RG 11 cable

dude2

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 20, 2006
What is the difference between rg6 and rg11 cable. I have never worked with rg11 but have been told by my local tech that I should change out the rg6 to rg11 and my pq would be better on both hd and sd.

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
Size & price

The RG-11 may have a lower amt of antenuation than RG-6 due to the size of the conductor. It has a 14 awg and RG-6 has 16 awg. The thing is I have looked at several sites and none of them rate the freq sweep of the cable at a freq higher than 1ghz. The better RG-6 is rated well past 3ghz, The signal that is used in sat is 950 to 2150 mhz ( .95 to 2.15 ghz ). RG 11 may be great for cable or OTA but since it isn't rated for higher freq I would stay away from it. Also you will have to use special connectors to fit into the F connectors or it will spread them out so large that only RG 11 can be used. The connectors are also quite pricey.

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
The RG11 cable has a larger core, but tinned and stranded. It is scaled up to maintain 75 ohms. But: the dielectric is solid compared to RG6's foam so there is more high frequency attenuation. (BTW: RG6 has a large core than RG59 because of the lower dielectric constant and to keep 75 ohm impedance.) RG6 is a lot easier to bend, too. I would use RG11 only for OTA when you need to power an antenna amp at more that 200 feet and then it would be better to use a separate power cord. RG6 with thick enough braid should give a good DC pass for most runs.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts