Rusted LNB Arm

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

I have a rusted LNB arm that has separated from the LNBF.
Any repairs suggestions are welcome.
Please note I am not a welder nor do I have the skills.
Thanks in advance.

John
55554939-6389-451A-AD2D-1B06296951BF.jpeg
55554939-6389-451A-AD2D-1B06296951BF.jpeg

FTA4PA,

I dont want to replace the entire arm if I don’t have to, just the damaged section.
Thanks for your reply.

John

A piece of metal conduit of similar size from Lowes or Home Depot?
Chances are that a piece of conduit might be at least as long as the entire feed support.
Your replacement will be much stronger and less likely to crumble from corrosion if you can remove existing feed arm and try to duplicate the entire length, with similar bends. And you will need to use a typical 1/4 inch drill bit to drill holes to match existing lengths. Borrow a vise and a rubber hammer, along with a drill and above bit, and give it a try. We all had to learn how to be mechanical during our younger years, and it is good experience to do it yourself, so that you can minimize paying a craftsman's fee for similar work in the future. Tubing cutters make quicker and more accurate cuts than a hacksaw, and are suggested when you are ready to cut the conduit to length. Be brave! You will thank yourself later. Added note: use an existing unbroken feed arm to determine an accurate length.

Mike,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.
I’ve had to do varying amounts of “dish work” in the 33 years that I’ve owned a BUD. However, this is the first time I’ve encountered this problem.
I bought this dish from Tek2000 about 3 years ago and was aware it was a Chinese product, but never thought I’d encounter this problem. Not to be prejudiced, but maybe its true about what they say about products from China being cheaply made. This arm really rusted badly.
My other dishes a Radio Shack 9 footer and a 7.5 KTI showed only very minor rust in all the years I owned them.
Oh well just another issue to add to my “Johnny Do” list.

John

I'd get some conduit and duplicate a good arm. Grab a spray can of etching primer and spray inside the new tube before you smash the ends shut. Spray enough to let it pool up and slosh it around inside. A vice would be nice. Or a couple of boards and a hammer to sandwich it in. Probably check for corrosion on the other arms too. Good 'ole tek!
Shouldn't be too difficult.

Reactions: Titanium and JFOK
JFOK I'd be tempted to find some metal tubing that the ID is slightly larger than the rusted one OD, cut a length of it, and then sleeve it over the rusted pieces on each end. If you do that, then it should be easy to figure how to fix them together. Crimp? drill holes and bolt?

Reactions: JFOK
primestar31,

That was an idea I was toying with, but Arlo’s and Mike’s suggestions are also under consideration. The other arms look fine. Last fall I noticed some minor rust on that arm and sprayed it with a rust inhibitor, apparently it wasn’t enough.😉
Thanks for replying.

John

Reactions: primestar31
I would almost guarantee that the others aren't far off from rotting through.
Especially if there are no weep holes drilled at the lowest spot on them.
EMT conduit is engineered for outdoor use and is thin walled but rigid enough to just fabricate new arms.
Sleeving them would be okay if you wanted to play around with scalar distancing. Grab some stainless hardware where dissimilar metals meet while you're at it. Good 'ole tek. Lol!

Reactions: JFOK