Recommendation for my first BD experience ??

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
OK, I finally went "purple". The BD player will be on my doorstep in a couple of days. For the first disk or two I'll pay retail prices at BB, CC, WM or equiv. (After that it will be almost strictly on-line for me unless incredible bargains start to appear in the stores.) At this point I'm inclined to buy most vs. rent, but that will probably change with the avg. BD price in the ~$25 range even at the discount stores.

So given that I don't have to have the best price, what is your recommendation for a "knock my socks off" BD first experience ?? I like action flicks and music videos of the "baby-boomer rock genre".

(I have not yet set up my 2 extra speakers for 7.1 SS but let me know if the ones you recommend have the SB tracks and I'll take the time to do that first!)

Have fun...!

TIA and BRgds...

I am Legend would be a good start...Kill Bill 1 and 2 have excellent PQ and AQ...

Second on I Am Legend... While I haven't seen Transformers on BD, if the HD-DVD version is any indication, that would be a good one as well.

Ratatouille is also fantastic, technically speaking, but not really an "action flick." ;)

Tks, Folks - Keep 'em coming!

I have Transformers in HD DVD and it's awesome. Since BD can stretch the envelope for both PQ and AQ, someday the comparison will be made. But since I already know that one well (watched it like 3 times!) then I'll choose something different for this first experience.

I like the Kill Bill series (big Uma fan dating back to Pulp Fiction days) but have also seen both several times. Both are likely future acqusitions when I can find deals.

So IAL is in the running! I was also disappointed that R was not released in HD DVD in the day. Perhaps it's time to pick that one up as well. (I like some animations, like Happy Feet.) I haven't seen either. What else ??

Is that the same ZZ Top concert that has appeared on TV lately? (Either HDNet or palladia, can't remember which ??) I didn't see/hear all of it so that would be a great experience.

I had to google "POTC"...I knew "of the" was the middle part but couldn't for the life of me come up with the rest! It was an immediate find! I'm also a big Depp fan, so I might start with one of the "Pirates..." flix as well...!

Last edited:
I second Ratatouille.

And look into Amazon and Fry's. They both seem to regularly have good deals going, much less per disk than $25. I've gotten several averaging below $20.

Yeah same concert... you have to play with the different audio optons to find which sounds better... I have the POTC movies archived on both Dish and Directv EHDD's... the BD's are a cut above ;) and I like Pearl Harbor even though everyone gives it a ration of c***... :D

I have never seen PH either. The action scenes in the trailers seemed so contrived I dismissed it. But in a HT setup off disk it's probably a whole different matter, when content takes back seat to delivery! I'll put that on my "rent" list. Ties into your comment about off-sat. vs. off-disk renderings. Maybe it's the 1080p vs. i thing for the PQ and lossless bitstreams for the AQ ?? I have experienced at least the AQ part of that with my HD-A35. (I don't think my XBR2 TV makes a real distinction between i and p, and it does not have the 24fps capability. So I will "judder" either way...at least until I upgrade...!)

...And look into Amazon and Fry's. They both seem to regularly have good deals going, much less per disk than $25. I've gotten several averaging below $20.
I'll certainly be headed that way soon! Does iNetVideo have any great deals? I have bought about 20 "red" labels from them and the prices and experience were both positive, even with the devalued $...

I don't think I've seen anything better than Transformers on HDDVD :(...
I agree with that, but that one was fantastic all around in my system! Others tied but none beat it IMHO. I consider that to be one of my HD DVD benchmarks. It will be interesting to see how much BD expands upon that. Perhaps my $10K system won't show any real distinction. But BD was inevitable for me to continue with HDM in disk form. Maybe I'll be "wowed" more than I think at this point, hence my current quest for some real showcase titles...!

Iron Man is on my list as well - I just cringed at the price in WallyWorld last evening, $29, IIRC. Maybe BB will do better - I'll stop by there with the above shopping list...!

Blade Runner. Has great picture and the best HD audio I've heard.
It was after watching that movie that I realized that my HTIB was not sufficient to truly enjoying BD movies. Unfortunately a receiver and speaker purchase won't be happening for a bit of a while..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)