Samsung Smart TVs get a major facelift for 2015, now run on Tizen

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Samsung is turning to Tizen to power its smart TVs. According to an official statement issued by the company today, all Samsung smart TVs will now run on Tizen, an 0pen-source, Linux-based operating system (OS) developed and supported primarily by Samsung and Intel. Samsung’s actions have indicated it hopes Tizen might one day relieve its reliance on Android, but since the OS fist appeared in 2012, it’s been slow to catch on. After continual delays on Tizen-based phones and an uncertain future for Tizen-based smartwatches, this move is one of Samsung’s most significant milestones for the fledgling OS thus far.

The switch to Tizen might not seem momentous in the grand scheme of things, but considering Samsung’s Smart TV platform is arguably the most comprehensive and popular on the market, making this switch is a big deal. Samsung smart TVs boast more apps than any other platform, and that means that developers everywhere are going to have to modify their apps to work on the new OS. Fortunately, it appears the process will be mostly painless, as Samsung offers a guide for adapting existing apps to work on Tizen.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/samsung-smart-tv-2015-facelift-tizen/

This sounds similar to the Ford MyFord Touch (MFT) situation. New 2016 vehicles will get Sync 3 based on QNX, but due to hardware differences, the current MFT owners will get bug fixes only, and no new features.

After all, that's how they sell you a new TV!

I've got a UN55F8000 that is less than 12 months old. I don't expect it will get updated to Tizen but I sure hope they keep issuing updates to the old OS for a while.

This sounds similar to the Ford MyFord Touch (MFT) situation. New 2016 vehicles will get Sync 3 based on QNX, but due to hardware differences, the current MFT owners will get bug fixes only, and no new features.

Thats about how they sell anything electronic anymore!

I wonder when they will release the software update for 2014 models to get this? I recently updated my 8550 and now my RVU seems to be much slower than what it was before the update.
This is a question I will ask at CES but I am under the impression this will not go to the 2014 sets.

I got an 8550 as well and I love it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

This is a question I will ask at CES but I am under the impression this will not go to the 2014 sets.

I got an 8550 as well and I love it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

From their press release it sounds like EVERYTHING will get it. Even older models. People also forget that they made the 2014 models upgradeable and future proofed. Otherwise they wouldn't have announced the upgradability via evolution kits. I dont see any reason why they couldn't roll it out to this years 4k models as I would imagine not to much as changed with the hardware other than maybe faster processors, but the quad core that's already in the tv should be good enough to handle the version of linux that they are rolling out.

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)