GEOSATpro remote access?

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
My title is probably misleading but what I would like to know is if there is a way to wifi the LNB port to the motor control unit instead of having it hardwired? These devices are on 2 different floors of the house. Or is the DC power from the STB necessary to control the motor controller and/or do the H/V switching? I'm trying to find a way to get rid of the cabling so that I don't have to drill holes in the floor and/or route the cabling through the walls - which would be a hassle. And I don't want to drill holes in my new hardwood floor. The STB could be put downstairs next to the motor control but I'd still would need to wifi the STB HDMI port to the TV upstairs. I don't want to complicate this setup with a PC. I suppose using wifi on the HDMI port won't work because of DRM.

Actually Fred555 built a wireless unit to accomplish a wireless connection to the dish. But I think the receiver (PC card) was at the dish also. Definitely was a wild looking setup :)

I suppose using wifi on the HDMI port won't work because of DRM.
Wireless is a terrible way to do things that don't move, but it is possible. I'd guess that most of the Wireless HDMI extenders support HDCP (the key to DRM support).

I use a couple of runs of CAT5e with a pair of HDMI wall receptacles to send HDMI (including HDCP) 60 feet away. The wall receptacles also carry an IR signal from the remote TV back to the source device.

Monoprice HDMI Over Cat5e / Cat6 Extender Wall Plate (Pair), Single Port (1P), White - Monoprice.com

Did I mention that they are pretty cheap?

I guess I'll look into getting a LAN connected TV and STB and see if that'll solve my problems. I'm not looking forward to doing streaming though - assuming that it can be done. Whether I run cables through walls or using streaming over the LAN it doesn't seem like a cheap or easy solution. Got to come up with a solution to make the wife happy. Having exposed coax cables doesn't bother me.

Whether I run cables through walls or using streaming over the LAN it doesn't seem like a cheap or easy solution.
The two CAT6 + wall plates is probably around $45 plus your labor (depending on actual cable length). A wireless solution is somewhere between $150 and $200 with very little labor.

Note that neither of these solutions use your existing LAN network (wired or Wi-fi).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts