Repurposing Dish 500 and/or 148 Dish

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
It looks like I will be getting Verizon Fios shortly, eliminating the likelihood I will need any Dish programming in the near future (2 years). I don't want to reuse the dish I have pointing at 61.5 yet, at least not until SkyAngel completely goes away, but I would be willing to point my Dish 500 or the dish pointing at 148 to FTA.

Would any part of this system work with Glorystar and/or more general FTA? What would I be missing not having the full FTA feed, but instead staying limited to Glorystar?

I might get a single receiver to add to the mix and phase back to a single 522 when I get my Fios TV. I do notice that Fios TV includes several Christian channels, including the TBN ones mentioned here.

EDIT: I guess I should have read the FAQ first. It looks like I would need a new dish, so that thought is out (unless the Dish 500 is large enough). I don't know that the additional channels over what Verizon Fios has are worth it. I may just figure a way to hook a computer up into my "system" at home so I can have the radio channels I really want (with Internet radio feeds).

My other questions remain about what I would miss from FTA with Glorystar. I am not clear after reading the FAQ again.

Brad

If you leave the dish aimed at 110/119 you can get NASA, Angel One and the audio channels from Dish (Muzak & CD audio ones). You can integrate the dish with the larger dish for Glorystar if you want :)

Will the DVR still work on those channels without any Dish account?

If so, maybe I will just leave one 522 hooked up for that. :)

Brad

sort of. There are some channels that the DIsh box will get and some that only the FTA box will get

Dish box will get
NASA
ANGEL ONE
CCTV9
and the Preview type channels (101, 103, etc)
And the DVR should work getting those.

A FTA box will get Angel One, Nasa, the audio channels (920-983) and the preview channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts