SatelliteGuys Live Recap - Dish Retailer Chat 2/4/09

This is simply not true. Any of the FOXnews HD or BusinessHD is not going to go to the turbo packs. They want to see how popular the HD programing becomes in the next few weeks specially with the june digital switch, before they add any new programing to the Turbo HD only packs. The dish web site that shows the foxnews HD listed in bronze and the foxbusiness in gold turbo packs are mistakes. Also before any NEW HD added will not be added to the Turbo packs till they see how profitable; popular it is. we will see in april or may what is bein done with the turbo HD only packs watch.

And how do you know this?

Dish is offering free locals for 1 year for all Free For All new customers who subscribe to DishFAMILY or higher and the $5/month locals package. 12 monthly credits of $5 each will be applied. (*Latino Packages not included)
Does anyone know if this will apply to DishDVR Advantage packages? If not, it would make sense to drop DDA and add locals and the DVR service separately (for a year) just to get the discount.

Both Fox News HD and Fox Business HD have been removed from the TurboHD channel lineups on Dishnetwork.com. They were there earlier this afternoon.

This is simply not true. Any of the FOXnews HD or BusinessHD is not going to go to the turbo packs. They want to see how popular the HD programing becomes in the next few weeks specially with the February 17th digital switch, before they add any new programing to the Turbo HD only packs. The dish web site that shows the foxnews HD listed in bronze and the foxbusiness in gold turbo packs are mistakes. Also before any NEW HD added will not be added to the Turbo packs till they see how profitable; popular it is. we will see in april or may what is bein done with the turbo HD only packs watch.

Well, this clearly is not what I signed up for when I went TurboHD.

So what happens if they decide that TurboHD is not that popular ... will TurboHD become another AbsoluteHD?

To me the TurboHD packs have no choice but to be profitable. With the Classic Bronze you are paying for 100 channels at $35. For $10 more you are paying for 50 plus HD channels (24 are non PPV/OnDemand). With the TurboHD Bronze, for $30 you are paying for the same 50 plus channels that you get with $10 prior.

This is simply not true. Any of the FOXnews HD or BusinessHD is not going to go to the turbo packs. They want to see how popular the HD programing becomes in the next few weeks specially with the june digital switch, before they add any new programing to the Turbo HD only packs. The dish web site that shows the foxnews HD listed in bronze and the foxbusiness in gold turbo packs are mistakes. Also before any NEW HD added will not be added to the Turbo packs till they see how profitable; popular it is. we will see in april or may what is bein done with the turbo HD only packs watch.
WOW, so they are jacking up rates on the HD-only packages and NOT giving new HD channels -- that are currently available -- to those customers! :confused: WOW, it is almost as if DISH is trying to piss off customers!!!

Well, this clearly is not what I signed up for when I went TurboHD.

So what happens if they decide that TurboHD is not that popular ... will TurboHD become another AbsoluteHD?

To me the TurboHD packs have no choice but to be profitable. With the Classic Bronze you are paying for 100 channels at $35. For $10 more you are paying for 50 plus HD channels (24 are non PPV/OnDemand). With the TurboHD Bronze, for $30 you are paying for the same 50 plus channels that you get with $10 prior.

Dunno what will happen to turbo but everyone that has the HD absolute will continue to keep it at the current price for the next 4 months.

Not happy. :(

I CAN NOT believe they justify raising my price $10 a month by adding news channels. I mean COME ON...who gets their news over the TV nowadays anyway. I get mine immediate via the internet as MOST of the world does today.

They didn't justify raising your bill by adding news channels. They raised your bill for the 40 HD channels they added last year. Didn't you realize that you WERE UNDERPAYING for an entire year now?:D

Welp...we all got excited again, and got nothing but a put-off till "Spring"...imagine that.

E*'s HD carrot still dangles out in front of us.

WOW, so they are jacking up rates on the HD-only packages and NOT giving new HD channels -- that are currently available -- to those customers! :confused: WOW, it is almost as if DISH is trying to piss off customers!!!

They probably have a plan, the problem is that they don't communicate that plan to anybody. If they don't have a plan then yes, they probably just want to piss off their customers and leave to Directv. :(

No one is going to find anything out until dish wants you to know. That has been proven over and over. No rumors,"breaking news" or posts are near accurate. Just look at the 14 channels we were reported to get and onlt half of them were reported true by dish today. They threw foxnewshd and foxbusiness at us just to prove we nor anyone has any "inside guy". they will do what they want when they want. As any FatCat will do just to show the supposed "insiders" up.

Regarding Hall's comment about 50 HD Local-into-Locals being announced: Well, as one of the previously announced DMAs that Dish added to their HD Local Markets list, I would contend that one HD feed does not an HD Local-into-Local Market make.

Yep, out of the 6 HD stations we have available OTA in the South Bend/Elkhart, Indiana DMA, our NBC affiliate is the only one currently available via DishNetwork. So, excuse me if I don't get all worked up about Dish announcing another 50 HD markets.

Plus, my friend in Indianapolis, IN, has been waithing for-ev-er for his locals in HD via his Dish. He was cheesed that we got uplinked before he did. Of course, it was just the ONE CHANNEL... I bet he'll get all of his HD locals before we get ours... :(

man, i really thought we were going to see at least speedhd and fxhd today because of the other foxhd that we got. oh well, congrats to those that are getting ready to get your locals in hd. i am still waiting on my ABC to go live.

They want to see how popular the Turbo HD only packs are before addin any new HD to them.

First of all, repeating the exact same thing you just said is not the same thing as explaining.

If they overprice the Turbo packages (which they are unless they add a ton to them) and specifically leave out high demand channels, of course they will be unpopular.

"I'm publishing a book. I'm going to see how popular it is before I write anything, though."

"I'm opening a bar. I'm not going to stock it with alcohol until I see how popular it is, though."

:rolleyes:

If there's any truth to what you're saysing...which I doubt...they aren't trying to "see how popular they are". They're trying to kill it. But I can't imagine why they would want to have people grandfathered into MULTIPLE obsolete packages.

XM/Sirius may have designed new packages to make congress happy even though they don't expect anyone to buy them. But DISH was not forced into the Turbo packages. They designed them to make money. Why on earth would they sabotage themselves?

The packages are a total joke since the price increase...the assumption that something was in the works to make them legitimate basic packages was the only thing that made sense. I personally would consider them if they were "complete", but they aren't.

And what does the "digital switch" have to do with anything? That's really what my "what the hell" was directed at.

"Yes, we carry those HD channels. Well, no, not in our HD packages. But they're there!"

(Meanwhile, there's people like me who don't want them, but they come in just fine.)
+1 Sparks!!!

For some reason I laughed at your post more than anyone else so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)