Roku decides to ruin pausing

A lot of assumptions and overreaction about a patent, not a plan or announcement.

If Roku didn't do it someone else would. Now unless they do it another way they have to license it from them.

If/when a product that does this ever is released, you can speak with your wallet.

A lot of assumptions and overreaction about a patent, not a plan or announcement.

If Roku didn't do it someone else would. Now unless they do it another way they have to license it from them.

If/when a product that does this ever is released, you can speak with your wallet.
Well, yes and no. I can stop buying Roku products, but what do I do about the Roku TV I already have that I use with an AppleTV 4K? This kind of Darth Vader "I am altering the deal..." changing of the terms and conditions, and changing the basic functionality of their products after purchase should be illegal.

It seems to me our only recourse is to overreact on the Internet ahead of time to get the attention of the company, to let them know it will be an unpopular move, and reconsider whether it is worth doing.

I like Roku. I want them to succeed, but this is not an acceptable way to do business IMHO.

Well, yes and no. I can stop buying Roku products, but what do I do about the Roku TV I already have that I use with an AppleTV 4K? This kind of Darth Vader "I am altering the deal..." changing of the terms and conditions, and changing the basic functionality of their products after purchase should be illegal.

It seems to me our only recourse is to overreact on the Internet ahead of time to get the attention of the company, to let them know it will be an unpopular move, and reconsider whether it is worth doing.

I like Roku. I want them to succeed, but this is not an acceptable way to do business IMHO.
All they did was file a patent..nothing has actually changed

All they did was file a patent..nothing has actually changed
And it was only for their brand of Televisions .

But I expect others will try it also, Vizio would be one, since it is being bought by Walmart, for the purpose of gaining more advertising $$$$.

This is still a LONG way from being a High End Set.

Sony and the others are Not Shaking in thier Boots !
What do you think Sony et. al. thought of TCL and HiSense a few years back? Now that is all anyone is talking about as the "best TVs." I am not saying I am going to buy a Roku, TCL, or HiSense, but things can change fast in a low-margin business like TVs.

What do you think Sony et. al. thought of TCL and HiSense a few years back? Now that is all anyone is talking about as the "best TVs." I am not saying I am going to buy a Roku, TCL, or HiSense, but things can change fast in a low-margin business like TVs.
Well a spin off of TCL had made many screens for other manufacturers for years. Kinda like the way Acer made mother boards before hitting the computer scene.

I'm not in the Low end market.

Margins on TV's have always been very little ...

Margins on TV's have always been very little ...
TCL, like Sony and everyone else, makes lower and higher end TVs, but at a better price.

But, they no longer make Roku TV, just Google because it was cheaper to license then Roku for the OS.

I have no idea who makes the TVs for Roku today, but they do have a high end, the Roku Pro Series (mini LEDs, VRR, etc), but no reviews yet.

In my opinion, Samsung does not deserve high end status, their TVs do not have Dolby Vision, because their TVs cannot handle the processing for it, also receives the most complaints because the OS significantly slows down quite quickly.

Reactions: AZ.
Neither are TCL and HiSense anymore, or at least not only low end. Ratings from CNET, rtings.com, Digital Trends, etc. are quite high. Not quite as good as Sony/LG, but surprisingly close. They don't have to beat Sony/LG, but just be close enough and a lower cost to win a ton of customers away from them.

TCL, like Sony and everyone else, makes lower and higher end TVs, but at a better price.

But, they no longer make Roku TV, just Google because it was cheaper to license then Roku for the OS.

I have no idea who makes the TVs for Roku today, but they do have a high end, the Roku Pro Series (mini LEDs, VRR, etc), but no reviews yet.

In my opinion, Samsung does not deserve high end status, their TVs do not have Dolby Vision, because their TVs cannot handle the processing for it, also receives the most complaints because the OS significantly slows down quite quickly.
I didn't know that Samsung's didn't handle Dolby Vision.

Neither are TCL and HiSense anymore, or at least not only low end. Ratings from CNET, rtings.com, Digital Trends, etc. are quite high. Not quite as good as Sony/LG, but surprisingly close. They don't have to beat Sony/LG, but just be close enough and a lower cost to win a ton of customers away from them.
I'm sure they are getting thier share ...

I'm sure they are getting thier share ...
They are, Samsung is #1, while TCL is #2.