Record 6 shows on single dvr????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigmike025

Original poster
May 21, 2012
GA
Heard a rumor recently that this is now possible with directv. Anybody know if there is any truth to this?

They have a five tuner DVR, but I know nothing about a SINGLE box that can record 6 live channels.

msmith198025 said:
They have a five tuner DVR, but I know nothing about a SINGLE box that can record 6 live channels.

From my understanding it's working on a SWM system.

:welcome to Satelliteguys bigmike!

Dish has a new dvr called the Hopper that can do 6 during prime time, but there are restrictions as to what channels can be recorded. Directv has the new HR34 which can record 5 at one time like msmith said. It is a swm only dvr.

To clarify, you can add other HR boxes to the whole home system thereby giving yourself more tuners in the home to choose from, but it is not a unified group of tuners like it would be with one single box.

As Raoul said, welcome to the forum.

same here i tried taping and got up to 7 when i tried 8 it said tuner conflict and i have done it several times tape up to 7 a few times :)

As long as you have back to back shows on the same channel you should be able to do up to 10 recordings....at least for the overlap time :)

Don't forget about VOD you can record 5 shows plus download 1 so that makes 6 at once without overlaps ;)

:welcome to Satelliteguys bigmike!

Dish has a new dvr called the Hopper that can do 6 during prime time, but there are restrictions as to what channels can be recorded.

It is called Primetime Anytime, and it only works from 7:00-10:00 (8:00-11:00 E) nightly on ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC. So for anybody like myself, it is a joke, as I care absolutely nothing about network TV.

its a cool feature, but as you say its limited. So far, and I record a good bit, 5 tuners is working for me perfectly. Previously I always had a 2 tuner HDDVR from Directv/Dish (or the 4 tuner 722k) and a TiVo 2 tuner, but the HR34 has allowed me to dump all of that and work out OK.

It must have been the hr34 that the guy had, he just did a horrible job explaining it to me. Guess i will be using the hr24 for awhile longer!

Just curious, but if with Dish's Hopper, you can only record specific programming during prime time, then, what can you record when not in prime time? How many at once?

This is outside my area of expertise so those in the know please correct me where I'm wrong...

Isn't this feature just a clever use of standard DBS tech? By my simplistic understanding, a single tuner picks up the digital stream from a satellite transponder. That digital stream has several channels (I think 4 HD in the case of DirecTV). The receiver strips out the data that is not related to the channel the viewer is watching or recording and discards it.

I believe Dish has just put all four networks in a single stream on a single transponder and records the entire stream. If that is indeed the case it would stand to reason that any receiver with enough horsepower could be programed, barring patent infringement, to do the same. So it would not seem to be a technical impossibility for DirecTV to do something similar on the HR34 if they wanted to, though there us no
indication that they are working on it.

Again, I may be way off on this so take it for what it's worth.

Just curious, but if with Dish's Hopper, you can only record specific programming during prime time, then, what can you record when not in prime time? How many at once?

3 max not during prime time or if you turn that feature off

I believe Dish has just put all four networks in a single stream on a single transponder and records the entire stream. If that is indeed the case it would stand to reason that any receiver with enough horsepower could be programed, barring patent infringement, to do the same. So it would not seem to be a technical impossibility for DirecTV to do something similar on the HR34 if they wanted to, though there us no
indication that they are working on it.

you are correct. But its the HD networks only. If you dont have HD nets in your market available then the option does not work

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)