rothelisberger/Passing

Jimbos said:
Joe was not that great in his early years, give him time.......
Personally, I thought Joe was a very average college QB and really turned into a great QB about 5 years into his pro career.
Jimbo

Jimbos,
My reason for saying that Ben was no Montana was to take a jab at a person who posted a message in another thread stating that anyone can hand the ball to Parker and Bettis. The underlying message was that Rothlisberger was good but not great. The person mentioned that Rothlisberger was no Montana.

I along with many who have posted in this thread did not agree with the comments.

Obviously Ben has silenced some of his critics. He will only get better as long as he stays healthy. Here we go Steelers!

rjc3895 said:
Jimbos,
My reason for saying that Ben was no Montana was to take a jab at a person who posted a message in another thread stating that anyone can hand the ball to Parker and Bettis. The underlying message was that Rothlisberger was good but not great. The person mentioned that Rothlisberger was no Montana.

I along with many who have posted in this thread did not agree with the comments.

Obviously Ben has silenced some of his critics. He will only get better as long as he stays healthy. Here we go Steelers!

Gotcha, I must have missed the other post, no big deal
Just thought it was a little early to be making comparasons to Montana.

Jimbo

Go Steelers !!!

bigmarkhd said:
Actually i think besides the running game and his great offesive line i believe its his natural ability to read defense and his great ability to dodge opponents and throw them off when there near.ON top of that there are maby 5 other Qbs in the nfl who have the Poise and look of confidence while he is in the pockect.All these are traits of a fantastic Qb and yet he is only 23.Watch out Aikmen,Marino,Montana,Elway.In no way im saying he is as good as they but trust me unless he has a devistating injury like palmer had this season he will be amoung the greats within 8-10 years.He will also be the next modern day tom brady who still is under rated by all means,yet he will have his head smarts plus many other talents that brady will never have.The only way for his carreer is up from here he is playing to go.

A great running game assumes a great offensive line as well. I dont think you really know what you have with Ben yet. He was installed after the line and backs were mature and told simply not to lose the game. You would have to put him on a rebuilding team to see what he is really made of. If their are flashes of excellence rising from the stench as there were with Aikman and Montana.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
A great running game assumes a great offensive line as well. I dont think you really know what you have with Ben yet. He was installed after the line and backs were mature and told simply not to lose the game. You would have to put him on a rebuilding team to see what he is really made of. If their are flashes of excellence rising from the stench as there were with Aikman and Montana.

I hope Ben never has to experience what Aikman went through. Aikman was 0-11 in his first year, 7-7 before getting injured in his second year (the year Emmitt Smith was drafted). Aikman really shined in his third season and beyond. Jerry Jones built a team around Aikman.

Ben has actually said on many occasions he has not proven anything yet and does not deserve to be counted among the NFL greatest after two seasons.

But when Ben wins 5 Super Bowls, we can count him among the best ever:D

rjc3895 said:
I hope Ben never has to experience what Aikman went through. Aikman was 0-11 in his first year, 7-7 before getting injured in his second year (the year Emmitt Smith was drafted). Aikman really shined in his third season and beyond. Jerry Jones built a team around Aikman.

Ben has actually said on many occasions he has not proven anything yet and does not deserve to be counted among the NFL greatest after two seasons.

But when Ben wins 5 Super Bowls, we can count him among the best ever:D

yeah right. I think the steelers are great but Palmer was on his way to shredding them apart yet again on his very first pass, a big completion as I recall, when a freak accident occured. Pittsburgh is good and played a couple of really great games but I question whether they would have gotten that far if not for the Palmer injury.

vurbano,

he completed one pass as i recall. SHREDDING THEM? wishful thinking. oh, i see they can beat indy and denver but the bungles would have shredded them! cincy doesnt belong in the same sentence with pitt, denver and indy.

sit back on feb 5 and cry in your beer watching ben rip the seacows apart.

dragon002 said:
vurbano,

he completed one pass as i recall. SHREDDING THEM? wishful thinking. oh, i see they can beat indy and denver but the bungles would have shredded them! cincy doesnt belong in the same sentence with pitt, denver and indy.

sit back on feb 5 and cry in your beer watching ben rip the seacows apart.

Maybe you cant read or remember for that matter.

1. I like the steelers as I mentioned before and they may very well beat the Seahawks.
2. Palmer only got one chance to throw one pass and as I recall Palmer shredded them apart previously in the year. Dont become blinded by your fanboy enthusiasm.
3. Cincy doesnt belong in the same sentence with Pitt? You must have been in a cave December 4, 2005 when Palmer picked you apart at Heinz field no less in a must win game for Pittsburgh. I think Pitt knew there only hope of beating Cincy would be to "take out" Palmer after that.

Last edited:
here we go again, they did it intentionally. B.S.

and WOW cincy beat the steelers in one game. what did they do when the chips were down??? LOST

vurbano said:
...........and as I recall Palmer shredded them apart previously in the year. Dont become blinded by your fanboy enthusiasm.
.................. You must have been in a cave December 4, 2005 when Palmer picked you apart at Heinz field no less in a must win game for Pittsburgh. I think Pitt knew there only hope of beating Cincy would be to "take out" Palmer after that.

Pittsburgh spanked Cincy in the first game.

The 2nd game was 38-31 with:

1) Pitt throwing 3 INT and 1 Fumble lost out of 4 - Cincy had 0 turnovers
2) Pitt leading in 1st Downs 28-21 (18-12 passing)
3) Pitt leading in yards 474 - 324 (379-222 passing)

Plus, Pittsburgh's shortest TD drive was 58 yards - Cincy had 22 yard and 3 yard TD drives.

I think your idea that Palmer "shredded" Pitt earlier in the year is an extreme stretch. Ben choked throwing 3 INTs, but Palmer was the 2nd most effective QB on the field that day at moving the offense.

I think you are remembering what you want to remember.

[EDIT] Oh, and Big Ben had that performance with a splint on his passing thumb.

Last edited:
Ok guys here it is.Aikmen nor montana where anything without an offensive line.Yes they were great once there teams built around them.Before that they were your average lets say david carr who personally i think is better than carson palmer if he had a line to give him some protection.My point is BIg ben was very fortunate to fit right in with a allready assembled great team.They were missing one peice and thats a real good decision making accurate Qb.Well PItt fans i think we have our montana.Yes its early to speculate but how could some of you guys speak against him when people like lynn swan and chris collinsworth who were at the game and see him play that last game in person say he is a great qb and has established a 7-8 qbs demenor in the pockect in only his second year.Also they states he has skills that montana and marino never had allready.So some of you say he is good because of his offensive line and you hail aikmen and montana but remember and ask yourself what did they do for teams when they were rookies and had no offensive line.Its time to move on and say that the greats will now recieve a bunch of new company like palmer rothelisberger and brady.I know brady is considered above all currant qbs rightnow because he has won 3 superbowls and personally i think he should be considered a great.This is a new realm for athletics and the new players are breaking old players records every year.IM open for anyone to comment to me about these thoughts..

vurbano said:
yeah right. I think the steelers are great but Palmer was on his way to shredding them apart yet again on his very first pass, a big completion as I recall, when a freak accident occured. Pittsburgh is good and played a couple of really great games but I question whether they would have gotten that far if not for the Palmer injury.
========================================================

vurbano,
you have no idea what might have happened, just because they moved easily on the 1st drive does not mean the whole game would have went that way.
Steelers have been making great adjustments thruout the games.

I doubt that the Steelers would have been shredded, as you put it.

Keep in mind, Indy scored on their 1st play earlier in the year, but was unable to do much the 2nd time around.

I feel that it would have been a closer game, but I doubt the outcome would have changed.

Jimbo

vurbano said:

1. I like the steelers as I mentioned before and they may very well beat the Seahawks.
2. Palmer only got one chance to throw one pass and as I recall Palmer shredded them apart previously in the year. Dont become blinded by your fanboy enthusiasm.
3. Cincy doesnt belong in the same sentence with Pitt? You must have been in a cave December 4, 2005 when Palmer picked you apart at Heinz field no less in a must win game for Pittsburgh. I think Pitt knew there only hope of beating Cincy would be to "take out" Palmer after that.

Ypu seem to have selective memory ....
When you mentioned that the Bengals shredded the Steelers earlier in the year, were you refering to the 7 point loss 38-31 ???
Quite a thrashing :confused:

The Steelers won the other game 27-13, in a game not that close.

So, why do you think the Bengals were so much better ???

Bengals finished 11-5, steelers were 10-6 . (and still playing)

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
When you mentioned that the Bengals shredded the Steelers earlier in the year, were you refering to the 7 point loss 38-31 ???
Jimbo
WORD!

BrianMis said:
ROFLMAO!
You are one funny dude dragon. :up

i have my moments:devil:

it is the same as it was during the 70s wars with the cowgirls.

"" well the steelers wouldnt have won if rogers wifes friends favorite cousin hadnt been on the phone with her all night , he could have beat the steelers. he didnt get enough sleep, the poor boy.""

it is like the steelers never win...the other teams beat themselves, or it is the refs fault ....etc....etc.

the what ifs start like clockwork!!

well if my aunt had b*lls she'd be my uncle:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jimbos said:
Jimbo

Jimbo,
The Steelers were 11-5 as well :D The overtime loss to Jacksonville, and the upset by Baltimore cost the Steelers the AFC North title. Cincinnati is only borrowing the title for this year as the Ravens did in 2003. The title will be back were it belongs next year - in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
rjc3895 said:
Jimbo,
The Steelers were 11-5 as well :D The overtime loss to Jacksonville, and the upset by Baltimore cost the Steelers the AFC North title. Cincinnati is only borrowing the title for this year as the Ravens did in 2003. The title will be back were it belongs next year - in Pittsburgh.

You are correct, thanks for pointing that out.

So if both teams were 11-5, and each beat the other...........

How is it that Cinci is way better than the Steelers ??????
vurbano .....

Jimbo

rjc3895 said:
Jimbo,

rjc,

correct... and that is why the steelers slammed them. to put them back in their place. the afc north is PITTSBURGHS , the other teams are there to fill a schedule and to scrimmage the steelers. and by GOD , that is how we feel in the burgh. dont laugh!;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts