
• Channel information banner
• Auto time setting
• Time zone setting
• Aspect ratio setting (4:3, 16:9)
• Display type setting (normal/wide/zoom)
• Auto channel scan
• V-chip
• Sleep timer with auto on/off
• Freeze frame
• Audio mute function
• 33-key remote control
• Dimensions: 14.6x9.8x2.4" (37x25x6cm) (LWH)

In store availability check here
Mfg. Manual

Bad Remote????

Had been looking at these units for some time, and when I saw the price that they are clearing them out at, couldn't resist. Finally broke down and bought one. Hooked it up to an amplified indoor antenna that I had lying around in my closet for a couple of years, and voila, I have OTA HDTV!!! Yeehaw!!!!

However, I cannot use my remote for some reason. Anyone know if there is something that I need to do in order to get the remote to work properly (other than making sure the 2 AAA batteries are charged)??? I have used 8 batteries so far, and all were working in small flashlights. Can't figure this out.

greyskies in sunny South Florida

I went to our new RatShaq and they were sold out. However, the price they had was double the $89.99 on the website. I'm telling some people at work that have HD-ready sets about this.

Remote is very weak.
I programed it to a learning universal remote and it works fine.
I understand that you can use a universal remote (non-learning) using codes from Pioneer cable box.

I've found out that you have to push the buttons pretty hard on the remote for it to work well. Once I did, I could get it to work from 20+ feet away.

greyskies said:
However, I cannot use my remote for some reason. Anyone know if there is something that I need to do in order to get the remote to work properly (other than making sure the 2 AAA batteries are charged)??? I have used 8 batteries so far, and all were working in small flashlights. Can't figure this out.

Here's a clever trick... look at the infrared LED on the remote through the LCD screen of a digital camera. Press a button on the remote... you should see a bright white flash from the infrared LED on the end of the remote if it is working.

snathanb said:
Here's a clever trick... look at the infrared LED on the remote through the LCD screen of a digital camera. Press a button on the remote... you should see a bright white flash from the infrared LED on the end of the remote if it is working.
You learn something new every day...

Foxbat said:
I went to our new RatShaq and they were sold out. However, the price they had was double the $89.99 on the website. I'm telling some people at work that have HD-ready sets about this.

Thanks to all 4 ideas, but remote control is not working still. As for the price at the store, that's because they have a clearance sticker marking them down 50% of the marked price. Consequentlt, 50% of double the price = $89.99.

I am having problems configuring an antenna.

I initially got

5 (breaks up)

With some tweaking I have

Note that 4 is gone now and so is 7

I cannot get 20 to save my life

Antenna web says 4 and 20 should be among the strongest signals.

I will continue yo play and let you know.

Well when i do get a station it is the best OTA i have ever had.

snathanb said:

OH GOD! MY EYES!
HELLO? Mother is that you?

I stopped by another RatShaq on the way home from work (and a good thing, too. They pointed out my drivers license expired today :eek: ) and bought the last one in the store. Had a $5 off coupon as well, so that knocked it down to $84.98 :cool:
greyskies said:
However, I cannot use my remote for some reason.
Come to find out, my remote is likewise unusable. I did the digital camera trick and found that the upper third of the keypad doesn't cause an IR signal to be sent. And the keys that do cause the IR LED to light don't control the STB.

According to the manual, the box responds to Pioneer Cable STB IR codes, but there are several keys that aren't duplicated. So, I guess I need to a) return it, or b) contact RatShaw and arrange a new remote.

Other than that, the box receives all the local ATSC stations, is much faster changing channels than my Dish HD receivers or my Mitsubishi HDTV, and unlike the Dish receivers, actually has an EPG that is populated by using the PSIP data coming from the broadcasters!!!

I've tried it on my Toshiba 34HF81 via component video and to an old Sony XBR set via S-Video, which is where it will probably end up for now. I'm telling some friends that don't have cable that they should try it out and see how they like OTA DTV.

Update: I had to go in and order an IR remote replacement (warranty, so it's gratis) and the sales associate told me the remote for this unit is back-ordered. Must be a common problem.

Reliable Accurian Remotes - PRICELESS!!!

Hey there:

I purchased one of these boxes, and am quite happy. However, the first remote did not work. Went back to the same RatShack, and manager used some orange-colored strip of paper, and confirmed that the remote was not sending any infrared signal. Had one other stb, with packaging on top shelf hidden from view. Took remote from that box, and tested it, showed a light on that orange strip. Took my new prized possession home, and VOILA, my remote was controlling my stb (for approximately 30 seconds). Then, without warning or explanation, no more remote control.

Got fed up with it, and was told by RatShack manager that he was sorry, but that he did not have any others, nor could this unit be controlled by any of the other remotes that they sell. I rememberd the internet specials in these forums, and purchased two (2) Logitech Harmony 880s. One for big screen television upon which Accurian stb is located. Second for upstairs in master bedroom, to control TV, DVD, Cablevision and Fortec Lifetime Receiver. Soon, will complete my HTPC, and hopefully, somehow, will be able to control that unit with this same remote.

Even my wife didn't complain about these purchases, as she has High Definition in family room, with one remote for all of the devices, and has one remote control, as opposed to four (4) for upstairs.

Just a thought, but I would highly recommend your purchase of a third party remote control that is compatible with the Accurian unit.

greyskies in sunny South Florida (as long as Hurricane Rita misses us)

I went and picked up one of these last night. Nice hot receiver, considering I am far away from most stations and was just using a vhf set of junk rabbit ears.

My experience with the remote is that it does work, but you need to be within a foot or so of the unit and the door needs to be closed. Kind of useless.

I took my HST-6000 over to my Dad's place and demo'd DTV to him and my stepmom. Even with a simple dipole attached to an length of RG-58 and setting it on a chair by the window, I was able to receive all of Michiana's active DTV stations with good signal lock. He's got DirecTV and tried to receive the locals off of the triple LNB dish, but the neighbor's trees grew a bit since last year and he seems to be blocked now, so he's back to using rabbit ears for local NTSC reception.

The comparison between the built-in NTSC tuners in his TVs and the ATSC reception using the HST-6000 is like night and day. No show, no ghosts, no picture fading in and out because someone moves, just a nice, solid picture. The only thing I didn't like was I used the composite input on the front of his Sharp TV, so the chroma noise was horrible. S-video would fix that right up, though.

We had some severe weather move into the area while I was doing the demo, so I had a chance to show them how two of our ATSC stations were using their bandwidth to run 24/7 Doppler radar and Storm Tracker info with NOAA weather radio as audio. Even when the satellite went out due to the heavy rain, we were still able to watch local TV as if it were a nice, sunny day.

Fortunately, both of his TVs have the necessary inputs (in fact, his one Toshiba set even has ColorStream, so he could handle 480p input.) Now, we'll see if he can find two of them and if the remotes work as promised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)