Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTA4PA

Satellite Guys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 13, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
Does anybody out there use a Sadoun 6' solid dish for ku reception? If so, how well do they perform for it? I'm considering putting one up that I've had stored away since last year when I started in FTA. It would be dedicated for ku reception only but I don't want to go to the trouble if it's not a good dish for it. Thanks!

Since you already have it, use it. It should work acceptably, provided of course if you use a prime focus ku lnb for it.

String it and make sure you have the panels as accurate as you can get them. If they've slipped, spend some time getting those right.

Does anybody out there use a Sadoun 6' solid dish for ku reception? If so, how well do they perform for it? I'm considering putting one up that I've had stored away since last year when I started in FTA. It would be dedicated for ku reception only but I don't want to go to the trouble if it's not a good dish for it. Thanks!
Since you posted this in the "shack" sub-forum (dedicated for non-technical matters), I feel free to comment on it in non-technical aspect.
It reminds me of an ancient question put to wise (and blind) men : How does an elephant look like?
The blind men resorted (wisely) to experiments : they attempted to touch the subject.
As they touched different parts of the animal, their reports differed widely.
Since we can not see waves coming from satellites, we are also blind to them...
But, there is a way around, we can use visible light, to see, what's going on...
For some time, I try to promote usage of small mirrors on dishes to evaluate their usefulness for satellite reception.
Let's see, what your posted question can get:
1. Member "A" answers : my 6" Sadoun works fine on Ku band.
2. Member "B" answers : my 6" Sadoun did not perform well, I do not recommend it (unknown to member "B", his dish was distorted and did not focus well)
You need to evaluate YOUR dish yourself: just get some small mirrors and attach them to the dish and direct the dish to the Sun (hopefully, the weather co-operates...)
If you get the focal spot concise and small, (resembling ping-pong , or, golf, ball), fitting to the face of ANY Ku LNBF, then, the dish is OK for Ku reception.
If you see that the focal spot is sized like an orange, then, it means, some energy from satellite will miss the Ku LNBF, but, probably, the reception is still feasible, albeit weaker quality.
In case the focal spot is an elongated bar, the dish needs braces to get the focal spot small and round.
It would be useful for all members, as a form of "legitimacy" for this experiment, to confirm, how it worked (if you take some pictures and post them).
Sylvan Goldman, inventor of shopping cart, had to hire actors to promote his invention and overcome initial resistance to it.
Hopefully, visualisation of geometry of satellite dishes with small mirrors finally gets acceptance of Satellite Guys.
Cheers, polgyver

I read a post somewhere about a guy using a 1.8 fortec with prime focus lnb for ku. It took him quite a while to get it tuned in properly, but once he did it did outperform his 1.2 offset dish. Not sure how comparable a fortec is to a sadoun as far as quality.

Sadoun dish has thicker metal, but it is petalized, so getting the panels perfectly matched before cranking down the bolts is critical. It can be done if you take your time and have a large flat pad area, such as a garage floor.

Thanks for the info and comments so far. I didn't make it clear in my starting post that the dish is still new in box so I didn't want to assemble it and experiment with focusing, etc if it wasn't a good candidate for ku. That's the reason I was looking for real world experiences from others on the forum before I started (thanks for the focusing ideas though polgyver:)). It shouldn't be a problem getting the petals lined up correctly. I have a garage and can put cardboard down so things don't get scratched. Guessing I would have to motorize it but would love to set up something like this http://www.skyvision.com/fta/multifeed.html. Since my dish is prime focus (not offset like the one on Skyvision) I'm thinking it isn't possible but correct me if I'm wrong and it can be done. Supposedly, two 6 footers could cover everything I need (72W to 125W) with the exception of a third stationary dish I would still need for 30W. Anyone have any experience using a 6' motorized dish for ku or a stationary multi-lnb setup like the one on Skyvision? Thanks!

Last edited:
Your second post provided more info, especially the link. I could not find any data about skyvision dish, but most likely this dish, as an offset dish, has L/D ratio higher, probably 0.6, and by this, the LNB bar is longer, enabling achieving 2 degree LNB spacing. Your dish focal length is 682 mm (F/D = 0.38) and probably does not allow to receive from 2 degree spaced sats, for example 97 and 99.
Thus, motorizing seems most feasible.
The size of your dish is huge, as for Ku, and LNBF will "see" only central part of this dish, but it is OK, since the outer edges would prevent the radiation from "warmer" Earth to contaminate the signal with thermal noise. So some posters say.
Cheers, polgyver

A number of years ago I got a 2 meter prime focus Fortec from Sadoun and included was a Ku mount simular the one you linked. Have not used the mount yet but might try it when my aging C/Ku LNB finally dies. You may want to check your box to see if one was included with your dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts