Reset 3 times a day

JadedHawk

Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
USA
Every since I recieved the new stations cmt, lmn and the others I have to reset my box (unplug it and plug it back in) at least three times a day. The picture now freezes. Do anyone else have this problem? Is thier someway to fix it?

All of my boxes (6 of them) have been locking up (3 to 6 times per day)since the download. Tivo just records the frozen screen and then my wife is most unhappy. My wife is ready to cancel. I'm fighting to keep my voom and my life (voom first :) )

Does anyone have any ideas on a fix? Voom is sending out a tech... I'm not sure what he can do...

Thanks

I see this issue on one box but not on the other. It happens to occur on the one connected to my TIVO, which means I've recorded a bunch of static images.

I've only seen this issue since the new channels appeared.

I wonder if this only occurs on those that have multiple boxes. I had a simialr issue occur on my Dish equipment. They messed up the signaling between boxes and switch to handle which circular polarization to use.

JadedHawk said:
Every since I recieved the new stations cmt, lmn and the others I have to reset my box (unplug it and plug it back in) at least three times a day. The picture now freezes. Do anyone else have this problem? Is thier someway to fix it?
Are you in DC area by any chance?
By the way, welcome to the forum!

Just called Voom, they want to come out and switch out the box.

As long as that works, I'll be happy.

iamb in the da.ca. area and i am having the same problem got home this morning and turned on tv screen is frozen on 2 of the three tvs. the other tv freezes to. they also have a surfing problem with channels coming out of order. come on voom lets get this fixed and lets also get some rsn in hd. :)

This is happening on 2 of my 3 boxes. I first noticed it Friday night when the box would not turn off, just froze up and then did it again Saturday twice. My son's box did it on Saturday (picture just blanked out) and then again last night. This has all started within the last couple of days. The wife called VOOM the first time (I found this out later) and they just told her to unplug, it wait a few moments, plug it back in, go to channel 100. What is up? Would like to know what the tech says for anyone that is getting a service call. :confused:

If anyone is at home now, try disconnecting all but one box. I believe it is due to the software improperly communicating with the switch. With two or more boxes on the switch, things are going haywire.

If the switch is incorrectly configuring the circular polarization...
1) It can tune in the wrong channel.
2) It might not receive the guide, since the box thinks it is getting the signal from the right channel, but is not.
3) Can cause lock ups.

I've experience the same problem on my E* equipment.

When I get home, I'm going to disconnect the cable from all but one box.

Somehow I think it is tied to the new channels. This also happened to me in January, but only happened a couple of times. I also think what happened in January was due to poor ventilation and overheating. I've since moved my boxes to increase ventilation. What is happening right now is ridiculous and much worse than what happened earlier. I had to reset my box about ten times last night, maybe about twenty times in total over the last week.

From what I've read I don't think it is due to SuperDMA, since several members have reported having the issue without being a SuperDMA zone.

A second way to possibly disprove my theory...
Has anyone with just one receiver recently start experiencing the same problem?

HD at last said:
From what I've read I don't think it is due to SuperDMA, since several members have reported having the issue without being a SuperDMA zone.

A second way to possibly disprove my theory...
Has anyone with just one receiver recently start experiencing the same problem?
My receivers were working fine after VOOM added new channels...had their hissy fit after receiving the new DMA. Also, it is possible that VOOM/Motorola engineers have been downloading micro patches to certain areas of the country. I don't know, but I reported this problem on Thursday and here it is Monday afternoon. Sure wish VOOM would tell us what they're doing to identify, isolate and resolve these problems. Don't they have a website, INVOOM and the HDNews channel? :confused: Hell, if you want to increase viewship of HDNews by 10000%, post network outages on the HDNews Livewire at the top and bottom of every hour. ;)

I'm in Dallas, so I think the new channels and SuperDMA occurred at the same time. So I wouldn't be able to isolate if it was one or the other.

My previous overheating problem had me thinking, with the new encoders being applied, our hardware might be working harder in certain situations causing it to momentarily overheat or experience other malfunctions. That would still correspond to new channels being added or more correctly when the new decoders were enabled, but the issue might not appear unless the right material is being used and the right encoding scheme is present. So it might not have occurred until recently. By the way, I experienced most of my lockups on 511 Biography. Many times the screen is frozen right as the last digit is entered. (Many times the TIVO enters 511 despite already being on 511, which does not cause a channel change). I'm not implying that changing channels causes this, because it has also frozen in the middle of a program with nothing unusual going on. But then again MPEG decoding is pretty standard, you would think something like this would have occured before. But there are other things going on like decryption and security that could have been affected.

Same problem here in DC.

I only have one box, so it's not the multiple box issue that someone suggested.

It's been happening to me since about last Thursday or Friday, and it's really pissing me off, since I've been recording a lot of frozen TV with media center.

I'm ready to go to Comcast digital cable, and for those of you that know how bad they can be, that just shows how fed up I am!

Soft resets don't fix it, usually, so I have to unplug and re-plug. I don't think it's an overheating issue, because it is nice and cool in the room where the box is, and it's open on all 4 sides around the box.

No rhyme or reason to the channel numbers in which my receivers locked-up: 524 (Lifetime), 9 (CBS/OTA), 201 (HBOHD), 102 (World Cinema). IMO, the S-DMA is corrupting PG-->PG is corrupting OS and leaking memory-->memory leaks locks-up the STB. Sounds like a Microsoft OS to me. :D

same here...one box only...started 5 days ago...have to unplug/plug...something is screwed up

I just called Voom support and they can't get a new receiver out to me for swap out for 2 weeks so I have to live with my receiver locking up everyday...I think that just totally sucks. If it didn't take so long to download the channel lineup I wouldn't be so pissed.

VOOM stb locking up at least 2 times per day after new DMA released,DC area,this is old ,will call VOOM for some anwsers tomorrow morning.Wish I was back to the times before DMA release,no problems prior to 3/8/05

STB has been locking up on me constantly since S-DMA release(twice today), PG messing up when I scroll through view channels. I didn't have any problems until now. I hope they get a fix soon. Also I wish they would give us the Richmond DMA.
love my VOOM

My and son report that there were no lockups on my VOOM boxes at home for yesterday. Maybe the problem is fixed (at least for me maybe).

FredVaVoomer said:
STB has been locking up on me constantly since S-DMA release(twice today), PG messing up when I scroll through view channels. I didn't have any problems until now. I hope they get a fix soon. Also I wish they would give us the Richmond DMA.
love my VOOM
My STBs have been working fine since yesterday. I have already requested an Spotsy/Fredericksburg area DMA since we also pick up Richmond and Charlottesville - I'll add 22554.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts