Rain fade short tem solution vs. Long term

Sean Mota said:
and there's no guarantee that it will be done by October.
Hasn't anybody realized that they aren't going to be "done" in October, but starting in October. If you are going to be peaking a dish, you have to have the satellite signal available to home in on.

2 phone calls, 5 cancellations, 1 larger dish

Well the short answer is the larger 76cm (30") dish has dramatically improved my rain fade problems. :)

I called Voom back in June to complain that the lightest rain and sometimes heavy cloud cover would cause me to loose my sat signal. So the Voom rep ordered a larger dish for me. Well, i waited for installs to contact me with a install date and a week went by and nothing, so I called Voom and they show the phone call but nothing else. I then had to go through my complaint again and was told they aren't offering the larger dish, blah blah blah... had her talk to supervisor and new dish was ordered.

Installs notified me of the install date and 5 cancellations later they finally put up my larger dish (about 8 week process). Not really a big deal, the people at installs were all very nice and in the end did a great job.

Now it can rain rather hard and I have very little interruption of service. I used to be with Directv and it would take a downpour to interrupt my service but i guess with the location of the voom dish and subsequent sat aim the 18" voom dish just couldn't handle anything. By the way, with 18" dish my voom signal strength was 91+ after larger dish install 98+. Never could get anything stronger than 93 with the original voom dish.

Maybe I'm nuts, but my rain fade seems to have improved in the last couple weeks and I haven't changed anything. Still using a 24" dish and we're deep into the rainy season here in South Florida. Wilt told me a month or so ago that they were going to change their signal and it would improve rain fade issues. He was not speaking about the aniticipated October changes - soimething before that. Does anyone know if that was done or am I just imagining an improvement?

swfreak said:
Well the short answer is the larger 76cm (30") dish has dramatically improved my rain fade problems... Now it can rain rather hard and I have very little interruption of service. I used to be with Directv and it would take a downpour to interrupt my service but i guess with the location of the voom dish and subsequent sat aim the 18" voom dish just couldn't handle anything. By the way, with 18" dish my voom signal strength was 91+ after larger dish install 98+. Never could get anything stronger than 93 with the original voom dish.

They upgraded me to the 28/30" dish and I saw very little improvement in rain fade or signal strength. My current signal strength (in SE South Dakota) is around 85/86. I had expected a jump up into the 90's. I have no diplexors, I tried an alternate cable run (about 75 feet), I tried repeaking - and nothing budges it above 85/86. I do have a clear line of sight.

I find that if my signal is at 77 or above, I have no problems. On a nice clear day I get 90-94. I don't know if I have ever seen anything higher.

Today I am supposed to get a bigger dish and antenna, I am waiting for the dude right now.

--Dan

bbtkd said:
They upgraded me to the 28/30" dish and I saw very little improvement in rain fade or signal strength. My current signal strength (in SE South Dakota) is around 85/86. I had expected a jump up into the 90's. I have no diplexors, I tried an alternate cable run (about 75 feet), I tried repeaking - and nothing budges it above 85/86. I do have a clear line of sight.

I'm no expert, but I think a 75 foot cable run may require some kind of amplifier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)