Reclaiming bandwith for hd

tigerfan33

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2007
Alabama
I would be interested in what people think (digi and bob especially) of how dish intends to reclaim bandwith for more hd. Aside from launching a new bird what other choices to they have?? Or is it the only choice. I know Scott has said that they may be saving some for a unforseen emergency.

This is simple to reclaim. Remove all those useless shopping channels, International channels, HD PPV, DISH INFO channels (the ones that say, "COngratulations you have blah, blah, blah), and other junk that 2 people watch annually. Then there would be lots of bandwidth. This is where i wish we could have a la carte pricing so i dont have to skip all these useless channels.

Converting SD channels to mpeg4 and 8PSK will free up bandwidth but requires new receivers for SD customers. Dish also still has a couple mpeg2 HD channels

This is simple to reclaim. Remove all those useless shopping channels, International channels, HD PPV, DISH INFO channels (the ones that say, "COngratulations you have blah, blah, blah), and other junk that 2 people watch annually. Then there would be lots of bandwidth. This is where i wish we could have a la carte pricing so i dont have to skip all these useless channels.
First of all, you don't have to "skip" the channels you consider useless, just block them under Locks, or setup a favorites list that doesn't include them. Secondly, they are getting paid $ for the shopping channels, and obviously have enough customers willing to pay for the Internationals and PPV to make a profit on them. Finally, the info banners require a trivial amount of bandwidth as they are just a fixed image.

How about:

- move HD and SD locals from 129 to 110 spotbeams
- move HD and SD locals from 61.5 to 110 spotbeams

that's if there are enough appropriate spotbeams left available on 110, which I don't know for sure but I suspect there are some.

How about:

- move HD and SD locals from 129 to 110 spotbeams
- move HD and SD locals from 61.5 to 110 spotbeams

in cases where there are enough appropriate spotbeams left available on 110.

The migration to the 110 spotbeams is done.

The reclaiming they are talking about is probably the consolidation of the HD LiL's on 129 and 61.5 to the new encoders that allow 6 HD's per TP instead of 4.

They already started this on one TP on 129, the Denver DMA HD LiL's has had two test channels for quite sometime. Who lives in the Denver DMA? ;)

The migration to the 110 spotbeams is done.

The reclaiming they are talking about is probably the consolidation of the HD LiL's on 129 and 61.5 to the new encoders that allow 6 HD's per TP instead of 4.

They already started this on one TP on 129, the Denver DMA HD LiL's has had two test channels for quite sometime. Who lives in the Denver DMA? ;)

It may or may not be technologically or economically feasible, but if Echostar 8 was put back into spotbeam mode you could get some more HD LiLs. (Of course you'd have to move the national HD on 110 to 61.5/129 since you have to give up a conus transponder for each set of spotbeams you turn back on.)

see http://jameslong.name/e-whatif.html for some speculative maps of the coverage.

It may or may not be technologically or economically feasible, but if Echostar 8 was put back into spotbeam mode you could get some more HD LiLs. (Of course you'd have to move the national HD on 110 to 61.5/129 since you have to give up a conus transponder for each set of spotbeams you turn back on.)

see http://jameslong.name/e-whatif.html for some speculative maps of the coverage.

They'll have to do some national SD squeezing on 119/110 to accomplish that though.

AT&T Wants Their Receiver Back from a Burned House in San Diego

Tuner Card for Dish HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts