Status
Please reply by conversation.

Keystone7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
North Indiana
Hello Guys,
I was out fine tuning the dishes last night after the farmer took down his corn. I noticed the copper connectors on the rg6 were looking pretty bad. I had some rust and just bad looking on the inside the screw area. I use compression fittings and that end is good. Have any good ideas for a good lubricate I can put on the screw rails when I connect the cables? I am going to replace the fittings next couple of days. Rain coming this weekend! I just want to make sure the screw in end is water tight! Thanks, need to go to work now and will check forum when I get home tonight. Thanks for your help!

Dielectric compound. Brand name "Stuf". Works very well.The following is from MJ Sales site:

? "STUF Dielectric water proofing filler for coax connectors used by cable installers. Just fill the coax connector with Stuf. Cable installer preferred.Stuf contains Teflon®. Just fill the coax connector with STUF and tighten. One tube contains enough product to treat 100 coax connectors. Common coaxial cables, utilize foamed polyethylene as a transmission core. STUF closely simulates this material in dielectric properties, minimizing insertion and return signal losses while maintaining signal level.

Last edited:
I use screw on fittings, not the compression types and I put them together using Vaseline Petroleum Jelly at all coax connections. Been doing this since back in June of 2000 when I moved my Winegard dish from the old house to this new one.

IMHO it's just as important to keep air out of those connections as it is to keep water out as 80/90% summer humidity is about as bad as actually being submerged in water. No air or water in those connections = no corrosion problems. And did I mention that Petroleum Jelly is cheap, and, I'd bet you already have some of that in your medicine cabinet! ;)

RE: Signal degradation from using this stuff? Well, I get most all the stuff others pick up so I can't say whether or not there's any problems with it. If I had problems getting stuff I want to watch, then I'd probably try something different but the way it's working now and has worked in the past is good enough for me.

Oh, and did I mention that I like stuff that's cheap? :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts