Satellite pole broke off from rust, need some assistance

cpalmer2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
United States
Last week while we were out of town our satellite pole broke off due to rust. I contacted DirecTV and they sent out a contract tech that obviously had no clue what he was doing a few days ago. He put up a new pole but didn't let the foam insulation dry long enough, so the pole is off level slightly. Our old one was too though, so I don't think that is the entire issue here. He said he got the dish lined back up good enough for us to use it until he could come back, but so far we haven't gotten a return visit and the wife is getting annoyed so I decided to take a stab at it.

We get about 75% signal strength on 101, but nothing significant or usable on any other satellites.

The install screen lists the following specs for our area: Elevation 44, Azimuth 218

I *believe* the Elevation is set correctly, but the technician messed with it so I am not certain. I'm attaching a photo of all the measurements I can see, as well as the pole, LNB, etc. Does anyone see anything unusual on the surface that could be causing the issue? I tried rotating the dish on the past slowly back and forth left and right but I still can't get above 75-76%. In the past I was always in the high 80-90's with 100 on some transponders.

Our neighbor also had the same issue- their dish broke off in a windstorm back on November 30th. The same technician set theirs back up, and it fell again this past week. He reinstalled theirs at the same time he was at our house a few days ago. Theirs doesn't work right either, which also leads me to believe he just doesn't know what he is doing.

Attachments

• D29A7529-5D19-4C25-BA63-4FD8A72C8E3B.jpeg
    D29A7529-5D19-4C25-BA63-4FD8A72C8E3B.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 933CF3A1-5547-42F7-B418-49FE12F539DB.jpeg
    933CF3A1-5547-42F7-B418-49FE12F539DB.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 7DADCDA7-4CC6-4AA9-9DE2-08500791F347.jpeg
    7DADCDA7-4CC6-4AA9-9DE2-08500791F347.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 95
They should put gravel in the bottom of the hole and force the pole down into it then add the foam.

You want the pole to drain out the bottom to prevent it from filling with water and rusting off.

Last week while we were out of town our satellite pole broke off due to rust. I contacted DirecTV and they sent out a contract tech that obviously had no clue what he was doing a few days ago. He put up a new pole but didn't let the foam insulation dry long enough, so the pole is off level slightly. Our old one was too though, so I don't think that is the entire issue here. He said he got the dish lined back up good enough for us to use it until he could come back, but so far we haven't gotten a return visit and the wife is getting annoyed so I decided to take a stab at it.

We get about 75% signal strength on 101, but nothing significant or usable on any other satellites.

The install screen lists the following specs for our area: Elevation 44, Azimuth 218

I *believe* the Elevation is set correctly, but the technician messed with it so I am not certain. I'm attaching a photo of all the measurements I can see, as well as the pole, LNB, etc. Does anyone see anything unusual on the surface that could be causing the issue? I tried rotating the dish on the past slowly back and forth left and right but I still can't get above 75-76%. In the past I was always in the high 80-90's with 100 on some transponders.

Our neighbor also had the same issue- their dish broke off in a windstorm back on November 30th. The same technician set theirs back up, and it fell again this past week. He reinstalled theirs at the same time he was at our house a few days ago. Theirs doesn't work right either, which also leads me to believe he just doesn't know what he is doing.
i have news for ya alot of techs have no idea what there doing let alone what's going on :facepalm