Sat noob w/ a few ???s

bahumut075

Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
I am so glad I found this site! I just browsed here for the last couple of hours and finally feel comfortable asking questions that I believe are (somewhat) unique :D I also want to warn that this is long, and there are no Cliff's Notes at the bottom :p

My situation is thus: I've got a Sony 60XS955 which has an inboard HD tuner. I just ordered Dish w/ the 942 DVR (Didn't know about the $250 lease program, that was a welcome surprise!) w/ the HD and VOOM packs. I assumed that this would get me the new Dish500, but I am thinking now I should call back to verify (I signed a 12 month agreement). Finally, I don't currently have an OTA antenna.

What I'd like to know is:
1. I have an SDtv in my spare bedroom. This will typically only be used when I have house guests (very infrequently). Is switching between single and dual mode in the 942 as simple as a config screen? Or will I have to go and unplug the coax for TV2?

2. I have digital cable through Cox right now, and when I split the cable from the wall (before the cable box) and put one output into the ANT input on my TV I can usually pull 2 or 3 of the local HD channels OTA - whereas without it I cannot (I honestly don't understand how that would affect it, but it does). I know the signal is scrambled, but has anybody with a built-in HD tuner tried splitting the Coax before the receiver/dvr and throwing it into the ANT in? If so, were you able to pull the local OTAs?

3. I saw another thread that questioned the ability to output via component and HDMI simultaneously... was this confirmed? I did this at a trade show for my company from the DVD player this year and it worked like a champ.

4. This is my only stupid question (I think :D): Does HDMI do both audio and video? I assume it does because the 52" Pioneer plasma we have at work has a custom 50' (yes, feet -- it was like $750) cable setup which has only HDMI and DVI, and I do know for sure that DVI is video only (give this man a cookie!). :)

Thanks for any light you can shed upon these questions!

bahumut075 said:
1. I have an SDtv in my spare bedroom. This will typically only be used when I have house guests (very infrequently). Is switching between single and dual mode in the 942 as simple as a config screen? Or will I have to go and unplug the coax for TV2?

It is as simple as pushing the "mode" button on the front panel. Unfortunately there is no way to do it from the remote.

2. I have digital cable through Cox right now, and when I split the cable from the wall (before the cable box) and put one output into the ANT input on my TV I can usually pull 2 or 3 of the local HD channels OTA - whereas without it I cannot (I honestly don't understand how that would affect it, but it does). I know the signal is scrambled, but has anybody with a built-in HD tuner tried splitting the Coax before the receiver/dvr and throwing it into the ANT in? If so, were you able to pull the local OTAs?

HD channels on digital cable use QAM modulation, a format which isn't supported on the 942. The 942 requires an 8VSB signal, the standard for over-the-air broadcasting.

1. switching modes is as easy as pushing a the mode button on the front of the receiver
2. don't know, never had cable
3. not sure about this one either, all of them i have hooked up, i just used the HDMI
4. and yes, if i remember right, it does

Thanks for the quick replies! I should have clarified that I will not be keeping the cable once Dish is installed (June 11th). I guess I'm not too worried about the OTA signals, and I can always buy an antenna if needs be.

If all I have to do is push a button on the front of the receiver to change between single & dual, I am a happy camper.

I was reading some of the other threads about piping the DVR movies, etc over to a dvd-writer -- which is where my question about running component/hdmi simultaneously. I guess I'll find out in 9 days :D

Thanks again!

moving question please help

Existing Customer: Dish HD Options

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)