RCA L32WD12 - Setup Menu appears every time I turn it on

kelton325

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Circleville, OH
Rca L32wd12

I recently bought an RCA 32" LCD, model L32WD12. After initially turning it on, I went the setup where I selected English as the language, and setup the channels. Since I have this TV setup as TV2 on a Dish 622, I only needed channel 72 in the list. Autodetection did not recognize Channel 72, so I manually added it. The problem is that every time I turn the TV on, it shows the "Select a Language" setup menu. I tried re-running setup multiple times, but no good. I also called the RCA customer service #, but that was a complete laugh - the guy had to look up everything and obviously had no clue. He was challenging why it had to be on channel 72 instead of trying to figure out how to get the setup menu to stop coming up. After 15 minutes, he gave up and gave me the number for my local RCA service center. Before calling them and scheduling an appointment, I figured I'd try here first.

Otherwise, the TV is working great, and I would recommend it to anyone needs a low cost LCD.

Does anyone know how to get the setup menu to stop appearning every time I turn the TV on?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I solved the problem... Apparently you must run the channel setup and it MUST autodetect at least one channel before it decides that Setup is complete. If it doesn't autodetect, manually adding a channel isn't good enough to trigger whatever it is that says setup is done. I hooked my OTA antenna up, ran setup just like I had before, and it detected some channels. After that, I could turn if off & then on and the setup menu no longer popped up. I manually added 73, deleted everything else, and I am all set now.

One observation on this RCA TV... the HD picture quality is pretty darned good for a 32" that was only $997, and it's OTA tuner pulled in all the channels that my 622 pulls in, including some that are a long way out. I am very happy with this TV so far.

It pulls in the channels below... Channel 34 is the one I'd consider distant at 39 miles.

My antenna is a $60 Radio Shack model stuck in my attic, and I live in a wooded area with lots of very tall tress (50 - 100 feet), so I'm pretty impressed. My Dish 622 gets the same channels, and from the reports here, the 622 is supposed to have a very good tuner.

You located around Circleville, Digital Dude?

Hey you guys made be able to help. I just bought an L32WD12 and am using A cable hookup. I first i hooked the Coax to the digital input did a setup and got like 70 channels. then i thought i'm not getting any of my regular cable channels. so then i split the signal and hooked a coax to the analog input and a the digital input. I got my regular channels and only 20 "digital". So then I change to just analog and just got my cable channels (of course). Lastly i tried just the cable hooked to the Digital input but changed the setting from autodetection to cable, got like 19 channels. Am i going something wrong?? Besides being totally new to this stuff. Oh i do have digital cable but not using the set top box for this tv, should i get another to take FULL advantage of the HD of this set???

Thanks
MArk

Just wanted to post an update on this TV...

After originally being pretty happy with this TV, I started running into other problems.

1. The clock would not stay correctly updated. It would blank out after the TV was off for more than a few minutes.
2. The sleep timer would not work for any time over 20 minutes
3. The IR sensor on the TV was very picky. Neither the TV remote nor my 622 remote would control it without lots of very direct pointing
4. After 3 weeks, it would take about 10 mintues to turn on unless I unplugged it and then plugged it back in, then turned it on

After dealing with all this, I took it back to Wal-Mart, about 3 weeks and 4 days after I bought it. I told them I didn't really like how the TV worked, and on top of that it broke. I asked for my money back and they gave it, and refunded the extended warranty, no problem.

I went to Sam's Club and bought the Vizio L32. This TV has a better picture in my opinion. There are also some decent reviews on AVSForum. Plus, it is $100 less, and the Sam's Club extended warranty is 3 years instead of 2. The sleep timer even works :)

I would stay away from the RCA if you can help it.

kelton325 said:
Just wanted to post an update on this TV...

After originally being pretty happy with this TV, I started running into other problems.

1. The clock would not stay correctly updated. It would blank out after the TV was off for more than a few minutes.
2. The sleep timer would not work for any time over 20 minutes
3. The IR sensor on the TV was very picky. Neither the TV remote nor my 622 remote would control it without lots of very direct pointing
4. After 3 weeks, it would take about 10 mintues to turn on unless I unplugged it and then plugged it back in, then turned it on

After dealing with all this, I took it back to Wal-Mart, about 3 weeks and 4 days after I bought it. I told them I didn't really like how the TV worked, and on top of that it broke. I asked for my money back and they gave it, and refunded the extended warranty, no problem.

I went to Sam's Club and bought the Vizio L32. This TV has a better picture in my opinion. There are also some decent reviews on AVSForum. Plus, it is $100 less, and the Sam's Club extended warranty is 3 years instead of 2. The sleep timer even works :)

I would stay away from the RCA if you can help it.

RCA was great when they were made in America, but they are terrible now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)