SatelliteGuys FIRST LOOK - DISH's Hopper and Joey

I believe it has been stated that timers for PTAT shows do NOT tie up another tuner- they just retieve the shows from the Dish partition to your saved recordings. Can someone please verify?

Then I guess I don't understand the issue from your quote.

Are you not trying to keep shows you want to watch from disappearing from PTAT after 8 days?

OK. I re-read your original post and I understand what you are saying. Even if I set up a timer for a prime time show during PTAT recording, only one tuner is being used.

I suppose I was trying to avoid setting up a ton of timers, but it's 6 one way and half a dozen another. Even if there was a "Subscribe to Save", it would be just like setting up a timer.

So, in the scenario you describe, if I set up four timers (one for each PTAT network) for the exact same time, only one tuner would be used and their priority order would not matter?

Alright, I just tried it. I attempted to record 4 shows tonight at the same time on ABC, CBS, FOX & NBC.

• Problem #1: All 4 timers were skipped due to the shows being in the PTAT.
  • Problem #2: I had to view all timers (included skipped timers) and attempt to restore those timers. I don't want to have to restore timers every week just because the shows I want to save are included in PTAT.
  • Problem #3: When I restored the timers, they indeed indicated that they would be using an additional tuner. So, when I attempted to restore several tuners, priority kicked in and I was unable to record the four shows plus PTAT.

This, currently, is not at all user friendly. I just want a "Save Series" feature in PTAT that allows me to keep shows longer than 8 days automatically. It's really not that difficult. When I click on a show that was already recorded by PTAT, in addition to the "Save" option, there should be a "Save Series" option. That will keep me from having to set up timers and get into all kinds of priority issues.

Alright, I just tried it. I attempted to record 4 shows tonight at the same time on ABC, CBS, FOX & NBC.
  • Problem #1: All 4 timers were skipped due to the shows being in the PTAT.
  • Problem #2: I had to view all timers (included skipped timers) and attempt to restore those timers. I don't want to have to restore timers every week just because the shows I want to save are included in PTAT.
  • Problem #3: When I restored the timers, they indeed indicated that they would be using an additional tuner. So, when I attempted to restore several tuners, priority kicked in and I was unable to record the four shows plus PTAT.
This, currently, is not at all user friendly. I just want a "Save Series" feature in PTAT that allows me to keep shows longer than 8 days automatically. It's really not that difficult. When I click on a show that was already recorded by PTAT, in addition to the "Save" option, there should be a "Save Series" option. That will keep me from having to set up timers and get into all kinds of priority issues.

You haven't given it a chance to work. Yes they will show skipped in the event list, but they will also automatically be saved off from PTA.

Delete the timers you just made to make sure you start from a clean slate. Then re-do the timers and then leave them alone. They should show as skipped.

Tonight you will see the shows saved to both your regular DVR folder and your PTA folder, and it will only take a single tuner. You will still have two tuners available for non-PTA events.

And that is why i will keep my 722 and 612. Maybe when Dish lets people get just two Hoppers I will think about it. Joey's seem to be problematical. Hopefully Dish will realize the potential this DVR could have and make it more Family Friendly to use. Needing to add a HIC to get DLNA working, Not able to save a whole series from PTAT, this is all functions i would think would of been resolved in Beta testing.

And that is why i will keep my 722 and 612. Maybe when Dish lets people get just two Hoppers I will think about it. Joey's seem to be problematical. Hopefully Dish will realize the potential this DVR could have and make it more Family Friendly to use. Needing to add a HIC to get DLNA working, Not able to save a whole series from PTAT, this is all functions i would think would of been resolved in Beta testing.

As for "Family Friendly" my wife and kids have already adjusted and are getting along just fine and love it. For my wife that says a lot.

A "Save Series" button in PTAT folder might be nice tweak, but is not needed. Just create a "record this series" timer from the guide and you're set. Chet is overthinking it. If you set the timer it all just works.

I don't know of any Joey issues once installed. Ours have been fine.

HIC is a small issue, if you know going in then just be sure to get one. I could have gotten by without it, but actually wanted it one keep the hopper location wiring simpler, even though I already had wired ethernet there.

I had two 722s and have no regrets. The apps and some other "extras" are not quite there yet, but so far other than manual timers and OTA I can't think of anything the 722 did that does not seem stable on the Hopper.

All that said, there is definitely room for improvement. If OTA or Hopper integration is a deal breaker then wait. No one should ever buy based on something that is not on the shelf or in the box.

For me, if the extras come along then great. If not, I'm still much better off than I was.

Right now my only hold up is the fact that i am being told I need to have two Joeys if I want two Hoppers. To me this is Dish just racking in more money from me, as i only have two TV's and do not plan to add anymore to my family of 4
yet I need to have more then 3 tuners, thus the two Hoppers. I have had my 722 and 612 since Dec of 08 and being thuis would be another 2 year contract with me, you'd think Dish would be happy to take my $200 and be fine with that.

I have 7 receivers on my account. Two hoppers and 4 joeys will cover 6 of my 7 receivers. Will Dish let me get two hoppers, 4 joeys and let me keep my 922?

Also will the joeys and or hoppers work with google tv?

Can someone go over the fees for the hoppers and joeys? Is it cheaper the same or more expensive then a current setup?

emdev2 said:
I have 7 receivers on my account. Two hoppers and 4 joeys will cover 6 of my 7 receivers. Will Dish let me get two hoppers, 4 joeys and let me keep my 922?

Can someone go over the fees for the hoppers and joeys? Is it cheaper the same or more expensive then a current setup?

No, Dish is not allowing mixing ViPs and the Hopper / Joey system. The Google TV will work, but it won't be integrated like it is on the 722. What recievers do you have currently?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I have a 922, 722k, 722, 622, 612, 211, 3900. If they don't allow mixing what happens with the people that have 7 or more receivers? I know im not the onlynone. Can someone answer my other questions also?

emdev2 said:
I have a 922, 722k, 722, 622, 612, 211, 3900. If they don't allow mixing what happens with the people that have 7 or more receivers? I know im not the onlynone. Can someone answer my other questions also?

If you need more than 6 tuners than the Hopper is not for you. I answered your other questions in my other post.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

With the prime time recording feature using 1 tuner I think I can get away with a 6 tuner system because a lot of my recording is prime time network tv. I just need 7 boxes because I have 7 tv's in the house. How can I make this work. Also with the family 3 or 4 tv's max are on at the same time so I think a 6 tuner setup will be ok.

I also need clarification that the 6 tuners on the two hoppers are all sat tuners? When they add the ota tuners will it be one tuner or two with each hopper?

Also the question I need an answer for is the fee's involved. That wasn't answered.

$10 + $7 for each outlet after the first, so a 2H 4J system would be $45 in monthly fees.

You would need a 2H 5J system for those 7 TVs. Which would be $42 per month in receiver fees plus the $6 DVR fee and the $4 Whole-Home fee. The six tuners are all sat tuners and Dish is currently estimating that OTA support will be available this summer. They have not said whether or not the OTA USB dongle will have one or two tuners.

Ok alittle confusing between your two answers. $10 + 7 first answer.$45 receiver fees.
Second answer $7 receiver fees. $6 Dvr fee. $4 whole house fee. Which is correct? Is the $6 Dvr fee per hopper or per account? What is the $4 whole house fee?

Ok alittle confusing between your two answers. $10 + 7 first answer.$45 receiver fees.
Second answer $7 receiver fees. $6 Dvr fee. $4 whole house fee. Which is correct? Is the $6 Dvr fee per hopper or per account? What is the $4 whole house fee?

The DVR fee is per account, you are charged it now as you have DVRs. The Whole-Home fee is what you pay in addition to the DVR fee if you have the Hopper / Joey system. Dare is correct on the fees for the 2H 4J system, I was giving you the monthly fees for a 2H 5J system. The $45 includes the DVR and Whole-Home fees.

Yes, for those with more than 2 receivers now, the fees will usually end up being lower, unless all your extra receivers are 211s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)