Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Here is a SatelliteGuys Rumor that I just got in from a source that I trust.

The rumor is this...

DirecTV is getting ready to roll out software updates to its High Defition Receivers, this update will shut off the OTA tuners in the receivers when a customer cancels DirecTV service.

I am told that if a customer tries watching an OTA channel they will see a "Service Not Active" (750) message on their screen.

I can see this causing some uproar. I guess DirecTV is trying to keep people from buying their receivers just to use them as cheap OTA tuners.

More as we know it.

Black mail from Directv; stay with Us or lose your ota stations.
Before it was extortion, if they suspected someone was hacking or stealing Directv service , you would get a letter demanding $3500.00 or go to court and face a lawsuit. Great going Directv. It makes the Dish audit team sound kinda of tame now in comparision.:rolleyes:

Scott Greczkowski said:
Here is a SatelliteGuys Rumor that I just got in from a source that I trust.

The rumor is this...

DirecTV is getting ready to roll out software updates to its High Defition Receivers, this update will shut off the OTA tuners in the receivers when a customer cancels DirecTV service.

I am told that if a customer tries watching an OTA channel they will see a "Service Not Active" (750) message on their screen.

I can see this causing some uproar. I guess DirecTV is trying to keep people from buying their receivers just to use them as cheap OTA tuners.

More as we know it.

This could only work if the receiver is still active, or at least connected to the dish, yes? If so, and I cancelled, I would IMMEDIATELY disconnect from the dish.

Chip

David D. said:
I suggest FIRST disconnect the dish, then call and cancel.

Good point, why give them any time at all to F* you.

Chip

It might be nice, not to say reponsible, to at least attempt to get some official DirecTV reponse to such a rumor before it gets posted and considered in any way factual.

I would suggest that delaying the original post until tomorrow morning, when at least a DirecTV spokesman would be available, might have been a more prudent course of action.

What if ???

What if the new software is designed to automatically disable the OTA tuner unless it receives a keep-alive signal periodically, say once a week or so?

Actually, I think this would be illegal if you bought the receiver yourself from a retailer. I agree that we need confirmation from DTV before this goes too far.

From what I understand, D* has always maintained that their STB's are for DirecTV service. Not necessarily only, just primarily. I know the whole "Well, I bought it, so I can use it anyway I want!!" argument comes in. I don't think it could be illegal for D* to do this, cause they made the equipment. I would think more will come out about this.

Beavis said:
From what I understand, D* has always maintained that their STB's are for DirecTV service. Not necessarily only, just primarily. I know the whole "Well, I bought it, so I can use it anyway I want!!" argument comes in. I don't think it could be illegal for D* to do this, cause they made the equipment. I would think more will come out about this.
Well I have a TV made by RCA, not D*, so it is without a doubt not legal, as the
TV set with a authorized licensed by D* built in receiver would be a lawsuit
target w/o a doubt. My built in D* receiver, is also capable of tuning in digital
OTA stations w/o a D* connection, so any attempt at this would result in a instant
class action lawsuit, as there are plenty of people who have also have no set-top
box because of a built-in authorized D* receiver.:mad:

Beavis said:
Well I understand that DTV subsidizes the cost of the receiver and that is why a 2yr comittment is required and rightfully so. Very well, but if a customer buys the receiver and continues with DTV for 3 or 4 years then that legal part of the contract is no longer valid. The receiver belongs to the customer free and clear.
It is something like if you finance a new car from the bank you know going into it that the bank can even reposess the car if you don't live up to the contract. But once you make the last payment the car is yours free and clear and at that point it would be illegal for the bank to even try to disable the car.
With all of the greedy lawyers just looking for a class action lawsuit to retire off of I think this would end up in court very quickly. Look at how fast they are lining up to sue Sony over the so called copy protection software they were installing on users computers without consent. Even the state attorneys general are clamoring to get in on that suit.

gentlemen,
sorry to tell you this, i have 8 user manuals here and they all state:
"DIRECTV programming is sold separately and independently of DIRECTV system hardware. a valid programming subscription is required to operate DIRECTV system hardware"
when you signed up for the service did you read the contract? it is there also. you cancel DIRECTV, the IRD goes down , and no programming. the input from the antenna WILL still pass the signal thru, but your tv will have to do the HD thing.
rupert isnt dolan, dont ever forget that!!!

raoul5788 said:
This could only work if the receiver is still active, or at least connected to the dish, yes? If so, and I cancelled, I would IMMEDIATELY disconnect from the dish.
Chip

Even if the receiver is disconnected upon deactivation it will eventually lose its programming.

Tate Satellites said:
Even if the receiver is disconnected upon deactivation it will eventually lose its programming.

Tate Satellites,
raoul5788 was refering to the OTA tuner not D*'s tuner, yes D* tuner would go down apon cancelation of service, but the OTA portion should continue to work.

I have an older D* receiver that I use for OTA reception on a TV that is not used often and not connected to my D* service, but that is an older HD unit, I would not besuprised that if this does become true , that only the receivers with D* label on them would be affected.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Tate Satellites,
raoul5788 was refering to the OTA tuner not D*'s tuner, yes D* tuner would go down apon cancelation of service, but the OTA portion should continue to work.
I have an older D* receiver that I use for OTA reception on a TV that is not used often and not connected to my D* service, but that is an older HD unit, I would not besuprised that if this does become true , that only the receivers with D* label on them would be affected.
Jimbo

What I meant was if the receiver does not have any programming then you will get the message 750 as Scott said earlier.

And if you keep the receiver unplugged while you disconnect services eventrally when the receiver deactivates itself you will lose your OTA and get the message.

Well the new H10 and H20 are $200 with a rebate of $200 so I can see disconnecting the ability to receive OTA on those receivers unless they are active. But they also come with a two year contract so that should give Directv some protection. I think Scott should have confirmed the action before postig the rumor.

I've also heard that they want todo this as well but I've been talking to a few friends (who are business lawyers) and the key to this whole issue is that the customer owns the box and the manual does state that OTA reception would still work without DirecTV service. Because the manual says this and the customer owns the box they cannot disable this ability legally. Now if they make new boxes that clearly say in the manual that OTA service will not work without DirecTV service subscription than that is another story. They could do this for all future boxes but the current ones can lead to a class action lawsuit because the manual does state that OTA reception will work without DirecTV service.

I've also looked at my Zenith SAT-520 manual and it does clearly say that OTA will work without DirecTV service. I will be calling a few people at DirecTV and first finding out the specific plans for this upgrade. Once I find out the specific plans I would advise them of their risk for class action suits because its very hard to go against a user manual because that kindof thing can't be changed just for the heck of it.

This may take a while to get back on because of the amount of people I must contact and the holidays might slow this process up as well.

I have not received any comment from DirecTV on this yet, but have gotten PM's from a few DirecTV CSR's who said they were told about this last week.

Remember however, this is labeled as a rumor, please do not consider it official until we get official word.

If this turns out to be true, as in the past there will be exceptions for equipment older than (some date ) you will not be affected, for the rest which is probably stated in your contract no Direct service the box is a brick!!
From a personal standpoint I don't like it but from a business standpoint!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv Service

Questions for those who have already upgraded to Mpeg 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)