Recent 625 update, or glitch?

koschei

Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Southern United States
I figured I would ask here, since google-fu has failed me and this site was the closest thing I found to offering actual information on receiver updates etc.

Currently and for the past two or three years, my family has been using a DuoDVR 625. It's a bit crash-happy but the actual user interface is pleasant enough that I abhor change to it. The other day, however, it either picked up a glitch or had a GUI update.

When pressing pause, a transluscent blue bar normally appears. This bar shows a graphical representation of how much time you have to rewind, fast forward, or remain paused and a counter for how far behind live programming you are (or a notice that you are viewing from the dvr) as well as an indicator of whether you are recording the current show. It's extremely useful, and easy to read due to the spacing.

Now, however, this bar appears initially but after about one second disappears to be replaced by a poorly spaced pause icon and mimi counter on the top right portion of the screen. If viewing a recording, it is simply a pause icon with no count of how much time remains unless you bring up the channel details banner. I dislike it, a lot, but can't find a way to disable it and revert to always having the bar while paused.

Has this happened to anyone else with the DuoDVR 625, and if so is there a setting to revert back to previous behavior? (The system info says I'm using software version L581, if that helps any.)

I have a 625 and just noticed it is doing the same thing so it must be something new. I agree with you, I would much rather have the old bar counter instead.

It may be new the the 625, but the VIP receivers have had it for quite some time. Personally, I prefer it, especially if and when subtitles are at the bottom of the screen and you want to pause to read/look at.

Oh, man. I guess it's better to know this isn't a glitch, but I really wish it were optional - or at least that the bar remained long enough to actually read it if not looking at the screen immediately after pausing and could be returned with some button if needed again. Or maybe just that the spacing between the pause icon and the timer was better. As is, it just confuses my eyes when I try a quick glance and I long for an always-there-while-paused count of time left on recordings now.

Can't argue against usefulness with subtitles, though. I only rarely needed to pause for that, so it never bothered me to just use the 'pause, press skip a time or three to make the bar vanish' method.

This is going to take a ton of getting used to... just like when the All Sub menu went from blue highlight to green that one St. Patrick's day, and never went back. But I did get used to it, so I suppose there's that.

I've seen old projection TVs (mine) that had that bar permanently burned on the screen where people (not me!) left stuff paused too long. Probably a big part of why they got rid of it.

I've seen old projection TVs (mine) that had that bar permanently burned on the screen where people (not me!) left stuff paused too long. Probably a big part of why they got rid of it.

Yikes. Okay, personal opinion aside, I fully respect any decision made to reduce burn in. So that theory makes me a lot less resentful of the sudden change.

I always turn off my tv when pausing more than a few minutes, but as you point out many tv sets are used by more than one person, some of which may not think or know to do so.

I would not want the bar to stay as it used to on the VIP's - it blocks scrolls at the bottom of the screen when you pause to read them.

I would prefer an option to turn off all on-screen overlays when trick playing. I know if I skipped, paused, or rewound. ;)

Now they'll just have a burnt-in pause icon on the top right :p .

But yeah, on the ViP 722K, I had to get used to the new behavior, but now that I'm used to it I actually prefer it. The Hopper acts in the same manner as well.

Same change has recently taken place on my 522. Also, the ANNOYING/FRUSTRATING change that happened at the same time is now when you push the DVR button on the remote to get to the recordings screen by default "cancel" is now selected instead of "My Recordings" making additional navigation steps to get to "my recordings" While on the recordings screen if you push the cancel button on the remote or select it it takes you to the "main menu" now instead of back to your programming, again....added unnecessary navigation steps.

Sure, it's not the most important thing in the world, but it is an annoying thoughtless change IMO.

Same change has recently taken place on my 522. Also, the ANNOYING/FRUSTRATING change that happened at the same time is now when you push the DVR button on the remote to get to the recordings screen by default "cancel" is now selected instead of "My Recordings" making additional navigation steps to get to "my recordings" While on the recordings screen if you push the cancel button on the remote or select it it takes you to the "main menu" now instead of back to your programming, again....added unnecessary navigation steps.

Sure, it's not the most important thing in the world, but it is an annoying thoughtless change IMO.
Unless I'm missing something, hitting the DVR button twice gets me to my recordings. Can't really get any fewer navigation steps than that. I've done it so frequently and automatically I guess I haven't noticed any default selection on the first screen.

Unless I'm missing something, hitting the DVR button twice gets me to my recordings. Can't really get any fewer navigation steps than that. I've done it so frequently and automatically I guess I haven't noticed any default selection on the first screen.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that when I get home tonight. It used to default w/ "my recordings" highlighted so 2 button clicks would get me to my recordings, now in addition to that I was having to use the up or down arrow pad navigate get there, I did not know about the double DVR button push, I'm liking that a lot if it works for my 522.

Tampa8 said:
I would not want the bar to stay as it used to on the VIP's - it blocks scrolls at the bottom of the screen when you pause to read them.

Agreed. And if I want the info back, I touch cancel.

Interviews with non-English speaking athletes in the Olympics, hence subtitles...NOT a glitch, A Godsend!!!

Wifi dongle signal strength

using all three tuners at once

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)