Satellite safety

SRNX

Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Hi guys

not sure if i am in the right section apologise if i am not

the company i work for has just taken on a contract for the emergency services which involves some satellite work i have had no prior experirnce with satellites all i know is that these particular dishes are approximatley 1 meter wide and that they transmit and receive signals which connect to a modem.

My question is as we are sometimes required to work directly in front of these dishes which at a rough guess is probably on an angle of about 60 degrees is there any danger with rf emmisions? as i am having trouble getting a clear answer on this.

Thanks

satellite dishes that power the internet like. "wild blue.. they recommend that you stay 5 feet away from the front of the dish.... they do not recommend that you put your hand in the front of the dish while the dish is powed..

The warnings vary by company, Starband's only warning is to not place any part of your body between the lnbf and the reflector, it is best to check on the manufacturers website or to contact them directly or just wait until the product arives and check out the included instruction manual.

Depending the transmit power, you can be harmed if you are in the path for extended periods. If you are in the path, the dishes cannot be used, and little transmission takes place. Sort of a self correcting situation. The bottom line is you should stay out of the signal path. If you decide you are in the signal path, and you want to shut down the dish operation. Just put a wet towel over the feed horn (The things looking back at the dish). You will kill all signal transmission.

The arm that extends from the base of the dish to the front does not represent the angle the dish is sending signal. Usually that angle is between 10 and 22 degrees higher than the look angle of the Dish.

FCC law requires that the dish be high enough that you cannot be in the path, or if on a low mount and accessible to the public, be fenced off to prevent someone from getting in the path. Roof mounts are not accessible to the public so they are exempt.