Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Get rid of many of these ads when you become a member of SatelliteGuys Today! Membership is fast and FREE! CLICK HERE to sign up now!

RG6 or RG11

Discussion in 'The DISH Forum' started by ckorjus, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ckorjus

ckorjus Thread Starter New Member

I have a Dish Network Exede satellite internet system. The dish is approximately 200' away from the modem, connected by RG6, solid copper, ~ 8 year old, cable running through conduit. The long run, per the dish network tech, results in poor cable attenuation (20.1 db) and less than ideal (though generally pretty good) internet service.

To improve service, he suggested using RG11, solid copper, direct burial, quad shielded cable. The problem is that RG11, solid copper, direct burial cable does not appear to exist (except Belden #7732A which would cost over ~$1,000 for the 200 ft). I understand that satellite systems work best with solid copper to conduct electricity to the lnb but that RG11 would perform substantially better as to signal loss.

So, my question(s) are:

1. Is there a RG11, solid copper, direct burial, quad shielded cable that I can purchase for say less than $350.
    2. If not, am I better off with an RG11, copper clad steel, cable along the lines of the Belden 1618A cable which should improve the signal.
    3. Or, a high quality RG6, solid copper, cable which would conduct electricity well (better than RG11?) but not help as much with the signal loss.

Thoughts?

Advertisements Register Today!

Reigster at SatelliteGuys
  2. nelson61

nelson61 SatelliteGuys Family Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU!

You should just about quadruple your signal strength (about 6 dbw) with the copper clad RG11 when compared to your existing cable run. So. no need for more than RG 11 copper clad.

3. Dishman-n-nc

Dishman-n-nc Member Pub Member / Supporter

I have R11 cable. Pm me and let me know where you live. Depending on location will depend on if I can help you.

4. Claude Greiner

Claude Greiner SatelliteGuys Family Pub Member / Supporter

Here is a question, do you got a garage close by to the Dish?

Put the modem in the Garage, and run cat5 into the house through the conduit.