Satellite Changes Coming - May 31st, 2015

For those that call dish on wa, what are they getting.....mpeg2 or mpeg4 equipment?

I helped a guy not long ago that had a bad 301, dish said they were sending a 211 but they sent a 311 instead.

WA gets MPEG 2 unless they diu. I beleive the legacy equipment, if put in correctly, gets 211's, but 99% of the csr put it in incorrectly, so it will send a 311.

722 would ultimately be the best bet. Especially if they don't care for hd at tv2 for any reason. Same price, more options. Better technology. Nothing but benefits.

Still got a 3800 and 3900 here.They are like timex watches, they just keep ticking along.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Ye$, that i$ curiou$. I'm $ure there mu$t be $ome rea$on for $uch a policy, but I'm $tumped a$ to what it could po$$ibly be.

IF they got a year commitment or two years commitment, they would make their money back by keeping the customers subscribed for that length of time . If they broke their contract they would pay a big sum like they already do. I don't see how the penny wise /pound foolish mind set helps DISH in the long run.

Doesn't Dish do this through their Dishin' It Up promotion?
Maybe they do ,but I don't think that they offer it free . There is always a fee associated with your credit level that DISH scores you by. The better credit pays less up front. But the majority of the poor credit subs don't have the money to pay up front and so they don't upgrade. Also a lot of customers, regardless of credit issues, won't upgrade at all if there is any money up front expected. This might be why it has taken so long to transition western arc to all mpeg 4 receivers.

722 would ultimately be the best bet. Especially if they don't care for hd at tv2 for any reason. Same price, more options. Better technology. Nothing but benefits.
Which is why I think the ViP722 series is not long for this world. After WA goes MPEG-4, what's next? TV2 outs.

THEN they come after TheKrell, that Luddite with ViP612s hidden in his hayloft!

:D

Reactions: TheKrell
IF they got a year commitment or two years commitment, they would make their money back by keeping the customers subscribed for that length of time . If they broke their contract they would pay a big sum like they already do. I don't see how the penny wise /pound foolish mind set helps DISH in the long run.
Not hardly. They are already making X dollars. Increase their STB expenses by Y dollars, and they make X-Y dollars. I'm sure they have some experts calculating when the tipping point for short term losses for long term gains is. But are they reading entrails when they do that?

Now with the Hopper series, maybe they could introduce a low ball cheapo version, maybe with only two tuners, maybe even with either no HDD or a very small storage for trick plays only, and the single TV support of today. Then it might be easier to entice a customer to add a Joey down the line. Then a full Hopper....

THEN it might be easier to retire old MPEG-2 boxes. The new hardware would be cheap enough, maybe.

is this only for mpeg2 QPSK receivers as 301 and olders? or it will include mpeg2 8QPSK receivers as 311s as well?

For those that call dish on wa, what are they getting.....mpeg2 or mpeg4 equipment?

I helped a guy not long ago that had a bad 301, dish said they were sending a 211 but they sent a 311 instead.

Because, officially, Dish is changing out all WA QPSK boxes for 8PSK, not MPEG4. Dish SD 8PSK capable boxes include 311, 322, 512, and I think 381, and 625 and 522. Of course, all HD STB's are not only 8PSK, but MPEG4, as well.

Now what is strange is that I've talked to two WA Dish subscribers who have had the same experience: Dish has already, VERY recently (we're talking a few months) changed all their old SD QPSK boxes for like model, refurbished like brand new 8PSK boxes. Neither subscriber had HD services nor HD equipment. Then they moved via Dish Home Mover to a new residence and took their boxes with them to the new residence. When the Dish tech showed up at the new residence, he said he was supposed to install all new boxes for the new residence. When they questioned this, the tech showed them that it was, indeed, on the work order that he was to install all HD equipment and all at NO CHARGE, even though they have no HD services and Dish payed out its own pocket to get them up to 8PSK. So, the install was brand new WA Dish 1000, and all HD boxes although neither subscribers has nor wants HD services. Of course, I don't think HD was the matter. I think the point is that the install changed out their SD 8PSK for all MPEG4 boxes. And it was confirmed by Dish it was their work order and all at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE and NO additional fees on the bill.

So, has Dish changed their minds and decided to forget an 8PSK change over for the WA, and instead go for all MPEG4? Considering Dish was planning on the 8PSK change to occur this fall, and now is pushing whatever change back to May of next year, it seems possible. Of course, all of us here on this forum had been wanting Dish to just go all the way for MPEG4 from the start. Not official, of course, but IMHO, Dish is now going for an all MPEG4 at the WA. It makes no sense for CHEAP CHARLIE to pay out of his pocket a full upgrade to 8PSK for subscribers, and then pay another expensive upgrade at HIS cost to MPEG4 in only a matter of months. It only makes sense if Charlie has seen the light and decided to go all MPEG4 at the WA. That would be great news as his recovery of bandwidth would be greater changing the WA to all MPEG4

Last edited:
When I switched to Dish two years ago I got a 722 for the house and they upgraded a 501, that I owned, to a 512 for the shop and RV. Will the 512 need to be changed out in May of next year???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts