GEOSATpro Recorded programs randomly stop in playback with MicroHD and self powered hard drive...

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
I searched for this issue before posting, hope I'm not repeeating.

First, I'm THRILLED with the reliability of the MDH unit! For someone who's more than "casual" as a user, but less than "power' user as someone said, my MicroHD has very well controlled a V-Box to a C-band BUD, and with the proper switching has 2, going on 3 stationary
dishes also feeding. Timers, clock time, video quality, all good. Remote better (as I posted) when programmed to a Philips universal with stronger IR signal. All around, I'm very happy, and have had NO lockups. Still running originally supplied software.

My question is this:
With the MHD connected to an externally powered Western Digital hard drive, I get stable, great recordings...but I've had issues with random stopping of playback, which returns me to the current "live" channel.

This has happened on MeTV feeds, PBS feeds, and others on all different satellites and transponders, probably different types of demands on the system overall. I can't predict the random stopping of playback, it just "does" and I restart then fast-forward.

Thought my remote control relay from the bedroom TV (to which the system has a phone-line SD distribution system connected) was creating random IR causing this, but unplugged the remote relay, and I still have the issue. No harm is done to the recordings, it's just an inconvenience to me. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that it could also be an RF issues, given the radio station location.....

Has anyone else run into this? If so, have you been able to predict why it happens?

Very pleased with MicroHD, have not updated firmware yet, as I have not had any issue beyond this!

Thoughts and ideas welcomed and solicited!

That happens to me also. Here's the pattern: I'm watching a recording just fine. A new timer recording kicks off, and it throws me out of the recording, and to the channel about to record. Once the timer starts, I can go back into my recording. Unfortunately, you've lost the place it was at since it didn't mark it, and you have to jump or fast-forward to find it again.

Real annoying, that's for sure! I'm waiting for this to be fixed, AND for the 30 second jump button while in recordings to be fixed. Hopefully that'll happen in a future firmware upgrade.

p.s. It doesn't throw you out when a timed recording ends, only when one begins! Oh, and I also am using a WD 750gb powered drive

Last edited:
Radio,

Haven't heard of this happening and have not observed on the bench. I could understand that this could occur if the drive data was interrupted. Have you tried a different USB drive to see if the issue can be replicated on different hardware?

Primestar31's observation with timer event exits from playback would not be related to your report on random playback exit.

Last edited:
I will attempt a different externally powered drive early next week and report! I also have witnessed the unit do what Primestar 31 observes, but at least
we can still play back while recording which is nice. Agreed, on the finding your viewing point. Doesn't give us time to "mark" it per instructions another
satguy reported some time ago. Figured this was just to be expected given a timer and a playback at the same time.

Congrats on a GREAT product overall! Its so nice to be able to rely on actually ENJOYING programming without the freezeups. Small hiccups are to be
accepted in a hobby like this, and eventually found and fixed, but your MHD is definitely a great product!

That happens to me also. Here's the pattern: I'm watching a recording just fine. A new timer recording kicks off, and it throws me out of the recording, and to the channel about to record. Once the timer starts, I can go back into my recording. Unfortunately, you've lost the place it was at since it didn't mark it, and you have to jump or fast-forward to find it again.

Real annoying, that's for sure! I'm waiting for this to be fixed, AND for the 30 second jump button while in recordings to be fixed. Hopefully that'll happen in a future firmware upgrade.

p.s. It doesn't throw you out when a timed recording ends, only when one begins! Oh, and I also am using a WD 750gb powered drive

I was wrong. It not only throws you out of a watched recording when a timer starts, it DOES in fact also sometimes throw you out of a watched recording when a timer event ends.

I was watching a recording from last night this afternoon and it suddenly just stopped and went to live channel. I fast forwarded to were it stopped and it played the rest fine. First time it has happened for me.

I was watching a recording from last night this afternoon and it suddenly just stopped and went to live channel. I fast forwarded to were it stopped and it played the rest fine. First time it has happened for me.

Did a timer fire off right then, either "record" or "channel"? If so, that explains it.

SatPhreak said:

There may have been a break in the Transport Stream causing the playback to end and return to live programming. The playback may have been interrupted by errors in the data file or in delivery by the USB memory device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)