S418 software for the Original Hopper

I just noticed that this update seems to have disabled the expand/collapse feature for the music channels as well as big-10. Unfortunately they are all stuck in the expanded state. "Sirius"ly annoying.

I DIDN'T get an update on my HwS yet, and the Sirius guide is still broken. So I think it's something in the EPG data instead. (Bad EPG data from Dish? Shocker!)

Well... I got the S418 update yesterday (didn't realize it) and it subsequently stopped working. After talking to support and getting a new Hopper today, it applied the update and then it stopped working too... Just a never ending "Starting Up / Reboot" loop. Suspecting then that it might have been an update issue, I did some further debugging. Then I talked with 6 different people and finally a supervisor listened... It turns out that the software update somehow made the Hopper incompatible with my surround sound receiver. When plugged in to the TV both Hoppers (old and new) work fine... The Supervisor agrees with my assessment and is forwarding the issue on to the "engineering" team. So hopefully others will see this post and report the same issue... as I would like them to fix it since it has been working fine with the same receiver for a year and a half, until now... Maybe this post will also help others not have the same headache I have now from arguing with support reps on proper debugging steps... :)

Actually the problem is that the Hopper freezes up completely and gets stuck in a reboot cycle loop when you hit reset, only when it is connected to the surround receiver. Connections are Hopper to Surround Receiver to TV via HDMI and HDMI Pass through. Digital Surround via Receiver, with audio turned off on TV.

PS: All other AV equipment connected to the surround works great and the Hoppers used to, until the update.

I'm lukewarm about the changes to on demand, while they are a little better it's no big deal. I am however puzzled why HBO On Demand gets a channel but Max On Demand doesn't get one. Encore and Starz have their own guide channels for On Demand.

for a test try menu, settings, diagnostics, HDMI-CEC turn the CEC function off and then try if it will work again when connected to your surround receiver.

I just noticed that this update seems to have disabled the expand/collapse feature for the music channels as well as big-10. Unfortunately they are all stuck in the expanded state. "Sirius"ly annoying.

I just got S418 and the SiriusXM channels are still expandable/collapsible. DISH did add all of their Holiday music channels that are not collapsible. I don't have Big10 to comment but the rest of the RSNs (PAC12, NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice) all are still expandable/collapsible. .

I fixed my Whole Home Problem somehow! This morning I unplugged the router but I noticed that it took more than a minute for the boxes to lose their DHCP assigned IP addresses. After all 4 boxes reverted to their private addresses I checked the Whole Home network and it was working properly except for the internet connection. When I plugged the router back in Whole Home continued to work properly after DHCP reassignment.

So if anyone has network problems with the system and tries to reset things give the boxes time to drop their DHCP addresses before repowering. If this ever happens again I'll try to see if a DHCP Renewal on the router fixes things.

I just got S418 and the SiriusXM channels are still expandable/collapsible. DISH did add all of their Holiday music channels that are not collapsible. I don't have Big10 to comment but the rest of the RSNs (PAC12, NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice) all are still expandable/collapsible. .

I am on S418, Hopper 2000 and the Big 10 is still collapsible in the guide.

As of this morning any movies I stream via DLNA are unwatchable because of artifacting. I always had a crystal clear picture prior to this upgrade and now today it's nearly impossible ot watch because of all the artifacts.

I am having no success with Serviio, Mezzmo, or Plex. I will try rebooting everything when I get home this afternoon, as I have never had this problem until right after getting the update. I wonder if upgrading to the new Hopper with more processing power would help...

for a test try menu, settings, diagnostics, HDMI-CEC turn the CEC function off and then try if it will work again when connected to your surround receiver.
Yep, I thought the same thing yesterday and tested that out too. No luck :(

I like the changes, especially the icon changes. Everything looks much cleaner and gives an overall much better appearance.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't care much for the appearance changes - they've basically just made all of the tiles on all of the screens smaller :-(.

One functional change that really burns my ass is that they removed the little green "amount watched" bar on the icons of all of the programs on the dvr. Now you have to arrow to each icon and open it up in order to see whether or not the program has been watched - seriously annoying for people like me who have to go into the dvr and "clean up" behind my wife to delete all of the crappy newsmagazine shows that she has watched! LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)