San Antonio, Texas

san antonio

Todays service call,

To fix OTA channels , welll i guess I have asked too much of voom. I have 3 STB's from Voom. and I and 2 install companys have not been able to get my OTA channels to work on all 3 stb's, having the OTA signal going throgh 1-multiswitch and 3 diplexers caused to much bleed off of signal even with my 26db amp. So i had Advanced satilite (A+outfit) run a cable direct from My BIG OTA antenn (supplied by VOOM)(helped by a 26db radioshackamp) to the back of my Liv room Motorola STB, bypassing multiswitch and diplexers. and wallah, all channels antennaweb said i should get, NBC, CBS 2 channels,PBS 2 channels, ABC, FOX, WB farthest from me at 33 miles is lil fuzzy but. ok and spanish networks KWEX 2-channels, KVDA.
advanced satillite has suggested to run a new extra cable to each bed room for OTA, they said they would come back out after getting it approved. VOOM and I agreed to make that service call on the same day as when they install a 24 inch dish to help with the cloud-rain fade. my locals in bedroom are not a big deal for me right now i have a dvd burner in liv hooked up to the VOOM, so if the kids wants to watch 20/20 they can record it,
all in all I'am Happy with the service im getting. 3 TVS supplied with HDTV sat programming and main tv with local HDTV, all for $125.00 month (stb lease includ.)

IMO other is no other sat or cable co that could supply me with the amount of and quality of HDTV, so if your waiting go for it while the $0.00 deal is on.
In good time I think there bugs and kinks will go away( i can hope).

my VOOM setup with pictures
Free Drive-by Wifi in San Antonio
MR.C

Wtf?

todays reinstall and 24inch dish upgrade, came out with no dish, looked over my system said he would ground my equipment and finish the install, drilled a hole in the wall then came and told me he had to run to home depot he had no cable... LOL. no dish no cable,, I need you guys for? so ill quess i will wait till 6pm to see if they come back, till i call voom and schedule another install...lol,

on 2nd thought im going to radioshack and buying the supplies(cable, ends crimpers, and order my own dish online, install myself and be done with it. and inform voom they can give me credut for my supplies and ill give them 1 yr of service, IM not taking another day off to babysit again.

MR.C
my Quality control visit from installs inc

HDTV in SAN antonio

Technut said:
todays reinstall and 24inch dish upgrade, came out with no dish, looked over my system said he would ground my equipment and finish the install, drilled a hole in the wall then came and told me he had to run to home depot he had no cable... LOL. no dish no cable,, I need you guys for? so ill quess i will wait till 6pm to see if they come back, till i call voom and schedule another install...lol,

on 2nd thought im going to radioshack and buying the supplies(cable, ends crimpers, and order my own dish online, install myself and be done with it. and inform voom they can give me credut for my supplies and ill give them 1 yr of service, IM not taking another day off to babysit again.

MR.C
my Quality control visit from installs inc

Well the wife called me when i was at radioshack, ahe said a tech from Advanced Satillite Technologies had just droped off my bigger dish, and the other installers had called and were on ther way back, so I bought some new speakers (Wireless surroud couldnt make the trip a total lost...lol) got back and after a few min they showeed back up. So new dish was on site, new spool of cable and we were back on track, after a interesting game delay..lol
(all inside wiring and connections were reun by me before they arrived to speed install) so they ran the new seperate ota (split off my big ass OTA antenna) cable to my bedroom bypassing that F%@&ing Multi-switch . and once the diplexor was removed from the back of the box, I had all my OTA channels on my bedrrom tv too, YEAH !!!!!!.... They also installed my new 24 inch DISH which gave me a 97, and its cloudy out, i didnt get that high of a signal on a sunny day with that 18"" dish. and they used a meter to get me the stongest signal(first installer out of 6 Visits to break out a meter). after they completed finish work and omg,, grounding my dish. We saw improved PQ on all my HD and now i have all locals. These guys knew what they were doing. I will post this companies info under the who did your install thread.

after installers left it started to rain and i was able to watch the dish sigal fade with the amount of rain that was falling, but now the signal stays on during a cloudy day, even light rain... but after it started coming down hard it like all other SATILLITE dishs lost signal. but im more than satisfied with the 24 inch it did better than expected.
so im set all locals on 2 of 3 stb's have OTA my son said it wasnt necesary for his room room/Good to great HD quality (depends what ch. and show u know) /fair to good SD quality I expect better quality when VOOM adds more satilite space and possibly windows media IMO there working on it...

so ill sit back now and watch the BEST High def provider entertain my finicky ass. I wish these guys were my first install team they didnt even get on the ph once to installs or voom, after the cost of 6 visits and voom spending $$ on MY big ass OTA antenna & $ 24 inch DISH. I will give them atleast 1 yr. of being a customer 3 stb's with VAVAVOOM package =$125.00 month X 12 months. I would like a HD DVR, i will suffer with my SD tivo till they put out the whole house network DVR. IM willing to wait a year for that leading technology.

MRC

Looks like no world series in HD for SA<TX

Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 09:53:17 -0500
From: "David Ostmo" <dostmo@kabb.sbgnet.com> Add to Address Book
To: "john cranford" <cranjoford@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: FOX in Hi-Def???

Dear John,

The Fox Network will start offering high
definition programming to their
affiliates in September. We intend to offer the
high definition
programming when it becomes available. We
ordered additional equipment
to facilitate Fox HD. If it arrives on
schedule, we hope to have it
ready before the first weekend of regular season
NFL games.

We appreciate your interest in FOX 29. Please
contact me if you have
any additional questions.

David Ostmo
Director of Operations & Engineering
FOX29 / WB35

NOTICE: This e-mail transmission contains
information, which may be
confidential and/or privileged. This information
is intended for use
only by the addressee indicated above. Please be
advised that any
disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the
contents of this
information is strictly prohibited.

john cranford wrote:

>HI,
>
>I was wondering when your station plans to make
the
>move to transmitting in HD? KABB FOX 29 is my
familys
>favorite san antonio channel, We would love to
watch
>the simpsons in HD, the many series that fox
runs
>would look so much better in HD (24, PARIS
HILTON
>etc...) and Live sports in HD is amazing with
Baseball
>playoffs, world series, & the NFL not long off.
>
>we were wondering when u folks were gonna start
>broadcasting in HD?
>
>
>thanks
>J.cranford
>
>
>

I've been having hell troubles with the wife concerning the OTA & the recent blips in service. Makes it almost unwatchable and I have to unplug the STB then plug it back in. Supposedly there is a fix going to be downloaded. Hopefully when the guy comes back on Aug. 13th that my OTA probs will get better. Right now I can only get KSAT when the wind blows right, and KENS if I move the antenna.

I sure hope I can get this fixed someday. I think I'll move to the hi rise on Vance Jackson for a few months see if I can actually get a signal there. :p

Fox San Antonio goes HD

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:54:02 -0500
To: "john cranford" <cranjoford@yahoo.com>
Subject: FOX in HD

Hi John,

I just wanted to let you know that KABB has
increased DTV transmitter
power and is passing through FOX high definition
programming. Please
drop me a line to let me know how our NFL
broadcasts look this Sunday.

David Ostmo
Director of Operations & Engineering
FOX29 / WB35

Mr. C
Free Internet Hotspot ! surf 4 free, at DSL speed in San antonio

Another San Antonio Voom Story

I got V* ordered in mid-July just in time to take advantage of the free equipment and install. Asked for an installation date of 30 July to coincide with delivery of new HDTV. Installs Inc. called twice in the interim to confirm install on 30 July between 8 and 12. Day of install, they call at 1130, they are running late will be there at 2 PM. 3 PM comes and they call again. Having truck problems, can't make it out today, but can come tomorrow (Saturday) at 10 AM. Saturday at 0830, two guys who I can only describe as "Beavis and Butthead" show up (glad I had already had a shower), but apparently these two guys had not. Smelled like yesterday's funk in the South Texas sun. Our winning pair take one look at my roof and trees and decide they can't hit the satellite at all. I show them my existing 10' C-Band dish and mount suggesting it has been hitting 24 satellites for the last ten years and with cables already run, that may be an alternate site. No go. They suggest I dig a hole and install another pole and maybe they'll come back in a few days. They leave. I call V* get apologies. They get me the number for Installs Inc. They apologize and say they'll look for another installer. Meanwhile I take down my old C-band dish leaving a nice platform for install and begin looking at D* on the web. I'm ready to order another service. Low and behold another Installs Inc calls and says he wants to come by, I figured for just a site survey. He shows up and looks at my C-band site and says, we'll give it a try. Although he didn't have the mounting hardware to get the V* dish onto by C-Band pole, he uses cable ties to do a temporary install to see if he can hit the satellite. First try was over 80 on sig strength. Long story short, he was able to reuse my old C-band cables to run two STBs to my house. Although he had to finish the install with cable ties, he got the sig strength up to 95 on the sat and over 85 on the OTA channels. Getting all locals except PBS. Next day I went to Home Depot and got some C clamps and bolted the dish down properly. Rechecked sig strength and now at 97. Got it all installed just in time to watch the Olympics on the local OTA although NBC only showed highlights and they were a day late. Other channels good.

As far as I'm concerned, there were a few issues with install, but it all worked out. I love the signal quality and for the most part the programming. With the no cost equipment and install I've got nothing to lose and will stay with V* until something else better comes up.

Local Channels recived with VOOM STB
at 78244 San Antonio, Texas,
as of sep 29 2004

4-1 good reception NBC HDTV
4-2 decent reception NBC sdTV
5-1 excellent reception CBS HDTV HDTV at its best
5-2 good reception CBS sdTV -- Doppler radar --
9-1 good reception PBS
9-2 PBS
9-3 PBS
9-4 PBS
12-1 good reception ABC HDTV
12-2 not so good rec. ABC sdTV -- ABC news now ch. --
29-1 good reception FOX HDTV
35-1 bad reception WB HDTV
41-1 kwex Spanish
41-2 kwex Spanish
60-1 kvda Spanish

sorry I have no review of 9-2,9-3,9-4,41-1, 41-2, 60-1
not my kind of programming so they have been ignored on my set top box

im using a RCA3030 antenna and a 26db radio shack amp no diplexors. seperate cable run.

Mr. C

Attachments

• LocalVOOM.doc
    24 KB · Views: 188
  • 26dbamp.jpg
    26dbamp.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 172
  • rca3030.jpg
    rca3030.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 163

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)