Rude Installer

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Do you know how I know you are not a tech?
Does it really matter? Anyone who has been a member of Satellite Guys since may of 2007 ,Knows I'm not a Tech.
Do you know how I can tell who is a shotty Technition?
The Techs who are getting offended by this topic. My guess they feel guilty. They should!

Thats something the Techs need to take up with the satellite companys, Not the customers.
If customers are supposed to pay for it, why not just say so upfront instead of after the job is installed, and the tech is standing there with a bill in hand.?

The way the satellite companys and the techs work is a joke. How many people in real life would give someone a price on an install without ever looking at the property first? Thats the first mistake!
So its the customers fault that you have to do a pole mount and dig a trench 100 feet from the house, because you quoted a price to do it, But the techs and the satellite companys didn't charge enough to do it.?
Maybe your bosses need to grow some balls and say I'm not installing your Satellite systems for this cheap anymore. Or estimates need to be done first.
But my guess is they are paying really well, Becuase your all still installing these systems.
The Tech isn't eating anything, if he is paying out of pocket, then he needs to find a new trade.
What costs are Tech putting out? Gas? Yea me too! Tools Yea again join the crowd. You aren't paying for satellite equipment,Wires or connections, So if your eating costs for something ,go back and tell your boss !

Hemi 6.1

You pretty much have it.

I would add that there is a great turnover among techs. Well motivated competent newbies get about a month of the strange management and move on. Part of the problem is the need for DTV to be able to control who and what happens at a customer's house. Nobody wants rude, incompetent newbies overcharging for unneeded and poorly done service. The thinking is that employees are so expensive that contractors should be able to handle a simple installation.

It hasn't been working that way. DTV probably kicks enough money out the door to get a competent installation but where the money goes is a topic for elsewhere.

I don't dispute anything you have said. I don't have an answer other than to join the ranks of former installers. I pick up great tech tips here on the new SWM and Ka/Ku equipment but haven't seen a bankable installation gig in over a year.

And you are correct that none of this should be the concern of any DTV customer. But there are instances ( don't know how common) where an installer has placed a mechanic's lien on a customers home because the money for the installation has not reached the installer.

Joe

It reads to me in the OP that the tech was just trying to be helpful. Just about every customer I get sent to doesn't know what they ordered and I help them get what they need and will be happy with. Often I even help the customer save money. For instance I've had many customers who were set up for HD and they had no plans to get HD TV's. I set them up with SD and that saves on the HD programming.

Like To lazy to take a ladder off his truck,

That's fine as long as you aren't one of those dipsh*ts who wants a Slimline on the peak of their 3 story house, 60 feet up because it "looks cool up there" or you think it will get "better signal" or you just think it's neat to have a dish that doubles as an aviation hazard. :mad:

That's fine as long as you aren't one of those dipsh*ts who wants a Slimline on the peak of their 3 story house, 60 feet up because it "looks cool up there" or you think it will get "better signal" or you just think it's neat to have a dish that doubles as an aviation hazard. :mad:
Thats where the sight supervisor wanted to put it, 30 feet up.
Not 60 feet because 1 story is 10 feet not 20 feet.:p And most houses are 8 feet per story not 10, So if you don't want to put up a satellite dish 24 feet up , Then You should find another Trade.

Thats where the sight supervisor wanted to put it, 30 feet up.
Not 60 feet because 1 story is 10 feet not 20 feet.:p And most houses are 8 feet per story not 10, So if you don't want to put up a satellite dish 24 feet up , Then You should find another Trade.

I was being sarcastic when I said 60'. However, I've actually been to customer's houses who were dead serious when they asked my to put a dish on the highest spot possible on a 3 story house with an incredibly pitched roof. I've politely reminded them that If I can't reach it with a 28' ladder or can't access the roof safely, it's not going there. And no, I have no problem putting dishes 24' up. Especially if I can do it from the roof. But I'm not a damn roofer, and I'm not going to risk my life putting it somewhere crazy. It's going in the most sensible spot taking into account safety, structural soundness, wind load, THEN aesthetics.

Thats something the Techs need to take up with the satellite companys, Not the customers.
If customers are supposed to pay for it, why not just say so upfront instead of after the job is installed, and the tech is standing there with a bill in hand.?

The way the satellite companys and the techs work is a joke. How many people in real life would give someone a price on an install without ever looking at the property first? Thats the first mistake!
So its the customers fault that you have to do a pole mount and dig a trench 100 feet from the house, because you quoted a price to do it, But the techs and the satellite companys didn't charge enough to do it.?
Maybe your bosses need to grow some balls and say I'm not installing your Satellite systems for this cheap anymore. Or estimates need to be done first.
But my guess is they are paying really well, Becuase your all still installing these systems.
The Tech isn't eating anything, if he is paying out of pocket, then he needs to find a new trade.
What costs are Tech putting out? Gas? Yea me too! Tools Yea again join the crowd. You aren't paying for satellite equipment,Wires or connections, So if your eating costs for something ,go back and tell your boss !

Hemi again we cover this.

The SATELLITE industy is not the home building industry.

The satellite providers both have a "FREE" standard installation. Both of them clearly state what a "FREE" standard installation includes.

The companies that do satellite installations for the providers, agree to a payment based on the "FREE" standard installation requirement. So they basically say we will do this work for this payment.

The problem is that customers only hear the word free.

When a tech shows up and the scope of work needed to complete the install is beyond the "FREE", the tech is supposed to explaine those extra costs to the customer before they begin the work. I nor probably any other tech has showed up at the door of a customer after the work is done, with a bill in hand saying this is the amount owed for your install. We all know the the customer would tell you to take a hike.

The problem is that the customers that refuse to accept the fact that not everything is free. When this happens they call the providers complaining that they have to pay, or they refuse to let the install happen. This is when the install companies fold and agree to do work for nothing just to keep the providers happy, or they demand that techs eat costs that they were not contracted to do.

But my guess is they are paying really well, Becuase your all still installing these systems.!

What do you consider paying really well? I don't know any techs that are living in $600,000.00 houses, as you claim to live in. I would say most of them work real hard to make an honest living. None of them are getting rich!

There are many contractors that do installations. Many times they are forced into giving things away. YES we DO have to pay for wire, connections, and sometimes we are even charged for equipment. Why would we do it? Because we know there is only some much you can refuse, before the company will quit using you.

This would all be solved by the simple change in the way systems are sold. Stop using the word FREE.

Techs in my area get paid 60.00 for a HD upgrade. It actually costs them money to do them, and they look for any reason to skip them. Customers don't know or care that this is a suncontractor or that this sub is being forced to do these to keep working. Me I LOVE A TREE ANYWHERE NEAR cause I'm line of sighting it! Everyone wants everything for free well there aint no free lunch. Wave that 20 when he gets there and he may just be a bit nicer.

Techs in my area get paid 60.00 for a HD upgrade. It actually costs them money to do them, and they look for any reason to skip them. Customers don't know or care that this is a suncontractor or that this sub is being forced to do these to keep working. Me I LOVE A TREE ANYWHERE NEAR cause I'm line of sighting it! Everyone wants everything for free well there aint no free lunch. Wave that 20 when he gets there and he may just be a bit nicer.

This is an obvious attempt to start crap. I would ignore this post.

So are the installs free or not?
Is the hair cut $12 or not?
Isn't the pizza supposed to be free delivery?
Do I tip for one refill of water at a buffet?

Anyone that shows up and does their job, gets what the job pays or should.
As soon as the attitude of "I have a right to a tip" creeps in to your work, the customer service suffers. The most tips go to those that work for a tip but don't expect it.

I've been on this site for over a year and made one post and you think I'm trying to start crap. I have personally been responsible for over 10000 dtv installations. I have 8 men who work from morning till night 7 days a week including holidays because dtv will cancel my contract if I don't force MY employees to miss the weekends and holidays with their families. I know more about this business than you and when I tell you the truth you say I'm trying to start crap.
It costs my employees money to do an upgrade EVERY time, and they DO avoid them at ALL costs. If they could walk away from every one without losing their jobs you would NEVER be upgraded.
So when you do get an upgrade FREE from DTV be gratefull that you don't have to go back to your cable company for their 40 channels of lousy HD.

I've been on this site for over a year and made one post and you think I'm trying to start crap. I have personally been responsible for over 10000 dtv installations. I have 8 men who work from morning till night 7 days a week including holidays because dtv will cancel my contract if I don't force MY employees to miss the weekends and holidays with their families. I know more about this business than you and when I tell you the truth you say I'm trying to start crap.
It costs my employees money to do an upgrade EVERY time, and they DO avoid them at ALL costs. If they could walk away from every one without losing their jobs you would NEVER be upgraded.
So when you do get an upgrade FREE from DTV be gratefull that you don't have to go back to your cable company for their 40 channels of lousy HD.

So, what took you over a year to speak up? Just wondering, because I can't go a day here without commenting on something.

I did a pre-call a few hours ago for a DirecTV job I was going to install tomorrow. It was a 4 room install with a basic dish and 4 basic receivers. Well it's now on hold untill she(the customer) calls me back and reschedules because she has 12, yes 12 rooms in the house she wants TV's in with only 4 being hooked up to DirecTV. Why? Because DirecTV will only do up to 4 rooms FREE on a new install. She was told that I would pre-wire the other 8 TV's for DirecTV, JUST IN CASE she decided to get the service on more TV's down the road. When I told her that was not the case, that I had to pay for ALL OF MY SUPPLIES including the wire, the fittings, the wall plates, etc., and I normally charge $75-$125 per line depending what needs to be done, she had a sh*t fit. "I am gonna have to think about whether or not I even want the service or not. That's not what I was told!". So contrary to popular belief, if you are a HSP Tech, most of your supplies are paid for but not all. If you are a contractor, NONE of your supplies are paid for.

HEMI, you say you build houses? If a customer said "the developer promised me a free addition", would you build it for free, or would you tell the customer to pay for it? What if you were told that you would lose your contract and never build again, then what? would you be in a good mood? Didn't think so. If you do build houses for a living you know exactly how a customer can nickel and dime you to death. If a customer wants anything other than what is agreed upon, you charge them right? So why shouldn't we?:confused:

You want to explain how you lose money on an upgrade? Because our contract does not pay $60.00 for upgrades, and we don't lose money on them, don't make alot but don't lose either.

Want to tell me how you know more about this business than I do. Where is your proof that you know more than I. Tell you what, I have been a contractor for Dish. I have run a contracting crew for Dish. I have worked for and RSP as an FSM and a QAS. I now run a contracting crew for Direct and Dish. I also am the only satellite tech that several high end audio Video companys in our area will use. I have as many techs under my watch as you do, and plan to have several more soon. I also do retail sales for both providers. About the only thing I have not done is work for either provider directly, and I doubt I ever will. Plus I have several more posts than you do... :)

I wil stand by my last post in this thread. You come in here and posted an inflamatory post to start crap, or look really stupid.

HEMI, you say you build houses? If a customer said "the developer promised me a free addition", would you build it for free, or would you tell the customer to pay for it? What if you were told that you would lose your contract and never build again, then what? would you be in a good mood? Didn't think so. If you do build houses for a living you know exactly how a customer can nickel and dime you to death. If a customer wants anything other than what is agreed upon, you charge them right? So why shouldn't we?:confused:
Sorry I have contracts for every job. It protects me and the customer., I look at every job I get ,Big or small. I get Prints for the houses as well , and I Bid My price.
I Charge for whats in my contract, and a Customer Reads and Signs BEFORE work begins. Again if you don't do business this way then go talk to your boss. Not me! If I happen to do something outside of my contract, Thats on me. Once the contract is signed, Thats that. If they want an addtion, thats a whole other contract. There is 1 guy over me at a time, The homeowner or the Bank. Satellite TV installers are the ones that run their companys ass backwards. Atleast an auto machanic gives estimates up front. Ateast cably companys tells you what they charge, and whats free. D* and E* are running around claiming free

I don't understand with such a knowledgeable group of customers, why they don't do the install themselves. That would be perfect.

Sorry I have contracts for every job. It protects me and the customer., I look at every job I get ,Big or small. I get Prints for the houses as well , and I Bid My price.
I Charge for whats in my contract, and a Customer Reads and Signs BEFORE work begins. Again if you don't do business this way then go talk to your boss. Not me! If I happen to do something outside of my contract, Thats on me. Once the contract is signed, Thats that. If they want an addition, thats a whole other contract. There is 1 guy over me at a time, The homeowner or the Bank. Satellite TV installers are the ones that run their company's ass back wards. At least an auto mechanic gives estimates up front. Attest cable company's tells you what they charge, and whats free. D* and E* are running around claiming free

Its not the installers. Installers are only slaves to the wage, which is whatever they pay. You have no idea. Our rates can change at any time and for any reason. The job thats started today for $70 could only be paid $50 by the time the check gets written.

The thing about forums is sometimes people just like to rant, regardless of what sense it makes. Its like an endless inscription on a gravestone, taking up space.

Its not the installers. Installers are only slaves to the wage, which is whatever they pay. You have no idea. Our rates can change at any time and for any reason. The job thats started today for $70 could only be paid $50 by the time the check gets written.

The thing about forums is sometimes people just like to rant, regardless of what sense it makes. Its like an endless inscription on a gravestone, taking up space.
Again ,If your boss isn't giving you your fair share, Take it up with Him, Don't pass it along to the customer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.