Status
Not open for further replies.

vegassatellite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I was at Target today shopping for a clock to hang on the wall. I like Roman numerals for clocks and there was this large, iron-looking round piece that I decided would look real nice at the top of the stair landing. $100 was a good price for a piece meant to appear aged. However, something was not quite right about this clock. It didn't dawn on me right away so I spent some time looking at the thing. Well, I came to realize that the Roman numeral for "4" was not written as "IV", but as "IIII". I couldn't believe that such a substantial piece would have such a mistake. Then I look at all their Roman numeral clocks. Yep, every one of them had been marked with "IIII". Needless to say, I didn't buy the clock I thought I would like. I was shaking my head the whole way out of the store.

Big blow to public education right there and to the Made In China method of manufacturing cheap goods. :rolleyes:

Actually, they have been that way for years. I remember a clock from my childhood (definitely before "made in china" was the default) where IIII=4. I noticed it back then and wondered why they made such a basic mistake. In fact, I'm looking at a German cuckoo clock on my wall right now that's the same way.

Now that I think of it, I don't know if I've ever seen a clock with "IV" on it. Maybe "IIII" is the "correct" way pertaining to clocks.

I have no idea why, though. I bet there's some technical or logical reason for it.

edit: a quick google search for search terms ["IIII" clock] turned this up: http://www.ubr.com/clocks/frequently-asked-questions-faq/faq-roman-iiii-vs-iv-on-clock-dials.aspx

Not a mistake. I was taught in HS Latin class, as covered in the link, that IIII was commonly used in Roman times.

Wow, is there anything that the internet doesn't know? [said in my best Homer Simpson voice]

Yep, this has been a learning experience. Another thing I had always wondered about but never thought to research until someone asked the question.

I had my own theory - it was risky to put "IV" under correct angle and don't messed up with reading it in awkward position at the 4 o'clock spot.
Just tell me what would be the angle ? 45 degree to left or to right ? Now turn a little the watch to left and to right and tell what number you'll see. Or letters. "AI".

Wow, is there anything that the internet doesn't know? [said in my best Homer Simpson voice]

The Internet, is that thing still around?

YAHQ. (Yet another Homer Quote)

Simpsonisms are a common form of language in my whole household. :D

D'ohh! The things I learn here! Now with this latest revelation I call my week complete and head off for Miller Time.

Head on over...I'm buying even tho' this isn't the Pub...!

Status
Not open for further replies.