SatelliteGuys FIRST LOOK - DISH's Hopper and Joey

Hi Scott, Great review! Quick question, what are the steps to turn off "Limited Mode" so the remote can change the inputs on the TV? Had the same problem with my 922 receiver/remote. Thanks

I'v also notice that most of the people bashing the Hopper are DTV subs and backers. I'm a Dish fan and retailer so my view is a little skewed towards Dish but I never bad mouth DTV. I happen to think they have a great product too. It's great for everyone to have options.

Well I was bashing the Hopper/Joey when I was still a DishNetwork customer. As soon as I saw the information on the system and how they neutered it and threw it together with only 3 tuners due to costs issues, my mind was made up and went for the 5 tuner "Hopper" from DirecTV with 3 "Joey"s from DirecTV for a grand total of 8 tuners in the house instead of only 3 tuners for 4 TV's. Cheaper monthly cost, more channels, more features, and more tuners. It was a win-win for me. And actually now I have 9 tuners for the 4 TVs for the same monthly cost as I added another DVR to the multi-room viewing.

I'm not sat-racist at all, I can care less which company it comes from, it all comes down to the features and price for me. No way was I going to listen to the wife and kids complain about the 3 tuners every night, not my idea of fun especially for the amount of money you pay every month.

It should be noted that is more of a Coax identifier. It doesn't actually test the coax. Kinda like a tone and probe kit (I find them easier to use since you just have to put it near the wire instead of hooking up to it.

Sperry ET64220 Lan Tracker Wire Tracer; 1/Clam, 2 Clams/Master: Amazon.com: Home Improvement
Amazon.com: Fluke PRO3000 Tone and Probe Kit: Home Improvement

To really test coax you need a proper sweep testing tool.

Luckily we are all entitled to our own opinions here. You are right about 1 Hopper not being enough, for people like us. I doubt I will rarely sell 2 Hoppers to customers. Most don't need it and others won't pay the extra fees. Most of our customers just have 1 dual tuner mirrored to multiple TVs. Most of our customers rarely fill up their DVRs too.

The problem with the views we share here on SatelliteGuys are we only seem to think about ourselves and our own personal situations. No one seems to think about the big picture like Dish is. This will be a smart roll out for Dish. They'll be able to learn from the initial launch and can make adjustments later. If Dish finds that more people want more tuners then they can add that to a new model in the future.

I'v also notice that most of the people bashing the Hopper are DTV subs and backers. I'm a Dish fan and retailer so my view is a little skewed towards Dish but I never bad mouth DTV. I happen to think they have a great product too. It's great for everyone to have options.

But, as individual subs, aren't we supposed to be concerned with 'ourselves and our own personal situations'?? While I like Dish and want it to remain a viable company, there is nothing wrong about expressing why or why not this setup in its current state is right for us....

A agree. THe hopper should of been a 6 tuner receiver WITH ota support from the start. Right now you are limited by the lack of both. IF it had 6 tuners it would of been ready now and there would be no wait for two hopper integration. I can see a lot of frustration for those who like to still surf tv like my Dad. If he comes up on a show recording right now on his 722k and he doesn't want to watch it , he hits stop and no show recorded. So for older people this will confuse the hell out of them. Without ota , it is complete no go for many ,including me. Can't watch Metv or any other sub channels that DISH doesn't carry.

The Hopper should have had 6 tuners. It should have had OTA today. It should have had 8 tuners. I should have been a millionaire. There should be world peace. I should be a movie star and handsome.

I don't think there's a problem with anyone saying it doesn't work for them. But to generalize that into posts along the lines of "it's a failure because it doesn't do everything and then some" is unrealistic.

The design goal here was to get the bulk of their installation scenarios covered with a few units. We are the minority of the customer base -- power users usually are.

I don't think there's a problem with anyone saying it doesn't work for them. But to generalize that into posts along the lines of "it's a failure because it doesn't do everything and then some" is unrealistic.

The design goal here was to get the bulk of their installation scenarios covered with a few units. We are the minority of the customer base -- power users usually are.
Exactly ... :)

Hi Scott, Great review! Quick question, what are the steps to turn off "Limited Mode" so the remote can change the inputs on the TV? Had the same problem with my 922 receiver/remote. Thanks
Simple, go into settings, then Remote Settings, then click on Limited Mode and turn it off (it is on by default)

Just wanted to pass that tip on as I know others will be wondering why they can't fully control their TV with the new Hopper remote. :D

It should be noted that is more of a Coax identifier. It doesn't actually test the coax.
You are correct it will only tell you if there is a short in the line and of course identify the cable. I purchased this one as I had so much cable coming into my house and most of the runs were not labeled so I had no idea what was what. By using this I was able to tell what every cable was and where it went to so I could properly label each cable and where its going to. :)

Scott - Great overall first impression - thanks! Can you tell me if the Joeys have their own favorites lists, or if they have to use the Hopper's?

Great write up Scott - have had two 722s for over 3 years now - certainly considering upgrading. It would be nice to record something and be able to watch it on any of the 4 connected tvs in the house. I don't need more than 3 tuners at a time. My biggest question is the Blockbuster at Home app - I'm a subscriber. My main complaint right now is that there is more media available on a pc than through the 722 box. So my workaround has been to connect my macbook pro through the thunderbolt port and a hdmi adapter - load what is available online through dishonline but not on the 722, then run that to the tv. PITA. It sounds like from your review the new Blockbuster at Home has access to everything that is available online. Can you confirm that please?

Scott - Great overall first impression - thanks! Can you tell me if the Joeys have their own favorites lists, or if they have to use the Hopper's?

I tested this when I first got it and it appeared the Favorites lists were shared between the receivers. I dont know if its changed since then though.

I'm a long-time Dish customer with a 622 downstairs and a 722 upstairs. What would Dish charge me to swap out for a Hopper and a Joey?

Also, the Joey would go upstairs and be connected to my 106" projection theater. Is there any loss of image quality due to the retransmission over coax? On a screen that big, I don't want to notice extra artifacts.

I'm a long-time Dish customer with a 622 downstairs and a 722 upstairs. What would Dish charge me to swap out for a Hopper and a Joey?

Also, the Joey would go upstairs and be connected to my 106" projection theater. Is there any loss of image quality due to the retransmission over coax? On a screen that big, I don't want to notice extra artifacts.
It would be $99 and the PQ on the joeys is as good as it is on the Hoppers. :)

That's how On Demand should be... not like the 922 where only 4 shows to Watch now appears.
That's the way I was always expecting the On Demand to be, arranged by channels and with more stuff.

If one was to make a investment in a two hopper system then the three tuners would go to six?

John Kotches said:
On the picture of the solo node, there are only 2 inputs for satellite feeds, one for the hopper (to host) and one to the joeys (to client). I thought there were supposed to be 3 satellite inputs to replace existing DPP switches.

Don't know what I'm missing, but clearly it's something.
It actually requires 2 lines from a DPP switch (the duo node takes 3).

DPP takes part of 2 LNBs, leaving one in the legacy freq range and stacking the other in the DishPro range. I believe the node is taking part of the 2nd DPP output and stacking it into the new higher dpX range. The duo node then must be taking the other part of that 2nd DPP output along with a 3rd for the 2nd Hopper for a total of 6 tuners.

Well, for right now, it'll be 2 sets of 3 tuners :D

Hmmm for my setup, I'd want a hopper for the living room and joey for master bedroom, then hopper for kid 1 and joey for kid 2. I have 2 teenagers that watch and record alot.

Will the joeys be able to watch recorded content from BOTH hoppers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts