Replace car A/C clutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Is it possible to just replace the clutch without replacing the whole compressor? My clutch went out after getting soaked in pag oil while I was charging the system and the blow off pressure valve released.

I started pricing replacement compressor kits and man I'll definitely avoid Napa, they wanted $500+ for a new compressor with drier, orific tube, oil, and proportioning valves while I have found the same exact kit on ebay for under $200 so I might just take the plunge and get one from an ebay seller.

Mike500

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2003
Thiepval
Yeah, you don't need to discharge the system to replace the clutch.

The lock plate is on the outside. You leave the belt on and remove the center bolt. Then, you thread in a bolt (5/8x11 on American compressors) to pop off the lock plate. Disconect the coil wire power wire and the coil ground wire. If the coil is flange mounted, taking off the four mounting bolts will let you remove the coil. If the coil is pressed on, you will need a special coil remover tool. For Japanese Sankyo and Sanden rotary compressors the bolts might or might not be metric.

I was an auto air conditioning mechanic some 35 years, ago, working summers while I was studying engineering in college.

Last edited:

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
We dont have any of those here dfergie, pep boys, auto zone, advance auto parts, oriley's, and one or two other regional shops and ofcourse the king of high prices Napa.

Im not sure on wether it can be taken apart, the face of the clutch is two inches from the overflow bottle for the radiator but cleaning wont do the trick, while I was inspecting the unit down at the post office it spit out a large glob of melted clutch pad at me so it has to be replaced regardless.

I really dont want to go the route of a reman unit, I've used enough reman parts in the past that I dont want to have to take it back within a month or less so if it has to be the whole unit then its gotta be new but I hope that this is the last repair I have for a while as in the last 10 months I've replaced the tires followed by the trans and now this and there are still a few things left to do mechanicly that are small and cheap but still its not like this is a classic car or that special car.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Yeah, you don't need to discharge the system to replace the clutch.

The lock plate is on the outside. You leave the belt on and remive the center bolt. Then, you thread in a bolt (5/8x11 on American compressors) to pop off the lock plate. Disconect the coil wire power wire and the coil ground wire. If the coil is flange mounted, taking off the four mounting bolts will let you remove the coil. If the coil is pressed on, you will need a special coil remover tool. For Japanese Sankyo and Sanden rotary compressersm the bolts might or might not be metric.

I was an auto air conditioning mechanic some 35 years, ago, working summers while I was studying engineering in college.

Hmmm, I might have to make a trip with a case of your choice beverage.

Vans a Canadian model, I'll have to look closer to see if I can find the model number on the compressor and refresh myself as some of what you said above went by me like trying to do the 1040 long form. I believe that what your talking about inregards to the coils pertains to the clutch asembly inside the housing if Im correct. Now the next question is where do I find the replacement parts, through the manufacturer or another aftermartket supplier?

Mike500

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2003
Thiepval
Hmmm, I might have to make a trip with a case of your choice beverage.

Vans a Canadian model, I'll have to look closer to see if I can find the model number on the compressor and refresh myself as some of what you said above went by me like trying to do the 1040 long form. I believe that what your talking about inregards to the coils pertains to the clutch asembly inside the housing if Im correct. Now the next question is where do I find the replacement parts, through the manufacturer or another aftermartket supplier?

Is it a GM Frigidaire Harrison rotary or a swash plate long 6 cylinder compressor? Or is it a Ford Borg Warner rotary? The coil is probably OK. You just need the stator and center friction plates. Usually service is required for a loud bearing.

Your best bet for parts is NAPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)