Resolution race mania...

The Samsung Galaxy S3 went from 306 dpi ... to 441 dpi in the S4.
Frankly, I find the Retina display in numerous Apple products to be perfectly adequate, at 326 dpi.
But I'm not signing up for less in a phone or tablet.
So 538 does seem a bit of an overkill ... and maybe just for bragging rights.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 went from 306 dpi ... to 441 dpi in the S4.
Frankly, I find the Retina display in numerous Apple products to be perfectly adequate, at 326 dpi.
But I'm not signing up for less in a phone or tablet.
So 538 does seem a bit of an overkill ... and maybe just for bragging rights.

It's all dependent on viewing distance. Retina is a marketing term. It also isn't one particular resolution or pixel density but rather a function of viewing distance vs. dpi. A large enough screen, at distance could have a low DPI but still be considered "retina". Curiously enough, the higher dpi would allow for closer viewing while maintaining non-visible pixels.

Higher resolution does become more theoretically usable real estate, but without a stylus, I don't see the value in it.

As demonstration of this, the iPad retina dpi is lower (264) than the iPhone dpi precisely because it's typical viewing is closer to arm's length than half an arms length.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

Higher resolution does become more theoretically usable real estate, but without a stylus, I don't see the value in it.
By coincidence, I do use a stylus on my iPhone. ;)
...the iPad retina dpi is lower (264) than the iPhone dpi precisely because it's typical viewing is closer to arm's length than half an arms length.
Having spent many months on an iPhone and only minutes with iPads, I missed that nugget.
My only impression was that the regular iPad display and that of the mini, were inadequate for smooth text when vieing this site .
When i finally tested an iPad 3 with the 264 resolution , it seemed fine in portrait mode.
As a 5.5 inch screen suggests a slightly longer viewing distance than a smaller phone, the high pixel count seems harder to justify.
?I guess the icons and text will be really smooth! ;)
?Kudos for technology.
edit: reference http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density

Last edited:
If it lowers the price of larger WQHD panels I am all for it.

I wouldn't mind getting them in the $400 range from the major players.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts