S234 12-13-12

Already noticed that the new feature informing us about "x amount of unwatched recordings" isn't displaying the correct amount on my Hopper. I have watched every episode of American Horror Story: Asylum except for this weeks yet my Hopper is telling me I have 4 unwatched episodes.

I wonder if it's displaying how many episodes haven't been watched by my other Hopper ?

I think you must watch the program completely. If you manually stop (e.g., during the credits), the program is still counted as "unwatched".

Just the big 4.

I wonder if it's just the easiest way to capitalize on existing code, a KISS principle decision, or a hardware limitation on how many demux streams the box can handle.
I think it's the latter. One tuner in the Hopper can unravel at most 4 streams. For PTAT, these streams are sent to the DVR. For this new way to view big 4 stations, one of those 4 streams is routed to a decoder in the Hopper or an attached Joey. This could technically work with ANY 4 streams on ANY transponder but trying to explain to customers why it doesn't always work is justification enough to limit this to "the big 4".

I have had this since getting my Hopper in July. Sometimes it takes as long as 5 seconds for the picture and sound to come on. Usually about 3 seconds. I thought it was normal. It is even worse on the Joey.

Switching between football games. The audio and picture delay really sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I wonder if this is going to be another one of those where it gets to S239 before everyone gets it. Not that I care its good they work the bugs out first on just a few people. I sure don't want them blowing up my hoppers. As much as I've complained about not getting the newest software in the past I've decided its a gift not to be dish's beta test person, my household would probably loose their minds if our hoppers stopped working correctly.

Last edited:
Switching between football games. The audio and picture delay really sucks.

One thing you can do to reduce/eliminate the delay is to use SWAP rather than previous channel. The second decoder is always active with its own 1-hour buffer on Hopper and SWAP works even if PIP is not displaying two pictures. Sling takes over the second decoder however and of course this only works on Hopper since Joeys only have one decoder (no PIP).

Using swap also allows you to skip back after switching to the other channel. I will often pause a program, swap to the other decoder and watch that channel for a while. When I swap back, it's still paused at the point I left it.

One thing you can do to reduce/eliminate the delay is to use SWAP rather than previous channel. The second decoder is always active with its own 1-hour buffer on Hopper and SWAP works even if PIP is not displaying two pictures. Sling takes over the second decoder however and of course this only works on Hopper since Joeys only have one decoder (no PIP).

Using swap also allows you to skip back after switching to the other channel. I will often pause a program, swap to the other decoder and watch that channel for a while. When I swap back, it's still paused at the point I left it.

Thanks for the tip. It helps with the video delay, but not for the audio.

Thanks for the tip. It helps with the video delay, but not for the audio.

I don't see any significant audio delay when using SWAP but based on your comment I did some testing and found something interesting:

If the Audio decoder mode is set to PCM Only, the delay in audio returning when swapping is much longer: less than 1 second for Dolby/PCM; 2.5 seconds for PCM Only. I'm using audio over HDMI in my system. PCM Only also seems to increase the time for video and audio to return when changing channels on the same tuner.

I'm using audio over HDMI in my system. Optical out may be different.

The other obvious issue with PCM Only is you only get stereo sound (no 5.1).

I don't see any significant audio delay when using SWAP but based on your comment I did some testing and found something interesting:

If the Audio decoder mode is set to PCM Only, the delay in audio returning when swapping is much longer: less than 1 second for Dolby/PCM; 2.5 seconds for PCM Only. I'm using audio over HDMI in my system. PCM Only also seems to increase the time for video and audio to return when changing channels on the same tuner.

I'm using audio over HDMI in my system. Optical out may be different.

The other obvious issue with PCM Only is you only get stereo sound (no 5.1).

Changed audio output from PCM only to Dolby/PCM... Audio delay cured... Thanks for the info.

Forgive me if this has been addressed but I'm showing six "services in use" with 5 active and 1 available when I push the red button? It use to be 3, is this a bug or something new? I have 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.

picture in picture (PIP)

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or has had this issue but ever since I've had the hopper and the joey even on all of the updates the hopper always takes up 3 tuners with my current setup because of picture in picture and there is no way to release that tuner i've tried rebooting resetting and everything and it still shows up when I push the red button on the remote and therefore it limits me to how much I can view and record because it is taking up 3 tuners they need to figure out how to release that tuner when your not viewing picture in picture my setup is one hopper=1 tuner(currently 2 because of pip) one joey=1 tuner and I always have ptat disabled we don't use it and sometimes when I turn my hopper back on the next day it will be on a totally different channel and I have discovered that it is a channel that the joey was watching the night before please help :mad:

The PiP tuner will automatically release as needed. Nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Found a bug

-Set a timer and record a show
-Watch one of the big 4 networks so that it activates the 4 channels to 1 tuner
-Try to jump to recording by pressing Red button and scrolling to recording and press select

Notice that recording abruptly stops

So, am I just imagining it, or is my guide now staying on my custom list after the nightly update?

Mine don't always respond to play when I am fast forwarding or rewinding recordings or live tv. Battery status is still good. Noticed on my hoppers

Sent from my iPad3 using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)