RCA BRC 11082 Blu Ray Player and internet

troubleshtr

Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
California
I'm trying to hook up an RCA BRC 11082 blu ray player to the internet so I can play netflix movies on it. I'm using a network cable and plugging it into the Time Warner cable set top box. The cable box has a network plug in it. Is this even possible to do or does the blu ray need to be attached directly to the cable router? Thanks for any help you can give me.

You have to plug into a router.

S~

Pretty much what Teachsac said. Assuming you have internet service over the cable, they split the cable right as it came into the house. One half goes to the TV, and the other half goes to a cable modem which pulls the internet datastream out of the RF signal coming in to the house. However, the raw signal will only service one device and it doesn't have any protection against nasty viruses, so a router is generally connected to the modem. The router will have a number of output jacks (usually 4). One will go to your computer. You should use one of the others to connect to the BluRay player.

Wires can be an issue. If the computer/router isn't near the BluRay player, you will need to either run a wire to it, or configure a wireless network. The RCA is not wifi enabled, so this would involve purchasing a wireless access point. It would actually be cheaper to buy a wifi enabled BluRay player though. Then you would connect to the network over the wireless network.

Hopefully that helps, although I figure it will set off a new round of questions. Feel free to ask and we will do our best.

Thank you everyone for your help. I'm trying to do this for a friend. Her router is in another room however she also has a wireless access point plugged into the router in the same room with that router. I suppose I have to bring the AP to the RCA or cable box and attach it there? I'm just trying to get the topology down. Does the AP act as a bridge? And in doing that will it effect her other wireless devices?

You need to have a total of 2 wireless points. One is usually built into the router and provides the internet side of the bridge. The other one goes where the equipment is and is the equipment side. Like any good bridge, it needs a solid attachment at both ends. Think of it as running a lan cable to the device, except that there is no cable.

She likely will not see a performance issue by adding a wireless device unless she has several streaming operations going on at the same time.

Perfect Jayn_J! The next time I get over there I will give it a try. I have two extra AP's I can try and see how it works out. Thanks so much for your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts