receiver for the camper.. need a little help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

firecaptain

Oct 22, 2009
Memphis
Greetings all, I need to know if I have all the stuff I need to get this thing up and going for my camper.

I got a used D12-500 and Directv says it's good to go - they just have to send me a card.

I'm using it with an old 18" slimline dish. SD is fine for the camper, no biggie.

What worries me is I saw "SWM" on the back of the D12. Do I need to buy the power inserter thing? All I have right this minute is the receiver, the dish and some coax.

This is a standalone from my home setup, obviously since it will be used pretty much exclusively for tailgating and in the camper.

(long time lurker.. don't post very often as you can see. ;) )

Thanks in advance!

Greetings all, I need to know if I have all the stuff I need to get this thing up and going for my camper.

I got a used D12-500 and Directv says it's good to go - they just have to send me a card.

I'm using it with an old 18" slimline dish. SD is fine for the camper, no biggie.

What worries me is I saw "SWM" on the back of the D12. Do I need to buy the power inserter thing? All I have right this minute is the receiver, the dish and some coax.

This is a standalone from my home setup, obviously since it will be used pretty much exclusively for tailgating and in the camper.

(long time lurker.. don't post very often as you can see. ;) )

Thanks in advance!

Your good, ,the D12 can be used as a SWM set up, but doesn't have to be, you saw SWM on the input, that designates is able to be used.

You can set up the dish and run the coax and plug it all in, you get a signal and you should get a picture ... this is an active recvr ?

Btw, if it's a 18" dish you have, it's Not a Slimline ...

IF you do with a Slimline, you'll be set if you decide to go HD at some point.

This dish I have is slightly oval shaped and only 1 antenna on it.

When setting up the box, the installer told me to choose "18" slimline" from the setup menu - is that incorrect?

This dish I have is slightly oval shaped and only 1 antenna on it.

When setting up the box, the installer told me to choose "18" slimline" from the setup menu - is that incorrect?

18 would be correct, not sure what options are available ... it sounds like the old dish that sees the 101, 110 and 119 Sats, which would get you the 101 and SD programming just fine.

IF I'm thinking the right dish and it only has 1 coax output on the LNB, its VERY old and feeds 1 recvr only.

The two lines would be used for a dvr. You only need one.

One thing, if your D12 is being used at home on an SWM system, you will need to reset it for your non-SWM dish at the camper.
Connect it to the non-SWM dish.
Go into satellite setup. You will probably find that the dish selections are all greyed out. Select "multiswitch" as the multiswitch selection. Then the dish selections will be available. Your dish will probably either be an 18in round dish, or an 18x20 Phase III oval 3lnb dish. Select the correct dish type and then you should be ready to do dish alignment.

I didn't want to do all that, that's why I picked up the extra box.

Easier to just have the extra box separate from the home system.

One thing, if your D12 is being used at home on an SWM system, you will need to reset it for your non-SWM dish at the camper.
Connect it to the non-SWM dish.
Go into satellite setup. You will probably find that the dish selections are all greyed out. Select "multiswitch" as the multiswitch selection. Then the dish selections will be available. Your dish will probably either be an 18in round dish, or an 18x20 Phase III oval 3lnb dish. Select the correct dish type and then you should be ready to do dish alignment.

I didn't want to do all that, that's why I picked up the extra box.

Easier to just have the extra box separate from the home system.

If you haven't already, your gonna want to activate your latest box while at home and move it after they have got it up and running.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)