Samsung Omnia Verizon

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
So, after three years, I decided I had reached my limit with the Palm OS Treo - I wanted an iPhone, but am on a Verizon contract, and the switch to AT&T was just not happening, so I mulled over my alternatives. In December I played with a Blackberry Storm (yech!) and a Samsung Omnia i900; the new phone that Verizon just got. While it did not have a qwerty keyboard, I was impressed.

And it stayed in the back of my mind as an alternative... last week I decided to take advantage of my wife's "new every 2" discount (she is happy with her treo, and does not want a new phone), so I applied it to my line, and took the leap to the Omnia.

after a week, I must say I really love this phone. It is light; has basically the same footprint as my ipod touch, and has a ton of great features including:

1) a 5MP camera, which has very good software, includes multiple photo settings, includes a flash, and can take video at 640x480, and at two lower settings as well.

2) An FM radio - haven't tried it yet.

3) A GPS receiver that can work with google maps [corrected: Verizon has not unlocked this yet, so its still a future enhancement... Thanks stuart ]

4) Windows Mobile 6.1 - ok, this isn't a "great feature," but its the first time I have used the old "pocket pc" OS since having a compaq ipaq years ago - and unlike 7 years ago, I was very impressed with how smooth the OS has become. Plus it includes Word, Powerpoint, One Note, and Excel. and Active Sync seems so much better than it was.

5) 8Gb of internal memory, with the ability to expand with up to a 16gb microsdhc card. (I put a 8gb card in it, so I have 16GB of storage).

6) the touch keyboard is easy to use, one I learned to turn off the xt9 auto-suggest features (which are horrible), but the phone has the ability, like the iPhone, to reorient to all four orientations - and in a landscape mode, the keyboard is very big and easy enough to use with the fingers. However, the device has a stylus as well - and I find that I use the stylus all the time. Makes it much less error prone, and even though the stylus doesn't slide into the device, and hangs from the side (which is weird), it is functional.

7) speed. The 600+MHZ ARM processor is generally zippy, and the EVDO broadband seems to be quite good. It supports EVDO Rev. A, which I haven't been able to get (or if I do, I am not sure, as I haven't noticed any distinction between the two.

8) Internet - includes IE and Opera. I like IE better. Not sure why, but Opera has a tendency to shrink a web page to view it, making it necessary to zoom in. IE has worked great.

9) Messaging - which is Outlook Mobile, works great with gmail and with my university's imap account. Set it up very quickly, and very happy with it. The neat thing is both email accounts and text messaging are accommodated by the one application.

10) Multimedia and Music. I was able to easily sync some stuff from Windows Media Player, and today took a m4a file from itunes and dragged it to the external storage, and the media player played it without issue. I also installed the Audible player, and it works great.

I really like that the phone's speaker can be used for music/video/audible... and it sounds clear. Of course, I suspect it kills battery, but it works.

Ok, those are the positives. The negatives:

1) the screen is very sensitive with the stylus - and I think easily scratchable. I immediately went out and got a Zagg invisible shield. For $20 its an essential add-on. And with it, the rubberized screen protector really makes it un-scratchable. So not really a negative, just a wise move.

2) Windows Mobile 6.1 still looks largely like the Pocket PC OS of years past. Its functional, just not fun. Samsung includes a menu program that makes for a decent alternative, but its still not great. Maybe the forthcoming WM 6.5 will have some improvements.

3) No native Facebook application. Sorry but I use FB almost as much as SatelliteGuys. It should have an application. (Its coming in WM6.5, but come on Microsoft).

4) No gmail app -- well there is an app, but it requires a java client running, and is difficult to install.

5) Samsung at a slidable qwerty keyboard like the way overpriced HTC Pro, and this would be the iPhone killer.

In the end, if you can't have an iphone - this is a very cool phone. It is definitely the best that Verizon has out there. And I am very happy with my choice. It has made my cell phone fun. I love it.

Last edited:
just a correction mike, the gps dosent work with google maps, now if youo would have got the HTC you could have opened the gps to work with google maps.

just a correction mike, the gps dosent work with google maps, now if youo would have got the HTC you could have opened the gps to work with google maps.

Yeah, for $250 more I could have gotten the HTC. I don't think so. The 2-yr price of the HTC Pro is $349. Way too high. And the reviews all say that hte HTC Pro is sluggish compared with the Omnia.

But to be honest, I haven't tried it. But the what I have read from several sites suggests that GPS does work with Google Maps, and can also work with Tom Tom 7.

In the week I have had it, I have not gotten to play with the GPS features yet.

I wish it did work with google maps, and sadly the omnia is one they havent cracked yet they are saying the gps can only work as AGPS not gps....but we will see verizon is suppose to unlock gps for the omnia in the first half of 09, lets see if they hold true to their word.

I wish it did work with google maps, and sadly the omnia is one they havent cracked yet they are saying the gps can only work as AGPS not gps....but we will see verizon is suppose to unlock gps for the omnia in the first half of 09, lets see if they hold true to their word.

To be honest, its still not a deal breaker on the phone. I still say the Omnia is a great device for the 9 other reasons that I cited.

yep I agree mike, I like the omnia, have you loaded spbshell on it? I did and loved the customization it offered!

We need to change your username from Stuart628 to cellphoneguy since you have owned more phones than anyone else I know. :D

I have not load spbshell, was thinking about it, but currently using the Samsung today plug-in in conjunction with the Samsung menu. Been seeking out good Win Mobile apps for touch-smartphones.

I should create a thread just for people to make Win Mobile app suggestions. Its the hardest part of leaving Palm OS - I knew all the apps. (And wish that G5X would come out with a shell like their Palm OS ultimate phone. I have to admit, that was a great tool, and I still miss its simplicity).

We need to change your username from Stuart628 to cellphoneguy since you have owned more phones than anyone else I know. :D

I have not load spbshell, was thinking about it, but currently using the Samsung today plug-in in conjunction with the Samsung menu. Been seeking out good Win Mobile apps for touch-smartphones.

I should create a thread just for people to make Win Mobile app suggestions. Its the hardest part of leaving Palm OS - I knew all the apps. (And wish that G5X would come out with a shell like their Palm OS ultimate phone. I have to admit, that was a great tool, and I still miss its simplicity).

you have no idea the half of it, I get a new phone about every two weeks, lol, I love to try different things out, the only phone i Havent switched is the iphone for work, but that is coming to an end this week as we are going all verizon and have worked out some good deals as far as just using our personal phones :) but yeah I agree a winmo app thread would be great...and yes I am cellphoneguy, the local verizon guy wants me to come into his sales meeting and tell his employees whats coming up for the rest of this year ( I know more about verizon then he would ever dream of! lol)

I dont know, but whats the fun in not putting unofficial roms on your phone :) I actually read through a little of the thread and most people are reporting success, with some having dificulties.

It has been several years since I owned a phone that I didn't burn new ROMs to on a very regular basis, and I've never once had a problem. As long as you take you time and read instructions, you'll be fine.

It has been several years since I owned a phone that I didn't burn new ROMs to on a very regular basis, and I've never once had a problem. As long as you take you time and read instructions, you'll be fine.

Ok, I'll give it a try - after I finish my taxes this weekend. :)

Just wen to the thread, and they GPS still isn't working. Hmmm... I thought one of the big points of the rom was to unlock it.

Got the phone, wish there was a way to do things with the memory. Not much on the main memory and fills up fast. No way to get move the use of memory like for mms and messaging. But over all it is a good phone.

Yeah, I do not understand why the main memory is so limited, since Verizon provides 8GB of "storage" built in. And when I add in my 8GB sdhc card, I am up to 16GB.

The default messaging app can store attachments in "storage" but you are right there does not seem to be a way to move messages outside of main memory. Not sure why.

The default messaging app can store attachments in "storage" but you are right there does not seem to be a way to move messages outside of main memory.
You can't do this through the GUI, but it takes only a couple minor registry changes to keep messages and attachments in 'My Storage'. The only issue is that WM5 and WM6 use somewhat different registry structures to specify the default directories, and many of the threads I found seemed contradictory.

Three different spots in the registry were mentioned:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MAPI
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings
Here's the keys you need to change (or add, if they don't already exist):
Key: PropertyPath Value: \My Storage\Messaging
Key: AttachPath Value: \My Storage\Messaging\Attachments
Obviously, you can specify whatever paths you like. I'm not 100% sure which of the three registry locations actually did the trick, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to simply add the two new string values into each location! :D

I have a personal hosted MS Exchange email account (nirvana if you want synchronized email, contacts, calendar, etc. on all your mobile and desktop computers, with built-in backups). So I just wiped out the old directories; created the new ones; changed the registry; and did a soft-reset on my Omnia. Within minutes, Exchange had re-synced all my contents from the host and I was done. This setup has been working perfectly ever since.

BTW, MS says the reason they don't provide a GUI for this change is that removable storage cards aren't as reliable as main storage - eg, if you pull the card out while the mail files are still open, you may end up with corrupted files. But since the Omnia's 'My Storage' is built-in, I wasn't really concerned.

Hope this helps!
Rob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)