RCA TVs any better

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowEKU

Expert in the Making
Supporting Founder
Jul 13, 2004
Frankfort, KY
Ok so I was doing some reading on a new TV I was/am going to buy this saturday. the RCA D52W20. I have a friend who has it and Absolutely loves it. However I have read some bad reviews on it dying and having a hard time finding replacement parts. Does anyone have this tv/had it for more than a year? Is it good/does it have any problems still. Its not on consumer reports and I have read some very mixed reviews... all of them are either immediate purchases or within 6 months.... nothing further out. I dont want to buy a new tv 6 months down the road.. I will buy the extended warranty though. If HHGregg has it

Don't you just love it when no one answers your post. Don't really know about the RCA, I have a Mit. and love it, before that nothing but Sonys. Good luck.

My wife and I rented a D52W20 before getting the money to get our 30" Sony Widescreen HDTV. I will say that RCA is basically you get what you pay for. It will not accept a 720p signal. HD had a fuzziness to it, even after turning the color temp down and getting off the vivid setting. HD looks much better on a comparable sized Mitsu or Sony.

I am one of those people who has the RCA 52'' HDTV. Although there are mixed reviews out there, I did find out that their were som quality control issues that have been fixed. My best friend has a Mits 65'' HDTV and I asked him how he liked it. Of course he liked it since he dropped almost 3 grand into it. Well I went to my local Circuit City and saw the RCA set and quite frankly I was stunned how good the quality was compared to those sets where equal or larger in size, with a much larger price tag. I have had my set for little under a year now and I could not be any happier. The PQ on HD is unreal! I adjusted the settings, took it down from "torch mode" and ran the AVIA video calibaration disc. I am very happy with this tv. Of course there will be people out there who have had bad results. However, that comes with the territory with anything you buy. RCA has definetly raised the bar with their quality control. Just my 2 cents.

If you have controllable lighting, the RCA Scenium sets are some of the best in the market.

Reliability is a big question with RCA TVs. Consumer reports say they (RCA) are much worse than average.
Spend your $$ elsewhere.

This Thanksgiving will be a year for my 52" RCA HDTV. It's very good in it's price range (under $1500 category). I couldn't tell much difference between this set and others in the price range. For me, I also like the non-glare screen that is hard to find anymore.

As for quality, no problems here. Seems pretty well built.

My only complaint is that it takes a little while (15 minutes or so) to warm-up. During this time the convergence is off a little. After the unit it warmed up, it is fine.

Good luck,
-John

I bought this year's model RCA Scenium D61W136 in early January, which is an HD monitor; therefore, no tuner. I had planned on getting a 921 at the same time for HD, but couldn't get one, and now there are other issues. The upshot is--no HD for now.

However, the picture is excellent for everything else (also other people's view after seeing it), and it has been TOTALLY reliable. I, too, had read the reviews, so purchased a 5-year extended warranty, but have hopes I will never need it.

I gues sI shouldve updated this but its been 1.5 months. I bought the TV and havent had any problems. the first week or so it would make a loud pop once a day but that has since stopped.. I jsut had to have it cleaned... stupid dog hair managed to get on top of the green projector and was really annoying.. that was free thanks to warranty. The HD picture is great even compared to some higher end models. I cant really complain for the price this seems like a decent buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)