Retailer Chat Recap - November 10th, 2005

my thought on the ethernet is going to be a replacement choice for all those cellular on people...we know how much they love to touch other wires! :D

WOW! Looks like Dish is doing this faster than expected. I will probably hold back on buying an 811 now and pick up a 211VIP. So Scott is it suspected Dish Store WILL be carrying this? I am SO excited.

Glad you got some info from the Retailer Chat, Scott.. ;)

Regardless if it was via video or audio :)

Thanks..

I see several issues here and hope they get resolved in the future. I would have thought that the price would have been about half of what they are currently wanting to get more people to buy the MPEG-4 HD receivers. They are still too expensive. Also, with the price being that high, it seems as if it will be a bit longer before the swapout will take place or at least the MPEG-4 receivers will be the entry level receiver. I think they are just releasing it for the first time at a higher price until the price drops on the technology. It should be comparable in price to the 111/311.

I hope they find a way to squeeze all that new hotness into a 111. A baby receiver would be cool, especially if it had firewire output. *drool*

DREAM ON, I suppose :\

Personally I think the secret to doing the HTPC just right would be a dish receiver specifically designed to be plugged into a computer (outputting standard firewire H.264) -- whoa hey look! Yep that can be done :)

The little box could still come with a remote for TV use and.. yeah.. it'd still be way awesome, plus you could plug as many into a machine as you wished (though said computer would have to be powerful enough to compress multiple H.264 streams at the same time, and with HD that is NOT easy)

Did I mention how much I'd be a Dish Zealot if they did that? :)

OoTLink said:
That, and you could brag to the cable company you use their internet service to get ondemand on your satellite box *evil grin*

Yeah, but what if the internet providers start blocking the ports used by E* or block the style of packets due to bandwith constraints on their network.

SBC last week made a comment about want Google to pay for users accessing their services over SBC lines, and that got the ear of the FCC, SBC said that those comments were a mistake.

In addition in the past one ISP blocked ports for Vonage, and the FCC quickly jumped in and fined the ISP.

I don't think ISP's will block Dish's VOD services. :)

Okay a few other details outta the chat...

Reality and Holiday channel available Nov 16

Fox Sports West 2 going from Spotbeam to full conus.

Echostar says pocketdish better than iPod (LAUGH)

The 411 and 211 look almost identical, and it was titled "DISH 411 & ViP211" on the slide.

Remote for the 411 looks more like the comcast dvr remote. (at least to me)

Jim said to "use and sell" the 811s that are in stock, dont get rid of them :)

Reciever only come with phone line cord, composite (yellow/red/white). NO component cable. NO S-video, maybe (jim will "check on it")

Jim mentioned spotbeam HD LIL. ("not sure of locations")

Still looking at offering broadband over satellite.

riffjim4069 said:
This is all very interesting stuff, but I feel that MPEG-4 is going to be a slow and measured transition for E*. By measured, E* would prefer to give new customers MPEG-4 receivers, replace existing receivers at the end of its normal life, and sell discounted MPEG-4 receivers to customers...just as long as they sign on that dotted line for 12-24 months of programming service. In other words, I don't see E* customers getting mass quantities of MPEG-4 receivers in the near future. Also, E* intends to move as quickly, or as slowly, as the competition dictates. If D* satellites remain standing on the launch pad and Verizon FiOS TV is stuck in Cable Franchise legislation, then don't look for E* to move at the pace of a tortoise. Like Scott said, I doubt we'll see more than a handful of 211/411 receivers in the coming months. VOOM DBS played this "Great Hardware Coming" game for more than a year. I'll remain pessimistic until I see a press release and pricing information.

D* is rolling out its HD LiL to the major DMA's very soon, and in fact I saw 16+ H20 (the brand spanking new MPEG4 HD receiver) units sitting in the local Best Buy today, ready to be purchased. I didn't see a price on them, a display set up with the unit, nor a shelf tag. D* is not waiting, so I think E* is being forced to act at the moment.

I'm really interested in seeing these boxes in action.

Interesting that they're going to give out DVR-like remotes for non-DVR receivers, moreso that with ethernet they're STILL using the phone jack.

This should be interesting :D

The Big Wood said:
D* is rolling out its HD LiL to the major DMA's very soon, and in fact I saw 16+ H20 (the brand spanking new MPEG4 HD receiver) units sitting in the local Best Buy today, ready to be purchased. I didn't see a price on them, a display set up with the unit, nor a shelf tag. D* is not waiting, so I think E* is being forced to act at the moment.

I see that happening as E* doesnt even have HD DNS at the moment. Thank god im in the number 3 dma as Im sure im going to be one of the first subs to get hd LIL. NYC and LA is an easy fix as all they have to do is uplink the rest.. I have a feeling the game plan will be fully layed out by this time next month.. yes that soon. :)

OoTLink said:
I'm really interested in seeing these boxes in action.

Interesting that they're going to give out DVR-like remotes for non-DVR receivers, moreso that with ethernet they're STILL using the phone jack.

This should be interesting :D

That is the same remote, or at least the same style as the remote that comes with the 811, which is also non-DVR.

roachxp said:
Yeah, but what if the internet providers start blocking the ports used by E* or block the style of packets due to bandwith constraints on their network.

Doesn't that sound just like something my local cable monopoly would do, since they control ALL means of broadband in this community. :mad:

Dang, I hope E* actually gets their broadband options up and running soon. :yes

It's been fun, and thanks for all the fish.

New software update for 322 receivers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts